• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found my "no bus" ,still crank and no start

The "thing" is a capacitor for the ignition system to reduce electronic noise. It's labeled as such in the picture you posted ;)

There is a known problem in certain year XJ's and TJ's that the clockspring in the steering column can short the 5v reference in the PCM.
The diagnosis is unplugging the clockspring and then cranking it over.

There is a known problem in certain year XJ's and TJ's that the clockspring in the steering column can short the 5v reference in the PCM.
The diagnosis is unplugging the clockspring and then cranking it over.
So where does one find this clockspring connector to unplug of which you speak??

First and foremost, you need to find out why there is no communication to the scan tool. Diagnosing this problem may well also fix the no start.
The most basic and #1 step for diagnosing communication is checking that the PCM has a good power feed and good ground.

Check for power and ground at the PCM like this:

disconnect all 3 PCM connectors. the black one is connector 1 (C1) You can see the terminal numbers if you look closely at the connector face.

with a test light connected to ground and the key ON, carefully probe terminals 2 and 22. both should light brightly.. if not, check fuse 11 in the junction block, and fuse 22 in the PDC, respectively.
turn the key off
connect the test light to batt+ and probe terminals 31 and 32. the test light should light brightly. if not, check for good continuity in the ground circuit.

Thanks a bunch Digger! The shop (Ft Myer auto skills hobby shop) is closed now so it will be Wednesday evening before I can go over and check it out. Great info and I appreciate it more than Thank you can cover. Ill let you know what that turns up.

any single one of the 5v fed engine management sensors can cause a no bus situation.

what's happening (most likely) is that you're seeing no bus on the odometer because the PCM is shutting itself off. That's why you've got no OBD port.

Start unplugging engine management stuff one at a time. Unplugg something, turn the key to run, see if the fuel gauge works.

I've had oil sender and TPS failure and shut the jeep off with the same error. Anything that's fed 5V from the PCM may cause this.
That's your #1 suspect is something on that 5V rail after you verify power and ground to the PCM.

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. A buddy of mine and I went through the wiring again last night and it still won't fire. Here's what we tested.
-crank sensor. Good w 5v
-cam sensor. Good w 5v.
-tps. Good w 5v.
-map sensor. Good w 5v.
-pulled the connections off the computer and did the test for them. All good.
-realized my key fob wasn't working because I had gutted the interior. Put the dome light back in (the receiver for the fob is in it) , put new batteries in the fob, it works fine again.
Checked all the fuses (again!) and all good.
In not getting "no bus" anymore as it was traced to the airbag module not being installed on the transmission tunnel.
The fancy shop snap on scan tool will connect but not read any data.
My buddy used his weird phone app scan tool thingy since we figured maybe it would do something different. Well, it does... Sorta. It is able to "see" some stuff. Reads fuel, voltage, temp, and some other things. But what it does not see are rpms. Interesting. We crank the jeep and everything except the rpms register on his phone. So that brings me back to the crank sensor... Maybe? I am stumped. He's stumped too.
I guess ill go by the store and see if I can buy another crank sensor and see if that helps. Can't see how it would as the one in there tests fine but what else can I try?

did you use the stock flywheel?

aftermarkets have a known issue of the windows being off time, and the diameter of the tone ring slightly too small, causing too much air gap for the sensor.

Well... I give up. I've exhausted every thought, clue, and gesso I could come up with. Have to start looking for an electrical guru to come figure it out. Can't wait to see what that will cost...

did you unplug all of the 5v sensors one at a time?
Yup.. tried that and found nothing. Actually did it twice because we started and found no 5v immediately for the cam sensor. Sweet!, right?
Nope.
We forgot to plug the black back in the cps. Doh!
Only thing I haven't messed with is the clockspring thing. Can't say I honestly understand what it is or how It could effect things...
I'm just hopeful the guru will find it tomorrow so I can fix it and move along.

Back