• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boatsides...

p3140051.jpg

I would think a brace from rear tube running at a 45 degree angle rearward down to the inside of the frame and one running forward off the front tube to the frame should add all the strength it will need.

I'm close to just cutting it out and trying harder to move it forward...

The winch cable is proving to be VERY hard to route through my engine bay... and the current pulley mounting location will put the cable at a really weird angle that will basically make it really hard to sit in the passenger seat...

still thinking about it / working on it...

The winch cable is proving to be VERY hard to route through my engine bay... and the current pulley mounting location will put the cable at a really weird angle that will basically make it really hard to sit in the passenger seat...

Why would you even want to mount it there instead of the front to the frame rails. And I use the term "frame rails" loosely. If its an approach angle thing then seems to be the better solution would be to move the front axle forward. Is this a west coast fad?

My winch is on the front of my rig and I'll bet I have a better approach angle than you do.
What are you trying to accomplish?

My winch is on the front of my rig and I'll bet I have a better approach angle than you do.
What are you trying to accomplish?

My front suspension works really well, and to get any more approach angle would mean modifying it. (I could gain approach angle by going to a larger tire, but I'd rather not - I worry about my front d44 way too much as it is...)

Of the weight I have to carry, I'd like more of it towards the back of the rig.

I saw it, thought it was a cool concept, and am trying to figure out how to make it work on my junk.

It wouldn't be the first time I've done something, tried it, decided it didn't work, and re-done it if it doesn't work the way I want.

I'd like to use the winch for a suck down as well as recovery, and don't want the cable going from the 'standard' winch mount spot, because with my steering and all that, there is no way to attach it and not have it touch any of the steering through the travel.

It was the most retarded and complicated thing I could think of. :gag:

Well alrighty then. :cheers:

I'd love to use my winch as a suckdown but I don't see that happening without full hydro and moving my frame side panhard bar mount several inches forward(along with extending my links).
Weight moved rearward? Why?
I've spent much of the last couple years losing weight where I could and moving what I couldn't forward and down.
My rig works so much better now(the severely bent rear axle housing notwithstanding).

Weight moved rearward? Why?
I've spent much of the last couple years losing weight where I could and moving what I couldn't forward and down.

:dunno:

Moving weight forward works good when you're climbing...
but having even a spare tire amount of weight in the front, or that much weight moved back - might have helped me here?

stp84245.jpg

I dono - I guess I just thought that a rig with a 50/50 weight balance was 'ideal' ?

Is that wrong? has moving weight forward helped you, or are you noticing the loss of weight more?

I dono - I guess I just thought that a rig with a 50/50 weight balance was 'ideal' ?

Is that wrong? has moving weight forward helped you, or are you noticing the loss of weight more?

Ya, you're probably right about that.

I had a lot of weight behind my rear axle and up high. I definately notice the loss of weight as well as where the weight is now. It's a night and day difference.

do you not work while at work?

I'm hopeing to kick ass on them today and tomorrow, then its all up to Pat to get my skins cut out.

do you run the winch cable strait through the bay, or do you try to guide it somehow, like with a section of tube, cable running through the center?

Actually, I'm working through that during this week - I'm thinkin that the pulley might not be used except for suck down. I might run 3 fairleads though!!!!

anyway - here is a quick update:
Drivers side is coming along.

Got it done enough tonight so that I could make the .dxf drawing for both sides for Pat @ Those Guys Rod and Custom to cut out the skins... I gave him a ridiculous deadline, and hope that it comes through...

Ugly jeep in the garage -
dsc_0630.jpg

solution to re-enforce the shackle bracket until I decide that my leaf springs are the limiting factor on my rig...
dsc_0633.jpg

Saturday, I got the main rail in after finishing up the re-enforcement of the floor and frame rail.
dsc_0635.jpg

I started fitting the supports for the rail, and found that I could get more clearance by fitting the piece to the inside of the rail rather than to the bottom as I had done on the passenger side... great... now the choice of doing it the same, or doing the 'max clearance'...

I decided that since my junk looked like ass anyhow, I'd just go for more clearance. This was also A LOT easier to fit up than the notching like I'd done on the passenger side.

Drivers side -
dsc_0661.jpg

passenger side -
dsc_0662.jpg

all 4 legs in -
dsc_0669.jpg

the complication on the passenger side was the winch... I figured that the drivers side would be cake - just a rail, some legs, and a skin...

there is always a complication...

I have 3 pedals in the jeep -
dsc_0671.jpg

and when I push the clutch all the way, it gets in the way of where the support from the side of the frame to the side of the boatside (as seen in this shot on the passenger side) wants to be.
dsc_0612.jpg

I'll have to think on that more, maybe notch and re-box the tube? maybe run without it? Maybe cut/weld the tube so that it goes 'around' the pedal?

Why not use a piece of round and arch it?

this is a bit off topic, but shouldn't you have a bolt going across that spring retainer on the right of this picture? those are there to make sure leafs don't over extend downward too...

other than that, looks sweet. can't wait to see the final product.

The bolt across the spring retainer would limit flex. Its not really needed. Just keeps the leafs from sliding sideways and such.

Opie, that shackle box is going to get more destroyed than it already is. Going to beef it up anymore?

The bolt across the spring retainer would limit flex. Its not really needed. Just keeps the leafs from sliding sideways and such.

the strapping keeps it from sliding sideways, but if the axle droops, all the weight of it drooping is only on the top leaf and can wear it out faster. sure it'll limit flex, but i'd rather it last longer.

Back