• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj dana 44 shafts.

I think $150 a pair is a fairly standard price for OEM if the bearings and seals are good.

IIRC, that's what I got for my spare set, and had two or three people lined up for them.

Consider that bearings, seals, retainer plates, and donuts will run about $85-100 if buying new blanks. Add $20 for the machine shop to press them together, and you're still looking at $350 or so for a new OEM shaft pair.

While I haven't checked on the shafts, the XJ backing plates are on national back order. I can't wait so I have modified the TJ backing plates to work. you have to open up 2 holes a little wider and the bottom 2 get redrilled.
FYI if your planning on putting a locker in that D44 along with some new shafts then consider stepping up to the super 44 kit. its only about $200 more than new superiors and a 30 spline detroit.

DaffyXJ said:
Actually some do. A guy in the club bout a set of alloyusa shafts last month and got excatly that. 2 shafts 29 1/2 long.

I have a set of stock D44 shafts (5x4.5) for sale, 150.00 +shipping from MD.

Mikes Parts is also a good source for the retaining plates.

Alloy USA makes the shafts in 29.75 and 29.25. I think that guy just measured wrong. If the axle was 29.5, when it would be bolted down it would bind on the cross shaft. That is the reason you can't make the axle any longer. HTH.

-Mike

Are you sure about the TJ and XJ shafts being different. Cause I have a set of both and I just measured them and they are the same lengths. And I know they are TJ and XJ shafts cause I pulled them my self. Led ( im sure he will correct me if im wrong) runs Alloy USA shafts and he confirmed that the TJ and XJ shafts are the same length.....

jrsxj98 said:
Are you sure about the TJ and XJ shafts being different. Cause I have a set of both and I just measured them and they are the same lengths. And I know they are TJ and XJ shafts cause I pulled them my self. Led ( im sure he will correct me if im wrong) runs Alloy USA shafts and he confirmed that the TJ and XJ shafts are the same length.....

They are the same length. The XJ and TJ shafts should be 29.25 and 29.75. The main difference is the retainer plate. The other difference is that the OD of the flange is smaller on the newer TJ's with disc brakes.

-Mike

Mike L said:
They are the same length. The XJ and TJ shafts should be 29.25 and 29.75. The main difference is the retainer plate. The other difference is that the OD of the flange is smaller on the newer TJ's with disc brakes.

-Mike

Thats what I thought. Couldn't figure out why everyone was saying they were different lengths. Quadratec is selling full set of Alloy usa shafts with bearings for 259.00

jrsxj98 said:
Thats what I thought. Couldn't figure out why everyone was saying they were different lengths. Quadratec is selling full set of Alloy usa shafts with bearings for 259.00

Yup and the new sets are chromoley (sp?) with dual bolt patterns (5x4.5 and 5x5.5).

-Mike

does anyone actually make chromo (4130/4140) shafts for the TJ or XJ D44 rear? my understanding is that all the manufacturers are playing to the fact that when people read "alloy" they wrongly assume that means 4130/4140 when in fact it is another (lesser) alloy like 1541.

I know manufacturers make genuine chromo front shafts, but I haven't heard of any off the shelf chromo rears for D44s.

BrettM said:
does anyone actually make chromo (4130/4140) shafts for the TJ or XJ D44 rear? my understanding is that all the manufacturers are playing to the fact that when people read "alloy" they wrongly assume that means 4130/4140 when in fact it is another (lesser) alloy like 1541.

I know manufacturers make genuine chromo front shafts, but I haven't heard of any off the shelf chromo rears for D44s.

Like I said, Alloy USA is making Chromo rear D44 axles. They have the 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 patterns. Look at the top of THIS page. P/N ALL12135.

-Mike

Last edited:
plates were $14.25 at the local dealer. I got them last week.
part number for the plates: 8350 4190
part number for seals: 8350 3063
part number for bearing: J323 0115

Thought that would help. I have parts cd with all the parts numbers. Juice

Back