• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ with MJ bed "Cherokee Sport Trac"

Whether the maroon one is real or not, it would be a hell of a fake!

But the answer is Yes. This is exactly what I want to do.

Only I plan to not use the MJ cab back to close it off. I PLAN to use the rear hatch itself and see what happens. Though I may go with sheetmetal and do it by hand.

Since I am undertaking such a weird project I would like to TRY and allow the rear of the cab to open up and be able to remove the front of the bed so I could have a passthrough and then make an Avalance style ultra bed extension for those desperate situations. Frankly the Avalanche is a total bucket of garbage of engineering, but in my case it would be a neccessity tool rather than a design "feature".

Also, both of these use a full 7 foot bed. I would use the short bed AT MOST and possibly cut it down from there.

As well the pictures with the long bed make these things look utterly goofy. Once I get things lined up and get a rough visual idea I may seal the back doors and install a sideways seat or something and take out a few more inches. But most likely I'll cut the bed down to a 5 - 5.5 footer.

I've often wondered how an extended cab "SportTrac" based on a 2 door XJ would look. If you needed the fiunctionality of a long bed this may make it look a little less goofy (I agree with the above) and the larger door would probably be more functional on a truck that would be used as an actaul work truck versus a touring machine.

I've wondered about using the rear hatch also...

Just my spin.

r@m

You mean if I "don't" need the functionality of a long bed it'll look a little less goofy?

I don't. This is all being based around dirt bikes. And the contact points are about 5 feet apart. And I am not against putting the contact point of the rear wheel on the tailgate. So if the bed itself is about 5 feet or less, it's all good. I am trying to make the bed as minimal as possible to keep the look and the overall length as minimal as possible.

I will use it as a "real" truck, but it's very easy to extend the length of a bed when needed, but tough to make it shorter the rest of the time! :)

Morgan

By functionality/work truck I was thinking about carrying sheets of plywood/drywall, etc. Something closer to 8' long would suit my purposes better.

r@m

Yes, you're right. But for a work truck.. you are far better off buying something ready made.

I'll use it for stuff like that too on occasion but in general.. there are better ways to have a pickup!

Either way I don't believe that the wheel well inners are more than 4' apart anyway! So for that specific purpose, you're screwed anyway.

But in regards to longer stuff, lumber etc. There are a number of load extenders that fit into the reciever hitch. I have one. It's nice. Well, I built it. But there are plenty you can simply purchase.

The ONLY excuse for making a cherokee so long is if your going 6X6!!!!

That would be cool..

There was a limo style stretched XJ 6x6 In that rollerball movie, do that but with a bed on the back...

Back