• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ re build

xalexjx

NAXJA Forum User
Iv recently decided im going to put some more money into the xj so here it goes.

its a work in progress :cheers:

Expected Completion Date. This year

Ok, on the list (it seems to be growing)

finish strengthening frame
new t-case with sye and cross member
Install Rock Crawler 3 link long arm (got it today, all except the brackets :smt003 )
new front axle shafts
finish the floors.
re-install drive shafts
d30 diff cover

Long day in the garage.... Got the floors cut out and ground down. Need to clean up a tad bit more to get a good surface for welding. Tomorrow i have to start taking out the t-case in morning then go fetch steel and the new long arms. The at some point put my new cross members in and start the new floors. Heres some pictures of todays progress..... Im glad the radio stations are done playing the same Christmas music over and over again :smt020

MVC-010S-3.jpg

MVC-013S-1.jpg

MVC-014S-2.jpg

MVC-015S-2.jpg

MVC-019S-1.jpg

The new transfer case ready to be put in. Its also going to be nice to have the same drive shafts front and rear :smt003

MVC-016S-1.jpg

Front bumper i built a few weeks ago

MVC-020S-1.jpg

Pb blaster- mans best friend, rust's worst enemy :smt005

MVC-022S-1.jpg

Its okay but not great,, its going to be a tube buggy after i roll it the first time anyways
the good side
PICT0078.jpg

the bad side (layed it on its side)
MVC-022S.jpg

:scared::D

I thought about finding a better xj but i have lockers f/r winch, agr steering box different steering setup, i put a 98 4.0L engine this spring when i got it, its wired for the air compressor and to much other stuff to even list, so im going to keep on building this, money isnt a huge issue so im not to worried about it.

Last edited:
xalexjx said:
Expected Completion Date. This year

you're wayyy faster than me!

yeah the only thing that wont be done will be the long arms and painting the floor with bedliner..Im still waiting for my brackets from RockCrawler..

MVC-019S-2.jpg

MVC-020S-2.jpg

I figured out its hard to weld to surfaces that aren't prepared to good. But it came out ok,
MVC-015S-3.jpg

New arms.
MVC-017S-2.jpg

No more t-case drop. I also welded two 1/2" bolt in instead of the small stock bolts. Waiting for the rk mounts which use the t-case bolts also so i can put the skid back on. Getting closer,,,
MVC-022S-2.jpg

MVC-028S.jpg

Yep, the Hobart works pretty good. I have a 220v stick welder but welding sheet metal with that just wasnt going to work very good so i broke down and got a mig... I like it so far.

Got the long arm all mocked up and one lca mount taken off, also built some lca skids. Wont get to work on it till friday night but it should be done soon.

000_0099.jpg

000_0100.jpg

000_0101.jpg

000_0103.jpg

000_0104.jpg

000_0105.jpg

000_0106.jpg

the go anywhere wheeling rig :smt016

000_0102.jpg

Was taking off the sliders and hit down on it with a sledge hammer after i cut the welds and the hammer slipped and my finger found its way between the hammer handle and slider. Kept on working for a few mins and had a shooting pain and looked down and saw what it looked like, ouchhh.

:smt013

000_0097.jpg

made lots of progress.. Anyone know a good pinion angle without messing up the castor to much.. im right around 5.5 deg right now

I got them from rockkrawler. Its a pita to pull the stock ones though, i ended up cutting them out with a torch. You can also drill/ tap the mount and put a grease fitting in there.

call [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]518-270-9822

[/FONT]

I run a rock krawler lift. Gonna have to call john up and order those. My old ones have pretty much worn right thru so they shouldnt be a problem. If so then I will just have to take out the smoke wrench

xalexjx said:
anyone have personal opinions on the tnt frame strengthers?
Really good fitment, really stiffened the XJ up. Kinda time consuming, and sorta painful at times to weld in.

Oh, and you'll want to figure that out before you put the RK lift on. If they still do the weld on XJ brackets its like 1000x easier to weld them in place before final welding of the stiffners.

Jason

Back