• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanchee bed trailer

Prepmech said:
Trailer should be painted by this weekend, hopefully.

Had an interesting experience with it last week. Used it to haul a 4wheeler to work. The 4wheeler fit great between the trailer's wheelwells and had plenty of room to put the tailgate up. One disadvantage I've noticed with the MJ springs is that they have quite a bit of travel, the trailer's stance easily changes by a few inches when it is loaded or unloaded. A friend of mine rode the 4wheeler off of the trailer on ramps. When the weight of the 4wheeler shifted to the ramps the trailer raised up a few inches, the ramps slid off of the tailgate and the 4wheeler was dropped to the ground. My friend rode it out like a pro and landed it on all 4 wheels, but it was pretty spooky.

Add a leafs to stiffen it up?

WaXJ_Skier said:
Add a leafs to stiffen it up?

I hate to make it sit any higher than it already does. I think I am just going to use a little more caution when unloading stuff from now on. Maybe put a ratchet strap from the frame to the axle to hold it down when unloading.

I could put a 4wheeler winch behind the rear bumper and use it as a suck down winch when loading and unloading, then spool the cable out the rear to straighten it out when it gets sideways on trails. It would be nice to have the whole trailer lower at a push of a button when I need to put something heavy in it. I need to put some more thought into it.

Got it back from the paint shop, it looks pretty good. Still have to put my flares and rear bumper on, and the bedliner back in. Hope to have pics tomorrow.

WHERE ARE THE PICTS !!!!

Also how long is your tongue ?? Would you want it longer or the same length ?

Curt

I didn't get a chance to get pics last weekend, was too busy putting it back together. I'll get some this weekend. It looks great now with the flares on.

The tounge length has worked out great, the trailer follows the jeep almost perfectly. I can zig-zag through trees without having to worry about the trailer getting caught up on one. I'll measure it for you this weekend.

I've got some work to do on the wiring. I am going to make a new harness that includes wires for the trailer brakes, and hook up the reverse lights on a switch mounted on the rear bumper so I can turn them on to help set up camp. I'm trying to find some LED reverse lights so that they don't draw as much power and stay cool when left on for long periods of time. The bumper should go on this weekend as well.

Wiring is done, going to try to get the bumper on yet this weekend.

trailer002-1.jpg

trailer001-1.jpg

Looks good!

Were you pleased with Tony's work?

HaleYes said:
Looks good!

Were you pleased with Tony's work?

The paint needs quite a bit of work sanding/buffing to smooth it out, it is cloudy right now and has quite a bit of orange peel. It appears to have plenty of clear on it, so there is material there to work with. It matches the jeep pretty good as the jeep has quite a few scratches and dents. It turned out just the way I was planning, and I am happy with it.

Mstrkage said:
I am seriously jealous, I told my wife I wanna build one and she just walked away shaking her head!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Dude my wife did the same thing... said it looked hillbilly & white trash... I said imagine it all the same color... she wasn't buy'n it...
I reminded her that my family is from the hills of Kentucky...
"Well your NOT !!" I said every ones got a little "billy" in'em...
She thought it was cool that I wanted to build a camping trailer... but... wasn't impressed.
So I said "F" it and looked for one... found a clapped out in need of a lot of love long bed... luckily I was able to buy it & chopped it today... :cheers:

Prep wouldn't leave his out for me to swing by & "borrow it" so now I have to build one...
Good luck with the wife...

Again Prep... it looks real nice...

Curt

Prepmech said:
Topper and bumper are on.

topper001.jpg

And the pict. barely shows the shell... no bumper... or tongue length... :)
What are the chances of a pict. from the rearend looking foward of the spring perches & springs... what is the distance from the out board side of the springs to the wheel backing plate ??

It looks goooood... nice job... I've been look'n at axles this weekend.
Did you go with the E-Z maint. one ?

Curt

Xtreme XJ said:
And the pict. barely shows the shell... no bumper... or tongue length... :)
What are the chances of a pict. from the rearend looking foward of the spring perches & springs... what is the distance from the out board side of the springs to the wheel backing plate ??

It looks goooood... nice job... I've been look'n at axles this weekend.
Did you go with the E-Z maint. one ?

Curt

The axle I had built is the same width as my full-width F150 axles, so my measurements are going to be quite a bit different than a stock cherokee. I used a 3K lb Dexter axle with 3" axle tubes (most trailer axles have 1-1.5" tubes) and I can't say enough good things about it. The only hubs available with that axle are the E-Z lube ones, but they are worth it if you have a choice. I still haven't had a chance to hook up the brakes yet, but haven't needed them. I'll get some more pics and a tounge measurement for those that have asked in a bit.

From the center of the lunette ring to the center of the axle measures 85".

In the picture showing the axle, you can see the small trailer spring perches mounted under the axle. I welded on some wider spring perches over the axle when I decided to go spring over. The shocks are held on by weld on shock tabs at the axle end, and attached to the stock shock mounts on the body side. The u-bolt plates are the stock comanche plates.

Prepmech said:
From the center of the lunette ring to the center of the axle measures 85".

In the picture showing the axle, you can see the small trailer spring perches mounted under the axle. I welded on some wider spring perches over the axle when I decided to go spring over. The shocks are held on by weld on shock tabs at the axle end, and attached to the stock shock mounts on the body side. The u-bolt plates are the stock comanche plates.

Hey Travis...
I appreciate the picts. & measurement... was there a reason you went with the Ford axle size? I found a 3500 lb. axle with 3" tube and elec. brakes and the E-Z maint. option... so I'll probably take some measurements on whats there and go with that...

Thanks again...
Curt

Xtreme XJ said:
Hey Travis...
was there a reason you went with the Ford axle size?

The axles on my Jeep are out of a '78 F150 (hp44 & 9"), I wanted the axle of the trailer to be the same width and have the same bolt pattern.

Back