• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New lathe

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I have wanted one for years but I never had room for a full size lathe or a bridgeport mill. I decided to p/u one of the mini-lathes out there. I bought the Vevor 7x16, spent Friday checking it out for alignment, run-out, and other features. Saturday got it cleaned up and mounted along with oiled/lubed. Started in the evening on some gun parts, it takes some finesse but it gets the job done!

Today's project will be a coolant system for it, I've got one on my big drill press along with a giant Wilson cross-slide. The last thing that I built was a 80% AR-9!
P1090289.JPG

P1090290.JPG

Some of the Jeep items I've done in the past on a borrowed lathe (which is no longer available to me) are the step in the bushing cradles and 1-1/4" threaded inserts for my long arms!
17520004_zpsmeb6jle2.jpg

FH000010.jpg

17520018_zpsuxgj28f6.jpg

I am also desperate to do some face turning on my stainless shower valve handle!

I have wanted one for years but I never had room...

NICE!

I suffer the same fate. The only way to justify if at the moment is if I could turn a bigger garage.

Very cool.

When my grandparents died 25 yrs ago they left me $1,000. I used that to buy an old Logan lathe. That has made for an inheritance I get to appreciate on a regular basis. I don't know how folks can live without such a tool.

One of its recent uses was to make a good sleeve for that sheet metal upper control arm mount on Varmint #1's XJ. That should put an end to the spinning bushing problem. And yes, I added a reinforcement plate to prevent the twisting and breaking loose off the axle tube issue too.

I wished I had 3 phase at the house, but the converters are only if you have no other options.

Unless you want to go through the pain, expense and in many cases sacrificing h.p. of swapping motors to single phase they are a must.

For motors I always check "surplus center" .com.

Have bought several from them.

Back