• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ radiators, a review.

What temps were you running before and what are you running now?
That's not a very valid question! Your "engine" temps should run within about 10* of your selected t-stat temp. Now, the real question is the the rest of your system (radiator, water pump, fan clutch, and fan blade) capable of supporting that temp?

That is a valid question. My enging, thermostat, water pump, hose, O2 sensors up and down stream, cat, throttle body gasket, crank sensor, cam sensor, plugs/wires, temp sensor all new. Clutch fan checked, E fan checked. Tried high flow water pump as was as OE water pump, high flow Tstat and OE Tstat. The inky thing I haven't tried is my radiator.

Just for the record, "all new" does not mean "all good".

Standards for quality have turned into a pie-in-the-sky dream.

I run a 195F to 197F Thermostat. Quality matters on thermostats. I've had a Mr. Gasket go bad or come apart. I had a Motorrad stick open. Only a year or two on it. My '00 has a Carrol thermostat in it presently. Robert Shaw is being made again. Also, Stewart is made 'again' by the same company. I think Tru-flow is the head company.

That is a valid question. My enging, thermostat, water pump, hose, O2 sensors up and down stream, cat, throttle body gasket, crank sensor, cam sensor, plugs/wires, temp sensor all new. Clutch fan checked, E fan checked. Tried high flow water pump as was as OE water pump, high flow Tstat and OE Tstat. The inky thing I haven't tried is my radiator.
Most xj overheating issues are from a clogged radiator. Replace it with a cheap spectra from autozone and you will be good.

I put one a few days before heading to the Moab 35th Anniversary run. I have had CSF, and just replaced a Champion that I had no issues with. I wanted more cooling capacity since I was pulling a trailer with extra gear for the misses and kiddo and running one of Russ' deluxe strokers. I should have weighed it at the scale but didn't make the time. I have installed Mishimoto radiators, aftercoolers and oil coolers in Kawasaki Loaders and Link-Belt Excavators as they are OEM and have been consistently impressed with their quality.

My initial impression of the build was an improvement over the Champion but would hope so at 2x the price. Fit was off a bit, but was within adjustment of factory radiator support/ header mount. Just seemed torqued over to driver's side compared to how the Champion radiator was installed. I was a bit irritated with the A/C condenser brackets and lack of nuts since I was on a time crunch. I ended up cutting and drilling some 14g sheet metal brackets with proper size holes so I wouldn't have to use fender washers. I wish the cap was standard size, now I will need to get another adapter to pressure test my cooling system. Speaking of pressure, since it runs at a higher pressure I see coolant weeping at the factory spring clamps and will have to change them out. The threads on the neck for the overflow nipple ended up galling and had to be chased with a tap and die on the nipple to save them. I'm not sure if there was a burr or what, but was happy I didn't have to go to an oversize hole or something else.

Performance, ambient temps were 80 or less, so no where near extreme but had several long grades to climb and had no issues. Between higher cap pressure and greater cooling capacity it definitely ran cooler than experienced previously especially with the trailer. Coolant temps on oem gauge indicated 215 max. I did change from the conventional ethylene glycol based coolant to a OAT coolant after several coolant flushes. I would guess weight of loaded trailer/ gear at 1800 lbs. So far, I do like it.

PCQpd0qh.jpg
What radiator preformed best for you and what temps do you see?

Back