• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boatsides

Any updates Starboard?
Billy
Not really. First I was doing this:
048.jpg

And then I just got back from wheeling:yelclap:

So no progress. And if the weather keeps up with how hot it was this weekend (100+), Im not sure how much I will get done this week either.

I do have a deadline though. Sometime late July I will be doing the Rubicon, so by then I need to finish the boatsides, finish the front 44, make a cage, make a rear bumper, and make a gastank skid. :gee:

That is not a lot to get done before the Con; not at all.

Plus, is that my Tow Strap that you are using to wake board? I need that back at some point.

Look forward to the updates. Great work man!

That is not a lot to get done before the Con; not at all.

Plus, is that my Tow Strap that you are using to wake board? I need that back at some point.

Look forward to the updates. Great work man!
Sorry, but the fire is just a little to warm. Can you work on that for me?:flame:

Well, no updates as I had to get my Jeep running again. Apparently it decided to short some wires and cause them to burn up. It turned out to be some wiring that ran to the tranny. I think it sensed what gear it was in and told the computer what gear it was in?

Regardless, it was a royal pita to get off. Took me almost two hours to get the old one off, and the new one on. :smsoap:
001-4.jpg

003-2.jpg

yah...that's a NSS

Jeep didn't design that. It's a Toyota tranny, well Aisin Warner.

yah...that's a NSS
Good to know. I just hope I never have to replace it ever again.

I know its not a Jeep tranny, but it was a pita to replace since you cannot get anything up there to wedge it away from the housing.
Aren't those like 190 bucks to replace iirc?
They could be, but I had an extra on a spare transmission I had, so the cost was nothing:clap:

edit: Anyone want a slightly used NSS? Smoking deal!! Hot price! $90! Only some wiring damage!

Sorry, but the fire is just a little to warm. Can you work on that for me?:flame:
Yes, well I will get right on that. Hey, can I borrow your Tow Strap to go get some more lumber?

Nice wires.... nothing like good'ol wear and tear and a short to make a great day suck!

Yes, well I will get right on that. Hey, can I borrow your Tow Strap to go get some more lumber?

Nice wires.... nothing like good'ol wear and tear and a short to make a great day suck!

Thankfully it shorted out in my driveway, rather then the trail.

Well, I got tired of working on the details on the passenger side, so I flipped it around and started on the drivers side.

I then realized that I had left my welding tank open for the last couple of weeks, and all the argon/co2 leaked out, so I no longer have any gas to weld with. And of course, since its the weekend of the 4th, no one is open:doh:

So will I was getting pissed at myself, I started looking at the Jeep and trying to figure out what to do with the cage/front fenders. I came up with a couple of ideas, and want to know what people think about them. I think I will do the popular external halo/A pillar, and internal B and C pillar. Problem is, do I want to keep the front fenders or not..... I know I said I didnt want to earlier, but the amount of space it frees up is awesome.
My huge homemade front bumper is in the way, but look at how much more room I have!
010-2.jpg

Here is how it looks with no fenders or doors.
007-1.jpg

With doors, no fenders
008-3.jpg

And now my two ideas.
008AA.jpg

008BB.jpg

I was thinking of also getting rid of the stock turn signals and headlights and using my Hellas instead. Make it somewhat unique, but Im not sure about the legality of using them, and also like to keep things looking as Cherokee as possible. Can a boatsided XJ with possibly no front fenders look like a Cherokee anymore?

Couple of people have done what Im thinking:
Vetteboy
3326327327_f3444874a2.jpg

Jes:
standard.jpg

Thoughts?

If you want to keep your windshield, that is what you will need to do.
Matty kept his intact while I broke three....

The external A pillar will be going on regardless of what I do with the fenders, but I dont know what I should do with them. Im not used to making aesthetical decisions!

I like jes's it looks sick... If you somehow integrated the original fender in there it would look bad ass. And then keep the original head lights and signals. maybe get rid of the running corner lights and maybe put a light on the bar. I am just throwing things out there. If i knew how to do any of this kind of stuff i would.

I like jes's it looks sick... If you somehow integrated the original fender in there it would look bad ass. And then keep the original head lights and signals. maybe get rid of the running corner lights and maybe put a light on the bar. I am just throwing things out there. If i knew how to do any of this kind of stuff i would.
I think youre right. I will try and integrate a fender in there somehow. Time is slowly running out, and I am no where near done. I did pick up a LED turn signal to mess around with and see how things will work.

So here is some tech of whats happening in the doors. This is a '89 2 door with manual everything, so Im sure things are changed for those of you with power/ 4 doors/ different years. But generally I assume its pretty close.

This is how the window mechanism is routed. It follows the red line, either in a metal tube, or rubber tube depending on where you are. Its attached at three places. The two green places are riveted onto the door, while the blue is the window roller-uppy thing.
001aaa.jpg

Door cut in half
002-3.jpg

Here you can see what one of the brackets looks like that you lose, as well as the rubber tube that has the cable in it(when the window is up).
003-4.jpg

This is what the cable looks like
009-1.jpg

Here we have the window holder thingy-madudad. This is how the factory gets the window to roll all the way up past the upper body line. This is also the reason why everything sits so low in the door and makes my life hard.
004-3.jpg

When you cut this high, you do run into issues with where the hinge is
010-3.jpg

This is what composes a door hinge. From L to R, hinge, plate that locates the holes on the door, and the backing plate that sits inside the door and where the hinge screws to
013-1.jpg

On the bottom of the door you can see where I marked out where I was going to french in the plate thing. The hole in the center of it is where all the door wires go( in my case it was only the speaker wires).
012.jpg

And finally, this is a vent that sits on the B pillar. Im not sure what the point of it is ( I know my '99 doesnt have it, and Im not sure if my dads 4 door '89 have it), but it seems I have some body flex. Im hoping this is old since my frame is pretty well plated, I have a huge ass front bumper, and T&T belly pan, which gets the frame tied together and strengthened pretty well. The boatsides and cage should make it even better.
011-1.jpg

Thats it for now. I was able to the door cut, the hinges cut and rewelded, and the door rehung. All that was after I went to Airgas for some Argon.CO2 and they gave me a new one that was empty. :mad:Didnt figure that out until I was all the way home and had all my tools out.

Tomorrow night I will try and cut out the rocker and get the 2x6 in place.

Oh and i saw somethin on jeepforum where a guy welded LED's into his tube flares and rear bumper But i forgot where it was. That would be a cool idea for side marker lights...

Edit found it... Looks sweet even though its a TJ.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308760

Last edited:
Oh and i saw somethin on jeepforum where a guy welded LED's into his tube flares and rear bumper But i forgot where it was. That would be a cool idea for side marker lights...

Edit found it... Looks sweet even though its a TJ.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308760
That looks sweet, but way to much effort. I also dont have the skills to make it look good.

With my luck I would also smack that onto a rock the first time out. :doh:

FWIW, I plan on doing something sort of like your second option to finish off the front on mine, and run some sort of fender skin over it. I'll probably do two separate pieces of tube (the existing one along the hoodline, and one in a 'fender' shape) to brace the front better. The front vertical tube along where the side markers used to be has 2 small bends in it to match the body lines on the stock fenders.

2380_545182847289_24800499_33215899_536_n.jpg

Back