• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 2 Door Build

Monday night I loaded up the axle. Tuesday after work I set about regearing it. It took 5 tries with backlash, 2 tires at pinion depth and 4 tries of pinion preload but I am very happy with the outcome.

I also made a set of upper control arms for a buddy's TJ. These are rear uppers made of 1.75" 6061-T6 aluminum. They came out very well. I'll be making lowers from 2" 7071 once he orders the joints.

Last edited:
Nice. Any chance you coming to the Crawl in July?

I got the rear brakes installed on the new axle. Also got the hubs and shafts on. New 2+ perches should be here late this week.

In other news, I rolled the jeep across the scales at the local truck stop. Weighed in at 4300 pounds without me, any gear, or spare tire and only a 1/4 tank of gas. Anyone have any ideas on how to shed some weight without heavily cutting her up?

In other news, I rolled the jeep across the scales at the local truck stop. Weighed in at 4300 pounds without me, any gear, or spare tire and only a 1/4 tank of gas. Anyone have any ideas on how to shed some weight without heavily cutting her up?

And making it comfortable to drive down the road? Unfortunately not.

If you didn't care I would say remove a lot of glass and carpet, possibly headliner. I know you have a 2 door but I know you take 4 doors off of a normal xj that there is close to 500 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And making it comfortable to drive down the road? Unfortunately not.

If you didn't care I would say remove a lot of glass and carpet, possibly headliner. I know you have a 2 door but I know you take 4 doors off of a normal xj that there is close to 500 lbs.

Yea, I didn't think there was much I could do and not hate driving it down the road. I'd love to get down to about 4k dry. I've got a new rear axle going in that won't help with weight since it's far heavier than the 60 coming out. I do have some half doors that are gutted so that could shave 100#...maybe. Oh well. She'll just have to stay a heavy bitch

Edit* or maybe I'll just fill the tires with helium

Yea, I didn't think there was much I could do and not hate driving it down the road. I'd love to get down to about 4k dry. I've got a new rear axle going in that won't help with weight since it's far heavier than the 60 coming out. I do have some half doors that are gutted so that could shave 100#...maybe. Oh well. She'll just have to stay a heavy bitch

Edit* or maybe I'll just fill the tires with helium

I have not weighed mine alone but I did on the trailer and it was 6440. I was loaded for Harlan though. I'd bet even cut mine is close to 4000 if not more.

I have not weighed mine alone but I did on the trailer and it was 6440. I was loaded for Harlan though. I'd bet even cut mine is close to 4000 if not more.

I'd be willing to bet you're around the same weight I am. Those H1 wheels, even when recentered, are quite heavy. I ran across the scales so I could get an idea of what GVWR trailer I should be looking at. Based on it's weight, I'll have to go with an 8k# trailer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good trailers that won't completely break the bank? I'm looking for a bumper pull and 16' minimum.

I'd be willing to bet you're around the same weight I am. Those H1 wheels, even when recentered, are quite heavy. I ran across the scales so I could get an idea of what GVWR trailer I should be looking at. Based on it's weight, I'll have to go with an 8k# trailer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good trailers that won't completely break the bank? I'm looking for a bumper pull and 16' minimum.

I have been very happy with my Lawrimore. http://www.lawrimoretrailers.com/
They are out of Alabama. I was told that they discount them a good bit there but that is quite a drive from here.

the kaufman trailers are nice and decent price just be prepared the and new trailer the wiring is going to be crap and the tires will be the cheaper bias tires. But they are nice trailers we have bought 2 of them 10k wood decks for ~2k. If I was back to towing with 1/2 ton truck I would totally look for a aluminum or other light weight trailer.

the kaufman trailers are nice and decent price just be prepared the and new trailer the wiring is going to be crap and the tires will be the cheaper bias tires. But they are nice trailers we have bought 2 of them 10k wood decks for ~2k. If I was back to towing with 1/2 ton truck I would totally look for a aluminum or other light weight trailer.

I tow with a 2011 F150 ecoboost. It's rated for 9800 pounds towing. With the Jeep weighing in at 4300, I'm looking at needing a 8k GVWR trailer. I've towed up and down Fancy Gap and i40 through the mountains with zero problems.

I've looked at the Kaufman trailers and they are very reasonably priced. I'd love to find a dealer that would swap the bias for LT radials without charging me an arm and a leg.

The new 60 is fully assembled. I had planned to pull the old 60 and install the new 2 weeks ago but I had a paying job for a gear install that took priority. I've got a small wheeling trip to URE planned this weekend so the axle will come out the weekend after. Barnes antiwrap kit came in. I'm going to make the one bar fully adjustable. This way, once I get new coils for the front, I don't have to build another bar but rather just adjust for the change in ride height.

Also, thanks to photobucket, all the photo links are dead. I'm working on transferring over to Flickr.

Nice where you get the metal building? I emailed Capitol about one today to put on my girls property in Camden.

Nice where you get the metal building? I emailed Capitol about one today to put on my girls property in Camden.

A buddy of mine (fellow club member/coworker) bought a house with this shop on the property. We're slowly filling it with all the tools we need to complete any task that comes our way. A tubing bender is right at the top of the list. Just need to do some more research on brands/types/etc before I buy.

A buddy of mine (fellow club member/coworker) bought a house with this shop on the property. We're slowly filling it with all the tools we need to complete any task that comes our way. A tubing bender is right at the top of the list. Just need to do some more research on brands/types/etc before I buy.

I am sure you have done a bunch of research but the only reason I went with a JD2 over a rogue fab was shipping. JD2 is in eastern TN. When I get somewhere I can have a large air compressor I'll upgrade it to a air/hydro setup and make life easy....

I am sure you have done a bunch of research but the only reason I went with a JD2 over a rogue fab was shipping. JD2 is in eastern TN. When I get somewhere I can have a large air compressor I'll upgrade it to a air/hydro setup and make life easy....

How difficult is it manually bending? I've only ever used air over hydro

Back