• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BruceB83/Appalachian Armor's Skid plate install w/ Pics

Re: BruceB83's Skid plate install w/ Pics

Just wondering how yours compares to the Skid Row t-case skid plate, in terms of strength. I have the Skid Row one, and I think it's 3/16", but the one thing I don't like is that it's kinda designed for a 1" T-case drop, which I don't have, so it hangs down lower in back. But instead of having a corner like yours, it cut's accross with a bend up to strengthen that edge. I'm pretty sure I could jack the whole jeep up with it! But I wouldn't mind getting that 1" of ground clearance back.

http://www.skidplates.com/Images/ZJ/ZJ-TCSP_rear.jpg

xj-boonie said:
Just wondering how yours compares to the Skid Row t-case skid plate, in terms of strength. I have the Skid Row one, and I think it's 3/16", but the one thing I don't like is that it's kinda designed for a 1" T-case drop, which I don't have, so it hangs down lower in back. But instead of having a corner like yours, it cut's accross with a bend up to strengthen that edge. I'm pretty sure I could jack the whole jeep up with it! But I wouldn't mind getting that 1" of ground clearance back.

http://www.skidplates.com/Images/ZJ/ZJ-TCSP_rear.jpg

Probably about the same, and mine does have a bend on the edges as well, just not as big as that corner bend on the SR skid. Also, mine actually sits a little higher in the back. I'm not sure I can picture how one could sit lower in the back...since the frame rail mounting point is higher up on the vehicle than the front mount (crossmember).

BruceB83 said:
Probably about the same, and mine does have a bend on the edges as well, just not as big as that corner bend on the SR skid. Also, mine actually sits a little higher in the back. I'm not sure I can picture how one could sit lower in the back...since the frame rail mounting point is higher up on the vehicle than the front mount (crossmember).

It slopes down from the crossmember to the back. The part from the frame rail that angles down to the bottom part is longer on the skid row one than yours, or at least it looks like it. The skid row one is designed to be level when the crossmember is dropped 1", and mine isn't, so the skid is angled. Does that make sense?

I'll try to get pics of the frame tomorow, but after the the cross member the mj frame becomes wider.

BruceB83 said:
Brian, nice color choice. I like it in that light grey...I may do mine that color. Did it get any use at Uwharrie?

Thanks for the compliments guys! I have alot of these things right now so any orders placed from now until end of Friday get half off on shipping.

I'm working on a gas tank skid (pre-97) and hope to have that available within about 3-4 weeks.

Hey Bruce, Good ol' Murphy and his set of laws were applied once again. I came home and checked out the new skid and don't have so much as scratch. We all know what would've happened had I not installed the skid though - my xfer case would probably be sitting somewhere off the side of Rocky Mountain Loop..

Only issues I ran into was a faulty ignition coil. Luckily I found out about it
on the first day. The downside was that I found out about it trying to get up Daniel...

Glad the AAP was relatively close and had one in stock. We swapped it out in the parking lot and got back to wheeling!

All in all, the trip was a blast. Not too crowded and after a few downpours Saturday, we took a night run up Dutch John... That left some brown marks in my drawers...

it was like driving on bacon grease...I'd do it again in a heartbeat though...

Here are the photos of my modified skid to fit my TC drop. I used a peice of 2" angle and 2" flat bar. I chose this way so in the future when and ever if I do a sye and eliminate the TC drop I will still have a good surface on the bottom of the frame to mount to. My modificatoin is completely bolt on and removable. It is a nice skid. If you ever change anything about it, eliminate that little area to the right that hangs down. See below.

P5040123.jpg

P5040113.jpg

Nice job with that little mod Turfzilla.

I wanted to let everybody know that I have confirmed that the current skids do NOT fit with a 242 TC. I guess I'll have to work on that in the future after I get this gas tank skid going.

JoCat just confirmed that the transfer case skid plate fits "almost too well" with the Clayton long arm kit! Just wanted to let you guys know!!!

BruceB83 said:
Brian, nice color choice. I like it in that light grey...I may do mine that color. Did it get any use at Uwharrie?

Thanks for the compliments guys! I have alot of these things right now so any orders placed from now until end of Friday get half off on shipping.

I'm working on a gas tank skid (pre-97) and hope to have that available within about 3-4 weeks.

Where/how do I order it? I was about to install my Warn skid on the new rig but its just not enough for what I'm doing these days. Give me a link if you can.

Finally got around to getting my pictures up...

Got it a couple weeks ago and already have it installed but I haven't gotten around to taking pics of it installed.

n41902041_30746208_3069.jpg

n41902041_30746209_3338.jpg

n41902041_30746210_3606.jpg

n41902041_30746211_3877.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics...my camera isn't that great.

All I can say is BEEF! Totally worth it and it definitely slopes back which now seeing it installed only makes me wonder why you WOULDN'T do that.

Thanks Bruce! Definitely plan on getting one of your gas tank skids.

-Colin

Renegade said:
Another happy customer! Thanks Bruce

x's 100. I actually finally got mine installed 2 weeks ago. The skid is a perfect fit, and is plenty heavy duty for my purposes.

BTW Chris, that's 3/16" thick material.

All this happy talk. I can hardly wait for mine now party1:

got mine and all the talk is correct. very nice and fits perfect.

I ordered one from Bruce the 26th of june and I have not received it also Ive sent him pms and also e-mail and as of now 16 days later I finally had to cancel my payment.

Back