• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanchee bed trailer

Here are some pics of it full of some mulch I was hauling around the yard.

trailerinuse001.jpg

trailerinuse003.jpg

trailerinuse004.jpg

Its getting painted to match the jeep. Haven't had much luck with finding matching lights. Also have a bumper to put on it, and some other stuff yet to come.

I give up. I need professional help. I've been so busy using the trailer that I haven't had any time to paint it. Taking it out to get some estimates soon. Hopefully I can find someone in my price range to get the ball rolling on this project. I will paint the topper, and roll on the herculiner myself once the paint is done. I will also be able to put the bumper on it, and concentrate on the tounge box.

So have you redone anything on the tongue itself ?? You happy with the way it's attached ??

It's gonna look cool painted up the same...

I see on Expo you got another "project"....

Curt

Trav, ask me about painting that thing tomarrow.....I know a guy.:shhh:

Xtreme XJ said:
So have you redone anything on the tongue itself ?? You happy with the way it's attached ??

It's gonna look cool painted up the same...

Curt

The tounge has been working out great as is. My only complaint with it is the way the transition from the MJ frame rails to the tubing used to make the tounge looks. I'm going to clean that up whenever I make the tounge box.

I see on Expo you got another "project"....

I've got a few people interested in buying that one whole. If they all fall through, then its getting chopped in half.

R20037.jpg

IllianaXJ said:
Yeah but it would be huuuuuge. Seems like it would be more suited behind a full size pickup than a Jeep.

It is big... a similar bed from a mid-size would be better... for the XJ... even thought his XJ is BIG...

I'm cutting mine when the temps. cool off....

Curt

IllianaXJ said:
Yeah but it would be huuuuuge. Seems like it would be more suited behind a full size pickup than a Jeep.

Agreed. That is part of the reason why I'm so torn on what to do with it. I work construction, and it would be perfect to mount a generator on the tounge and put all of my tools on the inside. It would be pretty heavy when it is full. I could leave it at the site and not have to haul all of my crap around with me all of the time. Problem with that is that I use my tools at home too, so I would have to haul it home with me anytime I have a project there. My wife would kill me if I left it sitting in the driveway. Another downside is being a trailer, it would be pretty convienint for someone to hook up to it and steal all of my tools at once.

My brother has a fullsize bronco that it would be pretty cool behind, but he is a mall crawler.

I'm almost more interested in the motor than I am with the bed. We have a YJ with a carburated 350, and the fuel injection off of the truck would bolt right on.

Prepmech said:
I give up. I need professional help. I've been so busy using the trailer that I haven't had any time to paint it. Taking it out to get some estimates soon. Hopefully I can find someone in my price range to get the ball rolling on this project. I will paint the topper, and roll on the herculiner myself once the paint is done. I will also be able to put the bumper on it, and concentrate on the tounge box.

Try your local community college see if they have an auto body paint class. A lot of time they will only charge you for the paint. Give them a chance to work and learn on stuff other than flat metal or what not. Being it’s pretty much a simply layout as far as paint goes it shouldn’t be that much to do. Just tossing out an option. A buddy of mine had and old mustang and took it to them. They did a pretty good job had a few runs in one spot and took it back and they re did the back panel that had the runs in it for free.

Travis, painting it yourself out of the question?

I could lend you an HVLP gun and DA sander to use, save you a few bucks on tools.

jdogg4 said:
Try your local community college see if they have an auto body paint class. A lot of time they will only charge you for the paint. Give them a chance to work and learn on stuff other than flat metal or what not. Being it’s pretty much a simply layout as far as paint goes it shouldn’t be that much to do. Just tossing out an option. A buddy of mine had and old mustang and took it to them. They did a pretty good job had a few runs in one spot and took it back and they re did the back panel that had the runs in it for free.

That's a good idea. I may do that with my trailer project :idea:

OverlandXJ said:
Travis, painting it yourself out of the question?

I could lend you an HVLP gun and DA sander to use, save you a few bucks on tools.

I'm pretty good at painting, and have all of the equipment. I just don't have the time. I'm only home on weekends, and right now all of my free time has been going towards getting for the baby we have on the way.

It is going to a body shop next week. Went to lunch with Haleyes today and he introduced me to a guy that will paint it and do the body work for less than what I would have spent in materials alone.

Prepmech said:
I'm pretty good at painting, and have all of the equipment. I just don't have the time. I'm only home on weekends, and right now all of my free time has been going towards getting for the baby we have on the way.

It is going to a body shop next week. Went to lunch with Haleyes today and he introduced me to a guy that will paint it and do the body work for less than what I would have spent in materials alone.

Haleyes!

Mexican is my favorite too.
:thumbup:

So, my dad just happens to have an extra motorhome air conditioner laying around that I could mount on top of the white truck's topper. My little brother has been driving it around and reports it runs great. It may just get built up as a tow rig.

Trailer should be painted by this weekend, hopefully.

Had an interesting experience with it last week. Used it to haul a 4wheeler to work. The 4wheeler fit great between the trailer's wheelwells and had plenty of room to put the tailgate up. One disadvantage I've noticed with the MJ springs is that they have quite a bit of travel, the trailer's stance easily changes by a few inches when it is loaded or unloaded. A friend of mine rode the 4wheeler off of the trailer on ramps. When the weight of the 4wheeler shifted to the ramps the trailer raised up a few inches, the ramps slid off of the tailgate and the 4wheeler was dropped to the ground. My friend rode it out like a pro and landed it on all 4 wheels, but it was pretty spooky.

Back