• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 Comanche build...The War Machine

Very nice truck, I saw your thread on comancheclub, are you mounting your battery in the front corner of the bed, underneath the added tube?

War Machine! :cool: always loved Marvel/Stan Lee stuff

Last edited:
BTW, here are a some albums of it (and other awesome MJ's/XJ's in use at the badlands (preferred wheeling park) over the last year....no, it's not just a mall crawler lol.
2008 GLXJ fall crawl
http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/JeepcoMJ/GLXJ%20Fall%20Crawl%202008/
2009 CF spring run
http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/JeepcoMJ/Badlands June 09/
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/badschenk/
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v233/johnywest/Badlands June 09/
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/bmyohn/Badlands Trip - CherokeeForum/
vid of me racing bmyohn (yep, I won. not any more since his stroker install)

being the driver, and rarely having a passenger, I don't have many pics of it getting used. others do have them and I need to get together a nice list of them.
carnage from the last wheeling trip too
IMG_1723.jpg

already fixed with new axle/swapped gears. needed to have it mobile so I can drive right now since I'm off work for surgery. will pull it back out in a couple weeks and truss it plus redo shock mounts etc.
looks like you have LOTS of caster based on the C on the driver side. plus lots of camber o and nice build by the way

looks like you have LOTS of caster based on the C on the driver side. plus lots of camber o and nice build by the way

lol...yeah. that's what happens when you bend the center of the axle tube...

I figured it was from the extra weight of that Dr. Pepper can on your hood. I mean, we are talking about a turdy after all... :D

Nice build btw.

haha, no...it was the fat b*tch I invited to my tent that night...she sat on the hood. it's her fault.

really, I swear! (they need lovin' too...but they gotta pay!)

so, I'm taking my ol' wheeler and doing a new thing with it.

old thread
http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9967

so here's what it is going to be.

1987 bed and uniframe/cab

comanche open dana 44 with 3.55's in the rear...it will get a locker at some point. (already installed)

metric tonne rear mj springs (already installed)

3.5" front lift, using my RE track bar and RC control arms plus whatever coils I find, and a set of shocks picked up from Tim (TNT) here on the forums

3.55 front dana 30 from a '96 4.0 xj

my current front bumper (made by TNT)

new custom rear bumper made by me

factory front skid and gas tank skid

31x10.50R15 dayton timberlines on my nice set of cragar soft 8's (15x8/3.75"bs)

'97 front end
'97 wiring conversion (doing this solely to gain OBDII)
'97 dash
'97 doors with full power

it will remain automatic with the aw4, I sold the SYE 231 but swapped to a sealed output np231. I may get a sealed output np242 for it, though.

4.0 HO that has 10k miles, mild bore, mild cam, 2001 intake, borla header, mustang 5.0 injectors, 62mm throttle body

dual optima batteries...one in stock location, one in the bed, with a custom dual setup for it to jumpstart itself if need be.

winch at some point to go on the front bumper

keeping my older style seats and the tuffy lock box center console. going with a tan interior still, removing all camo, new headliner and new carpet.

I'm removing the roll bar, going with a full on york compressor system for on board air, relocating the peterbuilt air tank for it (or making a custom air tank to go where the factory spare would go)

building a cross between a contractor's ladder rack/safari roof rack/topper, which will have a pneumatic extending boom permanently mounted in the center hanging from the rack, with a geared down hand crank winch on the end of it for lifting engines and axles, thens liding them into the bed.

that rack will have four 6" hella fogs on the front, mounted on a pivoting cross bar with brush guards built into it, with a smaller pneumatic ram on it to control angles (doing this just for sh*ts and giggles, plus more switches). I have sliding side windows from a topper that will be mounted to aluminum side panels, so I can easily remove the sides of the "topper" to expose it. the roof will be permanent, the roof rack mounted above that.

final thing will be a new paint job once I finish the body work and fixing the rear flare mounts. it will be in black primer before winter...I need the black base to make the dark cherry/burgundy color I've chosen as dark as possible.

I'll post the new pics as it progresses. currently the rear axle is in, the front is gone since I sold it today.

The point of the project isn't a wheeler. it is to have an armored and capable comanche built for utilitarian/light offroad use.

stage 1:

bought a '96 xj 3.55 geared high pinion d30 from the junkyard today. jeep had a reciept in the glove box for new wheel bearings, brakes, ujoints, and ball joints in it 3,000 miles previously. cost me $250, complete end to end.

went to the next junk yard down the row that had an xj in it with a lift kit...someone bought the axle, and left the shocks and coils. I just grabbed the coils since there's no way in hell I am running Rancho shocks. coils cost $20/each

got home, compared coils, they're 2.5" shorter than my 6.5" coils, and bigger diameter. painted them black, adjusted my control arms to 4" lift specs, tossed them in with the "new" axle.

just need to install my steering, and adjust the uppers to 1/4" longer to correct the pinion angle and set the castor (or camber...whichever) properly, then raise the brake line mounts to stock location so the YJ hoses aren't too long, connect them to the '96 calipers, and put the other shocks, stabilizer, and breather hose in it. then the front axle is done, and I can move on to the wiring/interior/door swap.

pics.
100_0766.jpg

100_0765.jpg

100_0764.jpg

100_0767.jpg

100_0768.jpg

100_0769.jpg

100_0770.jpg

and I also picked up a parts xj today
http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25575&p=267630#p267630

tore the tan dash out of the donor xj. I was going to run my '98 dash and harness with the '99 dash covers, but I discovered that this harness is in very very nice shape, so I'll be using this complete setup.

tan dash pieces
100_0782.jpg

dash and dash wiring (main harness)
100_0781.jpg

bad pics, but you can see the frame contacting the oil filter here
100_0780.jpg

again, bad pic, but you can somewhat see how the motor mount twisted on the body side...
100_0779.jpg

engine/wiring
100_0777.jpg

it is EXTREMELY bent...
100_0776.jpg

driver's side firewall
100_0775.jpg

complete dashless firewall. need to pull the heater box in order to get the rest of the wiring out (it's pinched pretty bad inside, I don't want to tear the wiring if I can avoid it)0
100_0774.jpg

this is how bent the door is
100_0773.jpg

100_0771.jpg

over all decent progress.

old dash and dash supports are gone, the column/pedal support is installed. I put the dash together and popped it in place so I could see what it's gonna look like/how it's gonna fit.

100_0785.jpg

100_0784.jpg

100_0783.jpg

the old heater box and firewall padding is also out. have to install all of that tomorrow, after I figure out how to mount this damn thing...

on the firewall, I cut the hole for the steering column up higher, then used the scraps to weld in the old hole. for the engine to dash harness hole (where the fuse box used to be), I cut the '99 firewall out, made a small square from it, and welded it in, then siliconed the engine bay side of it.

For the upper dash mounts, I bought a 4' chunk of aluminum 1/8" angle iron, bent it further, cut it, trimmed it, and screwed it in both on the firewall, and through the factory '87 holes.

I had to drill the farthest passenger side hole for the heater box, as that's in a different spot, and I drilled the hole for the part of the engine harness that comes from the passenger side.

I had already drilled the new shifter cable hole for the '95 conversion, so that was easy enough.

the heater box, column support, and other bracketry for dash related stuff is installed. the dash is now in, and all i have to do is get some more zip screws to finish screwing the top of it in.

then I need to swap the complete engine harness etc. out

100_0788.jpg

100_0787.jpg

100_0786.jpg

i've wanted to do one since the first one was done. just didn't have the parts.

$200 for the whole cherokee, plus leftover parts from the parts xj I used on my '97 to convert it to a 5 speed.

are you gonna sell the 21 slot grille? I want to convert my front end to a pre 96 chrome style :laugh:

well, the engine harness is out. I had modified the driver's inner fender in the past for bigger tires...so I grabbed one I had saved from a parts xj, cut mine out, and welded this one back in. ran out of gas for the welder, so I gotta grab more in order to finish it.

100_0789.jpg

old on the left, new on the right
100_0790.jpg

100_0791.jpg

100_0792.jpg

100_0793.jpg

100_0796.jpg

100_0797.jpg

.I had one HEIL of a haul today...

$300 takes anything I want....here's the list...

complete harness, front to rear.
ECU
TCU
heater box
all 5 doors (ALL MINT!..well...maybe a small dent one the pass. front door, but nothing too bad...)
both fenders
hood
valence/cowl
front clip
rear factory tint side windows
complete dash (charcoal)
charcoal kick-panel pieces
keyless wiring
all engine sensors and electronics
'99+ intake manifold
floor shifter
front carpet
front seats
rear seat
rear carpet
e-fan
1,000 mile reman np242 (sealed output) with shifter ass'y
NEW radiator
NEW plugs
NEW alternator
NEW power steering pump
front and rear driveshafts
factory CD player (works good)

all that for $300.

I didn't have room in the truck for the rear doors, rear hatch, rear glass, rear carpet, all seats, and the np242. going back monday to grab them (and I know he won't screw me on them).

pics...
100_0803.jpg

100_0804.jpg

100_0809.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0811.jpg

100_0812.jpg

100_0813.jpg

100_0814.jpg

100_0815.jpg

100_0816.jpg

100_0817.jpg

Holy crap! You lucky jackass :cheers: wish I could find deals like that around here.

ha. I try lol

got the front end and passenger door temp'd on it today

100_0819.jpg

well, it is running.

here's a video showing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnGyesXl1q0

still need to...

do interior wiring
hook up transmission wiring
swap '99 front 02 sensor in, install bung and '99 down stream o2 sensor
secure all wiring
swap fuel pumps/senders and figure that whole deal out.
install front end
batten down the hatches in the engine bay (cooling system)
install '99 evap system
mount random things.
install doors
install carpet
install seats
center console
headliner
trim
shocks
attach booster to brake system, bleed out
install np242 and shift gate for it
check all fluids after oil change
swap tires over from the 3800
build rear bumper
mount front bumper
paint cab and bed tan to match, temporarily.

oh, and here's the rest of the '99 parts...

100_0839.jpg

100_0838.jpg

100_0837.jpg

100_0836.jpg

100_0835.jpg

and the xj crossover wiring to mj...
100_0834.jpg

100_0833.jpg

Back