• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boostwerks Build Thread V2.0

Regarding the shock towers, any idea on when you might sell them? I'm ready to go this route and after looking at other option I likes yours the best.

Honestly I'm not sure. Just keeping up with our current sales has been tough, not to mention I'm working another full time job. I'll try to push a small run through here soon however.

Finally started getting my sway bar together recently after my surgery. I started out with a 36" - 1" dia chromo bar and arms from speedway engineering.

It turned out to be quite a challenge to get it to clear everything else on the chassis. I ended up recessing one of the steering box bolts and cutting the bumper mounts in order for the arms to clear. I could have gone wider on the bar, but the tires would rub the arms when turned.

It's a little tight at the panhard, but it clears. :looney:

that intercooler is a nice looking part! I like the bracket shape on the other water thingy also. Nice work!

Last edited:
your leaf springs are looking a little rough buddy

I realized the other night that it may be the degree shims causing the leafs to appear bent relative to the mount. This may be what your seeing? You can see the back edge of the shim here...

The anti-wrap bar has been installed finally! I ended up relocating the charcoal canister directly under the pumpkin and out of the way of the bar. Turned out pretty super schweet.

Ignore all of the finger prints ;)

Did you use nutserts to mount the skid plate on? Or just thread into the stiffeners

Did you use nutserts to mount the skid plate on? Or just thread into the stiffeners

I just drilled/tapped the stiffeners. I used a fine thread 1/2" bolt to get the most surface area out of the thread engagement. I was able to torque them to 70ft/lbs no problem.

In other news, I picked up a low mileage NV3550 this weekend! Thought long and hard about just swapping in another AW4 but I absolutely hate the shift points and power it takes to churn. If I was building a purpose built crawler it would be my choice however simply for the benefits that a torque converter offers. Considered doing a GM auto swap, but the costs were adding up quick.

The plan is to eventually swap in a NWfab Ecobox as well to get a good mix of crawl ratios.

The time has finally come to upgrade the fuel system! We checked the fuel pressure while under boost recently to find out that it's falling off into the 20's :eek: Not good at all, so I've been collecting parts recently. The plan is to upgrade the pump, add a filter and return line into the system along with all SS AN lines.

Main parts of the system going in:

AEM 320lph pump
Holly 10 micron filter
Inline check valve
heat sink cooler
Aeromotive regulator at the rail
modified factory fuel rail for -6 return

I chose to cut (carefully) a hole in the rear floor to allow for an access panel instead of dropping the tank. With the skid and hitch installed, dropping the tank would be a huge pita.

There was a good 1/2" of dirt surrounding the module, so I broke out the vacuum to ensure nothing ended up in the tank...

The pickups were nasty! I can see why the airtex replacement pickup is almost twice as big as the oem.

Pump comparison shot.

Regulator...

I'll have some more updates later this weekend. :wave:

Quick pic of the trans that will eventually be swapped in...

Why not ax15?

No real reason. If I had stumbled upon an AX15 locally I would have grabbed it instead.

I don't really have any experience with the NV3550's but according to the interweb they are fairly stout. The same NV3500 version has been used behind a bunch of factory V8's with little issue.

I was able to get some more work done on the pump module...

Whipped up this little adapter cap to replace the oem pressure regulator. I goofed on one of the mounting holes of the cap but didn't end up drilling the module for it. The hole is right on top of a reinforcing rib. I ended up not needing it anyways since the bulkhead fitting for the return act's as a third fastener. I also ended up cutting more off of the base so I could put a hose clamp on the fitting. I did have to modify the alum housing to clear the wiring since I ended up rotating it to get the return hose to fit. I then picked up some fuel resistant sealant to make sure it's leak free and put it all together. So far so good. I'm going to fill up the tank before I cap the floor just to make sure it is good and sealed.

The airtex pickup is probably twice as big as the dirt filled one I pulled. Good news considering how nasty the old one was.

I don't really want those wires to ground out on the housing!...

... So I cut and cleaned it up:

I forgot to take a finished pic before I threw it in (doh). It dropped in no problem though.

Now I just need to finish the fuel rail and run some lines...

With your original turbo set-up, do you feel the factory system was sufficient or would there be benefits to upgrading the pump?

It was sufficient for a while, but If you can I would definitely upgrade from the start.

While it was working (AFR's were steady) I'm sure the pressure was still dropping off under boost. That's one of the problems with a return-less style injection system since the pressure regulator has no boost reference like a return style system. For example at 10lbs of boost, the fuel pressure at the injector is essentially reduced by 10lbs since it has to overcome that pressure to be injected into the motor. However a boost referenced pressure regulator will compensate by bumping the system pressure to match.

Before, I was able to keep a steady AFR by simply increasing the injector pulse width, but maintaining a constant pressure at the injector is ideal by all means.

is the derail dual pass cooler for fuel ? if so thats pretty neat.

Back