• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ or YJ

Which is better base to build from for a DD/trail use veh.???

• XJ

Votes: 124 93.9%
  • YJ

Votes: 11 8.3%

• Total voters

bluedragon436

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I am wanting to find out from you guys which you would consider to be a better ride as far as DD and weekend trail use?? I currently have a 1998 Cherokee Sport, and am looking at a 1995 YJ... I am wondering which you guys think is better for wanting to run 33" tires, decent lift and the usual needed upgrades with those... I know I will need at last 4.5" lift with either to even consider 33" tires. My main reason for considering the YJ more is the plethra of extra armor for the body, as I do still need to keep this street legal, and able to drive to work on Monday, can't be missing too many body panels or might be getting pulled over... just wanted to get some input from you guys, of course I know you are all partial to the XJ, and I understand that as well... Please don't flame me too much, just want to make sure I am starting off with the "best" base!!

You know your asking an XJ club right? :)
I would say XJ's are perfect DD/toys.

If you go extreme rock crawler I would start with a YJ since It has a frame. I'm into my XJ way to much just in frameing for my build.

You cant beat the XJ for a DD. Unless you reaaaaaally want that whole convertable top thingy.

XJ:
Springs up front
Real doors and a roof
Longer Wheel base
More lift required for same tire size
Doesnt have a frame

YJ
Soft top
Shorter wheel base
has a real frame

They both have really good aftermarket support and it will probably cost you **about** the same amount depending on your specifications.

If i were deciding, i would pick the XJ everytime for DD and some trail use. But for more heavy duty stuff, i would go YJ because of the frame.

They both have really good aftermarket support and it will probably cost you **about** the same amount depending on your specifications.

I'd have to disagree with that statement. For the price of a lift for an XJ, you can pretty much build a YJ. The aftermarket products for a Wrangler are staggeringly greater than a XJ. And MUCH cheaper ta boot!

And as for the folks that say the ride is smoother in an XJ, honestly, it's a load of crap. It might be slightly smoother, but once the lift is on, it's not as though the XJ is a comfortable ride anywho. And if you toss on a shackle reversal on the YJ, it's just as smooth.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd would go the YJ route without a second thought. The only thing that even put me in a XJ in the first place was the $2k price tag. If I had 4k to spend, I'd be driving a Wrangler now. But I was poor and in dire need of a ride, so I got a budget jeep which has turned out to be nothing but a headache (and by that I mean, all parts need to be special ordered as there are very few Cherokee upgrades in stock here in San Diego, the engine bay is totally enclosed making it a bitch to work on, the cost of lifts for an XJ are through the damn roof, and to top it off, for an SUV, the thing has surprisingly little room for either passengers or storage...so again, not a huge loss going to the YJ)......then again, I guess you get what you pay for.

The only downfall I ever had with a Wrangler is that U-haul won't rent you a trailer unless you have the hardtop.

Yeah I wish I could afford to purchase the YJ and have both, and build them the way I would want too... maybe one day (way down the road) but am looking more for what is a good base to build off of if I can only have one or the other.... I do enjoy the XJ, and I do already own it... but I know that there are way more parts out for the YJ's compared to the XJ's, and as I mentioned before way more as far as armor and such... I know they both are sort of setup differently... and I do like the coil front end of the XJ, but as I don't have kids, and don't plan too, not too worried about needing way too much room for storage and such... but I understand where you guys are coming from as far as weekend trips, or long trips such as the DE to the Moab, like I plan to make at least once during my life... Thank you guys for your help thus far, and I am going crazy figuring out what I really want right now....

What is the deal with the having to have the hard top to rent a trailer from Uhaul?? And the larger aftermarket support and options for the Wrangler than the XJ, that is one of the primary reasons that makes it more appealing to me honestly!! As I def. don't have any fab. skills... well not yet anyways!!

"(and by that I mean, all parts need to be special ordered as there are very few Cherokee upgrades in stock here in San Diego, the engine bay is totally enclosed making it a bitch to work on, the cost of lifts for an XJ are through the damn roof, and to top it off, for an SUV, the thing has surprisingly little room for either passengers or storage...so again, not a huge loss going to the YJ)"

I do not agree with any of that.

^^^ I will have to say after checking into both models, and looking stuff up on the internet, I will say that this statement is not too far off though!!! That is one main reason why I am looking more towards the YJ... but still open to opinions and thoughts on the subject one way or another!!

If i could get the cargo capacity of an XJ in a YJ, i would own a YJ.

Unless the rare clean CJ-8 with a full hardtop found it's way to my driveway.

I like all jeeps but what I didn't agree with or understand was:
1. All XJ parts need to be special ordered?????
2. 4.0's are hard to work on? I have had over 50 different vehicles and the 4.0 is one of the easier engines to work on.
3. All lifts are too expensive. XJ or YJ.
4. "The XJ has surprisingly little room for either passengers or storage". Compared to a YJ? You gotta be kidding.
Good luck.

Just an opinion, but for what I do, an XJ is all around better for me. I can drive my XJ at around a hundred on the autobahn, with no real issues. I wouldn't feel comfortably doing that in my YJ.
I do a bit of dirt roading in my XJ, maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems I spent a lot more time going up and down and sideways in my YJ.
Maybe it's just because I'm old, but the comfort of the XJ is appreciated.
I usually find a work around in high center situations and really tight places in my XJ, though it really doesn't happen all that often anyway.
My old YJ had a better heater. Hosing out the floor instead of cleaning the carpets was a plus.

"The Scouts have the simplest mission in the U.S. military, find the enemy, report, don't let him out of your sight (or sights), don't get killed or captured."

No way. It doesn't get any simplier than straight leg infantry. Hike all day with a giant heavy pack on your back to the top of the biggest mountain you can see, dig a hole & sleep in it. Wake up the next day and do it all over again.

Sorry, back on topic. 29 to 5 for the XJ!

The poll program doesn't understand math!! Currently 30 for XJ 5 for YJ, and it's claiming 90.91% vs. 15.15%!!!! I didn't know that a cent was now 106!????!!???? Maybe it's taking inflation into account or something?

The poll program doesn't understand math!! Currently 30 for XJ 5 for YJ, and it's claiming 90.91% vs. 15.15%!!!! I didn't know that a cent was now 106%
It's the people in Pres. Obama's other 7 states voting that are throwing off the percentages.

As far as XJ or YJ for the DD, I'd have to go with the XJ. Having daily driven a CJ(5) for about 40K miles, and an XJ for about 50K, here are the aspects I would compare.(This is for a DD, remember)
Closing and SEALING doors.
Wind noise(or lack of).
Effective climate control.
Elect. creature comforts.

The YJ is a great day-wheeler, trail runner, and short trip/short commute vehicle. It can be built into a awesome rock crawler/off road monster. It can not be built into a comfortable long haul driver. The tops won't seal well. Even the TJs have wind noise/air intrusion/fabric flapping at highway speeds(That means water intrusion in the rain) If you like listening to music, well, you can't in a YJ(at speed). Like cruise control? The YJ option is from JC Witney. Like heat in the winter? The YJ has a great heater, unfortunately, at speed, all the heat blows out the doors/top/etc, and you freeze your a**off. Same with the AC!

id say xj hands down i currently own both have had 2 Yj's and enjoyed it through high school but long trips sucked with hard top or soft the noise is annoying and when it comes to the trail my xj just seems to take the whole trip in stride better

and it sucks to be caught in the rain without your top
cargo room (trail or work stuff) no comparison

95 yj 4" lift 31" muds = rough loud ride
00 xj 5.5" lift 33" muds = alot more comfort all around

No question about it, go with the XJ. I have both a done up YJ and just finished building up my XJ, which are roughly the same build, same tires, ect. I switched to the XJ for many reasons and I dont think twice about the move:

roof/windshield that doesn't leak
you can sleep in the back camping
way more cargo/passenger space (roof rack, fold down seats, rearmost cargo area)
smoother ride, quieter ride, warmer ride
lower initial cost
longer wheelbase better for towing and handling in the winter snow
four doors for easier passenger and cargo entry
much easier to find parts (imo)

....but with that said.... the YJ was a chick magnet ;)

I have rear HVAC in my XJ...good luck finding that in a YJ. YJ has almost zero back seat...the XJ seat isn't expansive, but two adults can fit reasonably well. I drove my TJ across country and hated it by the time I was done, imagine that in a YJ...no thanks. My XJ drives about 600 miles a week with 4.5" lift, the only reason I would choose a Wrangler is due to the removeable top. The XJ is very capable off road and IMO a better on road choice.

I now have an XJ and a CJ, and the XJ is far superior as a DD than the CJ. The YJ's are more modern than my CJ (cruise control, A/C, Defrost), but they are same when it comes to ride quality. My wife prefers the CJ because its more of an adventure to get to work in the morning. :D

I was on a Jeep Jamboree last fall with my XJ and there was a Stock YJ in our group that sucket it up on every obstacle. His front sway bar and rear track bar weren't helping, but his rig had absolutely no flex. If I was going to buy a Wrangler I'd go with a TJ over a YJ. Coils all around are awesome and the TJ's had great components, you have to be careful with some of the earlier YJ Engines, Transmisions, T-Cases (NP 207), and Axles.

I'd have to disagree with that statement. For the price of a lift for an XJ, you can pretty much build a YJ. The aftermarket products for a Wrangler are staggeringly greater than a XJ. And MUCH cheaper ta boot!

And as for the folks that say the ride is smoother in an XJ, honestly, it's a load of crap. It might be slightly smoother, but once the lift is on, it's not as though the XJ is a comfortable ride anywho. And if you toss on a shackle reversal on the YJ, it's just as smooth.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd would go the YJ route without a second thought. The only thing that even put me in a XJ in the first place was the $2k price tag. If I had 4k to spend, I'd be driving a Wrangler now. But I was poor and in dire need of a ride, so I got a budget jeep which has turned out to be nothing but a headache (and by that I mean, all parts need to be special ordered as there are very few Cherokee upgrades in stock here in San Diego, the engine bay is totally enclosed making it a bitch to work on, the cost of lifts for an XJ are through the damn roof, and to top it off, for an SUV, the thing has surprisingly little room for either passengers or storage...so again, not a huge loss going to the YJ)......then again, I guess you get what you pay for.

The only downfall I ever had with a Wrangler is that U-haul won't rent you a trailer unless you have the hardtop.

A YJ is a great vehicle when modified and does have more aftermarket support BUT you have not done your homework making a statement like you did!! If you are so unhappy with your piece of shit XJ why don't you get rid of it, buy a YJ and and leave this forum! You SoCal kids........... :conceited

Back