• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 Comanche build...The War Machine

I have those same seats (also 6'2") and I like them for the same reason, also they give me better leg room which I need more than head room anyways. I do hit my head getting in/out sometimes though.

Did you have to space them out (closer to doors) from the original mounting points in order to fit the center console in? Mine seem too close together.

Sweet looking MJ and nice build thread. :thumbup:

lol. yup I sometimes hit my head...and every new passenger does. gotten pretty good at it tho :D. I have 2" between my head and the headliner, so I'm not worried.

I did have to space them out. it seemed odd, but the buckets just weren't in the right spot when I originally tac-welded them in. remember, the XJ floor pan is different where it mounts, so that's to be expected.

Nicely done MJ and great write-up!

not to hijack at all but here's a couple pics of mine with the OD green for inspiration...i guess...lol. It's sitting at about the same height on 35s as well.
DSCF2953.jpg

DSCF3156.jpg

thanks trailready. there are currently some discrepencies about painting it olive drab. the paint isn't really "crap" on this truck...just some areas. and the areas that are "bad" are because of the very minor rust spots that are starting. I was thinking about just blacking it out halfway up the body for now. the bedside and front fender will be plated with tube flares built in.

I'm torn halfway between. both my brother and a friend of mine agree that the way to take people's eyes off a "crappy" paint job is to just throw on more accessories. and that's most certainly starting to become true.

we shall see.

Nice comanche and I am incredibly jealous you found one of those waggy grilles for yours. I've been keeping my eye out for one for mine and haven't had any luck.

salvaged the pillar pods from a friend who flopped his 95 xj on it's side literally right after we just got done straightening out the unibody from when he rolled it with a cage that wasn't tied in (it had become lopsided lol). he salvaged it from a parts cherokee, and the guy in the parts cherokee got it from a friend and so on....

cmelo, I think that grille is coming off in interest of less constriction on cooling. it's actually got chrome trim on the grille itself (painted over the chrome with bumper black, so a quick bit of time with steel wool would let the chrome shine again).

probably gonna just put a mesh non-factory grille in it. I'll let you know

-Pat

cmelo, I think that grille is coming off in interest of less constriction on cooling. it's actually got chrome trim on the grille itself (painted over the chrome with bumper black, so a quick bit of time with steel wool would let the chrome shine again).

probably gonna just put a mesh non-factory grille in it. I'll let you know

-Pat

Please let me know if you do, definitely interested.

I'll remove it and snap some pics for you. it's in really good shape...came off of a parts 85 xj wagoneer we had.

I'll join in on the OD green MJ club...
DSC_0697-1.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

IF I do a full on 97+ conversion, I will probably keep the black interior and store it until I get a nice clean short bed 4.0 to put it in. I might be convinced to sell it though.
My 87' has a factory black interior w/a worn-out bench,so...if you ever get bored with those black bucket's,haha,let me know. I like the air tank,nice touch.As for tool storage,I was thinking about ammo box's/lockbox's behind the rear wheelwell's,good place to add weight.

no idea where they're from. tried to find out but no idea

Where have you been Pat? I've missed you.

also picked up four more 35x12.50r15 dunlop radial mud terrains for $180. having already had a set of identical cragar soft 8's...I now have 8 identical tires and rims. the new set have less tread than the old set (old set is about new) so I have no issues with burning the rubber off while daily driving...at least it's more tread than my old 33's.

installed some boomerang shackles in the rear today...

with boomerang installed
100_0053.jpg

with stock on
100_0059.jpg

100_0061.jpg

difference in length
100_0064.jpg

100_0065.jpg

swapping the pass. side in
100_0066.jpg

how it sits now
100_0072.jpg

100_0073.jpg

100_0074.jpg

net gain, about 1.75"....giving the truck the proper rake, and now the back is just high enough to where it won't be low as heck with all of my trail gear.
took about 15 minutes to install, man I LOVE rust free vehicles...the bolts came right out.

edit:
added bonus...my driveshaft angles were completely unaffected by the swap. still have two degrees positive travel for the pinion, perfect to put it in line with my driveshaft under forward motion

and I replaced my windshield (did it myself :D) with no issues, as well as added 97+ rear hatch shocks under my hood for hood struts.
pics
100_0717.jpg

100_0718.jpg

100_0719.jpg

hood struts
100_0720.jpg

100_0721.jpg

100_0722.jpg

100_0724.jpg

picked up a currie d30 johnny joint kit for $100 out here in socal.
ce9102k.jpg

since i'm running a disco axle, i don't need the reinforcement brace...and since the joint is actually welded to the brace, I can't use it on my front axle.
that said, for another $100 I can pick up two more joints, make that bracket, and throw two of the joints up front and then use the mounts as the upper mounts for a rear 4 link...and since i already have 4 RE superflex 2.5" joints...and a bunch of bushings and collars, I have every joint I need for a 4 link setup front and rear...though I could do a triangulated 3 link in the rear and save some money too.

I recently saw a Full Traction rear truss and wishbone for sale. Lookin good man, how you likin Cali ?

I hated Cali. will NEVER go back. it's too expensive...I was down their for work for 6 weeks, just got home just before turkey day. they wanted friggin $45 for some fat queer to cut my hair down there...needless to say, I went to walmart and bought a hair buzzer and buzzed it....cuts are $15 back home.

sorry, my posts of the last day or so in this thread are not in order

Back