• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 2 Door Build

You know Gubni sells e brake caliper kits.

Yes but those are El Dorado calipers. I had two sets of them that I couldn't get bled fully and the first set started leaking 3 weeks after being installed. I finally said screw it and just threw on JB7 calipers and ran without an ebrake. I guess I could set up a line lock for a parking brake but that's only usefully if the brake lines/calipers are functioning properly.

I also priced it out and it will be $75 more to convert to disk over rebuilding these drums. Plus, to run disks I'd have to get new wheel studs. These drums slip over the hub instead of using the studs to press the rotor and hub together. I'll most likely switch to disks in the future but will probably do so with 99-04 E350 brakes. They are disk with drum ebrake and slide over the hub.

Yes but those are El Dorado calipers. I had two sets of them that I couldn't get bled fully and the first set started leaking 3 weeks after being installed. I finally said screw it and just threw on JB7 calipers and ran without an ebrake. I guess I could set up a line lock for a parking brake but that's only usefully if the brake lines/calipers are functioning properly.

I also priced it out and it will be $75 more to convert to disk over rebuilding these drums. Plus, to run disks I'd have to get new wheel studs. These drums slip over the hub instead of using the studs to press the rotor and hub together. I'll most likely switch to disks in the future but will probably do so with 99-04 E350 brakes. They are disk with drum ebrake and slide over the hub.

I have not tried the eldorado calipers yet. That is good to know. Is the 99-04 8x6.5? I thought all the new stuff went metric.

I have not tried the eldorado calipers yet. That is good to know. Is the 99-04 8x6.5? I thought all the new stuff went metric.

The vans stayed standard 8x6.5 pattern until '05. They they also went to the sterling rear end at the same time. In my opinion, 99-04 E350 rear axles are the ticket for building a very strong, disk brake D60. Now, they are 32 spline which is different but, most go ahead and build them for 35 spline. If I remember correctly, the splines on these are also large enough to be bored for custom 37 or 40 spline shafts. I know ARB has made 40 spline lockers for them and I think Yukon makes a 40 spline spool.

But, we'll never need that much axle with our XJ's.

The vans stayed standard 8x6.5 pattern until '05. They they also went to the sterling rear end at the same time. In my opinion, 99-04 E350 rear axles are the ticket for building a very strong, disk brake D60. Now, they are 32 spline which is different but, most go ahead and build them for 35 spline. If I remember correctly, the splines on these are also large enough to be bored for custom 37 or 40 spline shafts. I know ARB has made 40 spline lockers for them and I think Yukon makes a 40 spline spool.

But, we'll never need that much axle with our XJ's.

Isn't that a c clip axle? I no nothing about these axles.

I have a few friends that run the El eldorado calipers, and they all complain that cables never stay tight. And when they do they don't the vehicle very well. We have all switched to what they refer to as lever locks that are used on tow trucks. They work great.

I looked at something similar. My plan was to use a wilwood slave cylinder and have the ebrake lever operate it. There is a good build thread of a guy who did it on a local off-road forum. If I can find it I'll post the link here.

It's a simple slave cylinder. When it's not being used, it's just a passage to allow the fluid to flow. When it's in use, it creates pressure to the output side of it.

It's a simple slave cylinder. When it's not being used, it's just a passage to allow the fluid to flow. When it's in use, it creates pressure to the output side of it.

He responded. I think I get it. It's in line behind the master. That makes perfect since now.

Stripped down the new axle. Cut of and ground down the welds from the brackets. Then wired the whole housing. It'll get primer tomorrow to protect it for now. Then it's off for gears.

No photos but the the axle is primed. Gears, install kit, and ring gear spacer will be here Wednesday. Hopefully next week, since I'll be out of town for work and then vacation this weekend, I'll get the gears installed. All that's left after that is to order a new antiwrap bar kit, new +2 perches and brake hardware.

My initial plan was to reuse the antiwrap bar I have now but, there are some down sides to how I made it. A new one will allow me to make a better one.

So, here's my question to everyone. What would a bolt in D60 for an XJ sell for? Here are the specs

D60 from a 73 Didge D300 65" wms
Ruff stuff +2 perches
Disk brake conversion
4.88 gears
Welded carrier
1310 Yoke
Barnes antiwrap bar
Rustys tc skid(antiwrap bar mounts to skid so it goes with it)
Needs new bearings.

I would start at $1000 personally.

Really? That high? My gut was at $600 but my gut doesn't sell jeep parts so what does it know haha
Depends on how fast you want it gone. It's bolt in. Geared and with a disk brake set up. That alone is $600 in parts. When I said $1000 it was OBO. You can always come down. If you start at $600 then people are going to offer $500. At $600 I'd jump on it IF I had the cash.

Depends on how fast you want it gone. It's bolt in. Geared and with a disk brake set up. That alone is $600 in parts. When I said $1000 it was OBO. You can always come down. If you start at $600 then people are going to offer $500. At $600 I'd jump on it IF I had the cash.

Alright thanks. I'm still about 3 weeks away from pulling it but I'm gonna list it at 7 for someone to bring me down to 6. I'd like it gone sooner rather than later just so its not tying up space in my garage.

Back