• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boostwerks Build Thread V2.0

Sneak peak of the hidden winch mount prototype...

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

Is it done yet!?
Is it done yet!?
Is it done yet!?
Is it done yet!?
Is it done yet!?

:D

Is it done yet!?
Is it done yet!?
Is it done yet!?
Is it done yet!?
Is it done yet!?

:D

No kidding.

I think I have been pestering him about this for a year and a half.

Way cool product. Should be worth the wait.

I finally started fabbing up my rear bumper this weekend. I've had the parts laying around for a while now so it felt good to get back into it...

The bumper ties into the hitch, the rear mounts and will also have front cross tubes to tie in the sides. The goal being to provide substantial beef, without the weight.

I spec'd it with 10ga laser grade sheet along with 3/16" plate and 11ga tube gussets.

bent up...

Inner gussets tacked in...

The inner gussets near the "frame" mounts attach to the hitch with 4 1/2" bolts...

Tail light filler's tacked in...

Side tubes tacked in...

I'll have more here soon!

Nice, I need to grab one of your sector shaft support bearings soon. Seeing your hidden winch mount reminded me!

I'd be interested in buying that rear bumper as a DIY Kit.

At the moment I don't really have plans to offer it, primarily because I'm trying to keep the things I sell to a reasonable size for shipping. Maybe once I have a brick and mortar shop to work with, but we'll see. :cheers:

This past weekend I tore into the trans to check out the valve body to see if it might be the culprit. I took apart every valve and small parts to make sure everything was in there correctly. Everything checked out...except for the OD accumulator clutch spring. What was in there looks like one of the springs included with the transgo shift kit. Luckily I just picked up a trans that I could rob the parts off of.

Pictured on the left is the spring that I took out. The two on the right are what were supposed to be there.

From the transgo shift kit instructions...

Gotta love finding all these mistakes in something that I had paid good money for. :gonnablow This thing has been fighting me for over a year now. It makes me wonder what else could be wrong internally.

It does seem to shift a little better, and not require as much throttle in over drive to maintain speed. I'm hoping it'll now pass emissions so I can finally start driving this thing again! :confused1

Gotta love finding all these mistakes in something that I had paid good money for. :gonnablow

I hear you.

I cannot pay anyone to work on anything of mine. Every single time I end up frustrated by difference between the actual results and what I thought I was paying for. It does not matter how thoroughly I spell out my expectations in advance. They always find some way to screw up the job.

Best of luck with the rest of the picture.

I've been working on designing my tire carrier in my spare time. I've tried to keep it light while keeping it strong. I also hate carrier designs that push the tire 1' past the back of the Jeep, so this will be nice and tight with a little wiggle room. I should also mention that I don't have an interest in selling these at this time. Maybe once I can afford a brick and mortar shop. ;)

Whatcha think?

It's pretty but it seems like you are using a lot more plate than you need. May be you are engineering around something I don't see?

It's pretty but it seems like you are using a lot more plate than you need. May be you are engineering around something I don't see?

There's really not much plate on the carrier, just the two ends? I could certainly use more tube, but it's actually easier and lighter overall for me to use plate than for me to cope and fit the tube. It's fairly thin at 10ga but will allow the overall assembly to be stiffer than what it would be with just tube. Without accounting for the welds, it's coming out to just a little more than 30lbs.

FWIW, this bumper/carrier combo should come out to under 80lbs complete. Compare that to the Smittybilt at a hefty 250lbs, Hanson Offroad at 130lbs.

Last edited:
that is a huge weight savings.. Most of the stuff I make in my job has to be light so I have a tendency to be overly weight-conscious.

Id say you may ant to build in some sort of skid to protect the bottom of the swing portion. Looks like it could get hung up fairly easily and bent out of shape on a steep and large drop off.

i do like the overall profile of the bumper itself, i designed one almost identical actually. just got to actually build it.

14192098_1069822156405533_710114274041870126_n.jpg

Id say you may ant to build in some sort of skid to protect the bottom of the swing portion. Looks like it could get hung up fairly easily and bent out of shape on a steep and large drop off.

the mount looks sleeved and plated in between the two heims, and the boxed structures like you see on the swing out are quite sturdy. i doubt it would go anywhere given this rigs use.

I also fabbed up a new rear exhaust section as well. The 3" was LOUD but also overkill without the turbo. It was also all mild steel and was rusting pretty bad. The new setup is 16Ga 2.5" 304L. Magnaflow muffler and cat. It's much quieter but still has a good deep muscly sound.

horrible pic of the rear hanger brkt...

Exit's flush with the skid...

Do you think the bumper/tire carrier will be made available to purchase once you've finished designing it? I am in the market for one, and am already planning on getting your shackles and steering brace. The weight savings is something I am very interested in, since my rig is used primarily for overlanding, I have a lot of food, drink, and other junk that adds weight. Wanting to keep the weight of armor to a minimum if possible.

Oh and sweet XJ and business! Very impressed with what I have seen and heard from others, and I am looking forward to running some of Boostwerks products in the near future!

Kevin

Back