• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your comments on a The Jeep Wave

there are a few modded XJs in my area and i at least give them a finger wave. i got waived at by a flat black XJ on what looked like 37s the other day though. i waived back of course. then there is that one guy in a yellow XJ that i wave at because i feel sorry for that poor Jeep.

yj's cj's and tj's are just jealous cuz our longer wheel based xj's can take some trails better than them =)
As a former CJ-5 owner: Keep believing that, and Never EVER follow a TJ/YJ/CJ-7 or especially a CJ-5/3/2/MB through heavy forest.:nono:

As a former CJ-5 owner: Keep believing that, and Never EVER follow a TJ/YJ/CJ-7 or especially a CJ-5/3/2/MB through heavy forest.:nono:
He didn't say take all trails better, just some. Which is true, our longer wheelbase does aid us in certain types of terrain.

He didn't say take all trails better, just some. Which is true, our longer wheelbase does aid us in certain types of terrain.
True enough,... everything in it's element. 'Wouldn't want to tackle the ledges an XJ can walk over in the -5

will soon possibly get the jeep wave once i install my 4.5" lift, if i dont get the effing wave, by god im going to put all kinds of offroad stickers on my xj and make it look like its rubicon ready(sarcastic) =)

i acknowledge women driving modd'ed xj's.... probably the girlfriends of members here!
stock xj's arent anything, and its not about the lift, its about the build.

how are you differant than a prius, if your jeep is just as stock? why do you deserve acknowledgement? theres tons of cars on the road! i prefer to look at interesting vehicles, not boring stockers!

i acknowledge women driving modd'ed xj's.... probably the girlfriends of members here!
stock xj's arent anything, and its not about the lift, its about the build.

how are you differant than a prius, if your jeep is just as stock? why do you deserve acknowledgement? theres tons of cars on the road! i prefer to look at interesting vehicles, not boring stockers!

stock doesnt keep it from being trail worthy, i take mine offroad as often as say you with a lifted xj, i dont go on trails as challenging as you but im still trying to have the same kind of fun as you. im still trying to take my family to more of a remote area away from typical society, i can bet if i was a 100% stock with an naxja sticker i'd still get the wave so you cant say its cause im as stock as a prius.

mine will be lifted but its still going to have the appearance of a stock vehicle. i'll still have tow points up front/rear sliders but i dont need to glorify my xj with bumpers and stickers and black steelies

I've only been waved at once while driving the XJ, I guess it's not lifted enough to stand out.

In the Jeepster, on the other hand, I get waves, nods, shouted complements and questions ("WTF is that?!" is by FAR the most common).
Shortly after I got it street legal I was driving down the highway and a guy in a Ferrari gave me the wave...that was kinda interesting.

You do have to watch out for people who slow down to look your Jeep over, and start to slowly drift into your lane...

stock as a prius
i get the wave fairly often in my xj, and even in my grand wagoneer before it was lifted.
as far as prius's go, i'm the chief researcher in middle tn state university's alternative fuel research lab, and ours is far from stock. it looks stock, but can run on batteries charged by the sun, ethanol, hydrogen electrolized from water using solar energy, natural gas, and even regular gas.
this thing warrants a wave, i think. it's way more modified than either one of my jeeps, and a lot more work went into it than both of my jeeps together. the only tip that it isn't stock is the e85 decal on the back...
but yeah, i don't wave anything that looks like it doesn't hit the trails. if you're stock, but dirty, i'll wave! i even wave at land rovers if they have some mud and some treeline pinstriping....

i'm 35 and still act / drive like a punk ass kid...

Honestly, I wavefor a while, get no wave back then I loose the will to wave. Then I get a wave from a stock XJ and I feel like I shoulda waved. So then I wave at all the jeeps I drive by till it dies out again for a while.

BUT just this week I got a return wave from a old willies flat fender jeep. Thats got me wavin' again :)

its pretty hit or miss here in Sacramento, some guys wave some guys just stare and some don't even look. i just love it when the guys in nice hot rods or Donks we have out here willl stare and compliment me. I was in San Fransico the other day and got tons of funny looks/cpmpliments and laughs. i got 3 people ask me what happened to my doors? they honestly asked if someone stole them.

back to the wave...i wave at anything Jeep and Lifted.

i just installed a 4.5" RE lift up front on my xj today. im still working on the $$ for the rear. i had a 2" BB before, my steering was outta wack i had a shimmy at 48-50 mph, i installed the LCA's/coils im just waiting to do the adjustable track bar cuz i dont have a fork available to use to remove the upper side. i have a skyjacker relocation bracket on there for now and it seems to be tracking really well, either way the shimmy's gone my alignment seems to be fine still so im overall pretty happy.

oh and it has/had california pin striping but i like to keep it pretty when im not out on the trail so they usually get waxxed out.

heres 2 pictures of the aftermath (its got mud on it now if i need to snap another picture to change ur opinions as to if i get a wave or not =P)
im still sitting on 235/75's until they no longer provide traction
jeeplift25.jpg

jeeplift1.jpg

i dont plan on doing a front bumper, i plan on doing aftermarket shackle mounts up front that bolt up like the hooks do and for the rear bumper i plan on trying to keep it stock but just making a rear tire carrier to sit in my hitch and where the swing away part will be will be bolted to the bumper for stability side to side.

Last edited:
i just installed a 4.5" RE lift up front on my xj today. im still working on the $$ for the rear. i had a 2" BB before, my steering was outta wack i had a shimmy at 48-50 mph, i installed the LCA's/coils im just waiting to do the adjustable track bar cuz i dont have a fork available to use to remove the upper side. i have a skyjacker relocation bracket on there for now and it seems to be tracking really well, either way the shimmy's gone my alignment seems to be fine still so im overall pretty happy.

oh and it has/had california pin striping but i like to keep it pretty when im not out on the trail so they usually get waxxed out.

heres 2 pictures of the aftermath (its got mud on it now if i need to snap another picture to change ur opinions as to if i get a wave or not =P)
im still sitting on 235/75's until they no longer provide traction
jeeplift25.jpg

jeeplift1.jpg

i dont plan on doing a front bumper, i plan on doing aftermarket shackle mounts up front that bolt up like the hooks do and for the rear bumper i plan on trying to keep it stock but just making a rear tire carrier to sit in my hitch and where the swing away part will be will be bolted to the bumper for stability side to side.

What does this have to do with the wave?

if i were driving down the road and you saw my jeep, would you wave at it? or is it not modded enough to think it's taken off road.
The Wrangler guys wouldn't wave at you anyway. That's the "problem" with the Jeep wave. It's a "Jeep" thing. For some reason, they don't recognize the Cherokee/grand/full size/and of course, the compass/patriot as jeeps(I kind of understand that last part:D)

Really want to get people to wave at you? Put rainbow stickers all over the jeep, and wear a purple shirt.

Back