• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanchee bed trailer

IllianaXJ said:
You had to say that, didn't you. If I sell my popup I may get with you on that. Bed only, or truck?

Ha, yes I did. Bed only, black in color. Used to be on Gene's MJ...does have cut fenders. It has been sitting upside-down on the ground for a while now, but it is solid. Come and get it and you can have it.

Pat said:
Ha, yes I did. Bed only, black in color. Used to be on Gene's MJ...does have cut fenders. It has been sitting upside-down on the ground for a while now, but it is solid. Come and get it and you can have it.

Alright. Once the popup is gone I'll come get it. Better start drawing up frame plans for Brian to put together :D

Travis - you should re-wire the trailer for 7-round and add a couple batteries for lighting or a small space heater.

IllianaXJ said:
Travis - you should re-wire the trailer for 7-round and add a couple batteries for lighting or a small space heater.

I am going to have to go to a 7-round for the trailer brakes.

I've got quite a few DC/AC inverters sitting around and it would be nice to have an AC outlet for a space heater or an electric blanket. I could hook up one of those solar panel trickle chargers to help keep the battery charged when it isn't being used. I've got plenty of room to mount a battery underneath where the fuel tank was. I don't want to leave the inverter on the trailer, so that it isn't damaged when I am using the trailer without the topper to haul stuff. I'll probably just put a 12V outlet in the bed and plug the inverter into it as needed. I've been searching boat and RV websites for 12V accessories, and they either aren't powerful enough or are too expensive.

The topper already has a 12V light in it, and I can't decide if I want to keep it or replace it with a battery operated light. A battery operated light would make removing the topper easier, and reserve the 12V battery for other uses.

Use a 2 prong trailer connector to quick disco the 12v dome light when you remove the topper.

You could mount the inverter underneath in an enclosure to keep it protected and make a trap door in the bedside for the cord, similar to a RV setup, kinda like this:

top-mount-745698.jpg

OverlandXJ said:
Sweet!
Do yourself a favor. Weld in a receiver in the tongue, then you could remove the pintle end and take it with you when you'll be away from the trailer. A bit of security... what thief carries a pintle/receiver?!

Do me a favor and LEAVE the lunette as is... tell me where it'll be parked in a few days & I'll drive by and take it and all the headaches it's caused you away... I'm a giver...
I want to build one of these trailers... SO bad... I almost bought the one posted above... but I want a long bed....

Keep up the good work... it looks nice... and like I said let me know where it's parked...

Curt

Prepmech said:
It has a drop in bedliner, but I'm going to go ahead and herculine the inside of the bed as I have quite a bit left over from doing the inside of the jeep.

I still can't decide on what color to paint the topper. The bed is going to be silver to match the jeep, but I think the topper would look cool black and match the jeep a little better that way as I have lots of black on it.

Why don't you herc. the topper? JIM.

ILLXJ said:
Why don't you herc. the topper? JIM.

Herculiner is a little to soft for external stuff in my opinion, it gets soft in the sunlight. I used the duplicolor stuff on my hood and quarter guards and it is quite a bit harder with less texture.

I've painted a few YJ hard tops using the low pressure and pull away technique to get the right texture and they turned out looking really good, that is another option.

I think I am going to use black primer on the topper to see how I like it, and if I like it black then I will most likely spray it with the duplicolor stuff.

The trailer has been sitting for a while so I could fix some stuff on the jeep. The jeep is put back together so I am going to start working on the trailer again this weekend. One good thing I've found about it sitting so high is that it doesn't kill the grass under it.

Planning on doing a little body work, installing the flares, and removing a leaf from the spring pack.

Got a few things done on the trailer this weekend. I cut the fenders and put the flares on. Found a rust spot behind the left flare, but it is covered by the bushwackers and will be easy to fix.

Last weekend I took the front spring spacers off of my jeep to level it out, and now the trailer sits quite a bit better. I'm happy with the stance now, and it should level out a little more as I put the bumper and tounge box on. As of now the distance between the top of the tires and bottom of the flares is 1" more on the trailer than the jeep.

100_2322.jpg

100_2309.jpg

I'm still waiting for you to leave it somewhere accessible....
It looks NICE !!

Curt

Used the trailer quite a bit last weekend to haul stuff around the yard and clear some brush piles in the woods. Had a pretty good fire going, so called up some friends and invited them over to cook some hotdogs. Threw some good wood on the fire to cook the dogs. Here is a pic taken before it got dark.

5508035.jpg

Found out that the tailgate makes a great place to sit, or a handy table. Some lights out back would have been really nice, so I am going to hook the reverse lights on the trailer to a switch in the bumper so that I can turn them on when needed. I thought the pintle hitch would be a major pain when getting in and out of the trailer, but it doesn't move that much at all. The back tires of the jeep were in a low spot and it made it so I couldn't open the hatch, I'll have to remember to park on a level spot from now on.

off topic a little, well more then a little, is that hood a true cowl hood?

What a great job
I 'm amazed at the out of the box skill shown by so many members on this forum.

Used the trailer quite a bit this weekend. I'm really starting to like this thing, its like having a truck bed on my cherokee. It pulls great, I don't even have to think about it, even when weaving through trees.

Went down the road to a nursery to get some topsoil to fill some holes in the yard. The whole way there I was figuring that it was a 1/4 ton truck before, but now since it has quite a bit of weight removed it could probably handle 1/2 ton. So when the guy running the loader asked me how much I wanted for some reason I told him I wanted a ton. I started walking away then I realized what I said, by the time I turned around it was too late. I couldn't believe it, but it handled the weight just fine. I still had a few inches of suspension travel left, and a few inches of clearance between the fenders and tires. It pulled great, and I had no trouble stopping, even without the trailer brakes hooked up.

Back