• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ-8 Grill (Round headlight grill)

djblade311 said:
Nice work. I'm impartial. I like it because its unique...don't like it because I prefer the squareness of the original to match the rest of the body lines. If the XJ had more curviness in the body, that grill would match it well.

a few rocks should fix that.

I like it cause it reminds me of my old CJ-5 that i shouldnt have sold... though it did give me some money for the XJ:smoker:

i think its looks cool. its different and you wont see that on a regular day. did you remove a section of the cj grill and weld the top and bottom together? also, are the round light buckets supported by the grill itself?

sure looks like a fun project.

Thumbs up!!

POSXJGuy said:
i think its looks cool. its different and you wont see that on a regular day. did you remove a section of the cj grill and weld the top and bottom together? also, are the round light buckets supported by the grill itself?

sure looks like a fun project.

Thumbs up!!

I took two CJ grills cut them at the last opening vertically and welded them back together. Then I cut the bottom off and cut a section out of the middle and welded the bottom back on. Kind of like sectioning a car but a small scale. The areas around the curved portion of the lights took some time to massage them to fit right. Then I had to build the ends up with additional metal. After that I trimmed the sides to the final size and built the lip around all the sides. There are sections that are not seen in the pictures that I added to match the shape of the corner lights which also frames in the round portion of the headlights. The grill is currently be preped for paint and should be finished within the next couple days. To move the head lights out another 1" to 1 1/2" out on both sides it would have taken three grills to make. I have built one off stuff in the past for show cars but I thought I would try a round headlight option because after a lot of searching I didn't find anyone who had ventured in this direction. I think everyone should have some individuality. I am waiting to see the final product before I make my own decision on if I like it or not. I think initially it was such a different look I was undecided, but the longer I look the better it gets. I will try to have more pics up soon with it being closer to finished.

The headlights are supported by the grill just like they were on the CJ's. THe grill is plenty stought to hold them without any worries.

If u like it dont matter wat anyone else thinks. Since u went through all the trouble i assume u like it so keep it. It doesnt look that bad either. Good work!

Cruzin Illusion said:
I took two CJ grills cut them at the last opening vertically and welded them back together. Then I cut the bottom off and cut a section out of the middle and welded the bottom back on. Kind of like sectioning a car but a small scale. The areas around the curved portion of the lights took some time to massage them to fit right. Then I had to build the ends up with additional metal. After that I trimmed the sides to the final size and built the lip around all the sides. There are sections that are not seen in the pictures that I added to match the shape of the corner lights which also frames in the round portion of the headlights. The grill is currently be preped for paint and should be finished within the next couple days. To move the head lights out another 1" to 1 1/2" out on both sides it would have taken three grills to make. I have built one off stuff in the past for show cars but I thought I would try a round headlight option because after a lot of searching I didn't find anyone who had ventured in this direction. I think everyone should have some individuality. I am waiting to see the final product before I make my own decision on if I like it or not. I think initially it was such a different look I was undecided, but the longer I look the better it gets. I will try to have more pics up soon with it being closer to finished.

The headlights are supported by the grill just like they were on the CJ's. THe grill is plenty stought to hold them without any worries.

that is pretty creative and it looks good. nothing ventured nothing gained and now you have your own style up front.

i can appreciate that type of customization. its pretty unique.

Cool and Out of the Box, yet I think I would side with Yellaheep!
If the Rounds had been more to the outside and a little smaller in diameter or without bright surrounds?
Thank you for breaking into the unknown and wanted

kudo's for trying something different and a good job at that.

can't help but wondering; what if you did move the lights over and snipped a few bars ...
XJ_round_headlight2.jpg

MaXJohnson said:
kudo's for trying something different and a good job at that.

can't help but wondering; what if you did move the lights over and snipped a few bars ...

I was thinking that too. shouldn't be too hard to make a 7-slot out of it that way.

Thanks to 87XJCO (creator of the Xota) for finishing, priming and soon to be painting of the grill. Here is a couple of pictures of it in primer.

Dsc02038.jpg

Dsc02040.jpg

Here is a more detailed picture of the headlight area and a picture of the grill painted. I will be installing it tomorrow and I should be able to get some finished pictures up tomorrow night.
100_1976.jpg

DSC02043.JPG

I like it. I had that idea a couple weeks ago, not to the new grill part though. I got it from a hoosier that lives in the next town over, he had a round headlight rigged into his POS dakota and it got me to thinking. I like the way you did yours with a new grill. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

resembles a bit toward the liberty

Really, really cool. I like it how it is, I like it even more in the photochop w/ the moved light and fewer bars, and chroming it would be the ultimate. Those who don't like the round lights- why not start with a YJ grille? That would be really sleeper - you could pretty much mimic a stock grill but in all metal.

Reminds me of an old Bronco.

Nice job!!

Cool grill. I would be interested in seeing a photoshop look of the same idea with a couple YJ grills. BTW, how about more pics of the gal in the background? :) Jeff

Cruzin Illusion said:
Here is a more detailed picture of the headlight area and a picture of the grill painted. I will be installing it tomorrow and I should be able to get some finished pictures up tomorrow night.
100_1976.jpg

DSC02043.JPG

How about a quick MS PAint?
27xkophln7.jpg

7 Slot
27xkophpv2.jpg

Took it off this one:
YJ_front_350.jpg

Not perfect, but it gives you an idea.

Last edited:
Keep the proportion of the YJ headlight and add small, round turn indicators underneath - maybe pair them with small ricer driving lamps.

Oh, definitely 7 slot. Less "busy" looking.

Back