• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ-5 Grille Build

Coming along very nicely, but I still can't wait to see final results.

It's looking awesome dude! I think you could sell these as replacements for the stock stuff. I like the idea of small round turn signals in the corners below the headlights.

before you bolt it on you should make a mold for fiberglass encase you mash it or get hit. plus you could make reproductions for others. just a thought.

its looking great

before you bolt it on you should make a mold for fiberglass encase you mash it or get hit. plus you could make reproductions for others. just a thought.

its looking great

If i had the know how and access to materials i definitely would.

Maybe you should just get some LED turn signals and put them on the bumper.

Doing something that makes sense is always my last resort :confused1

on an unrelated note, Moving up here gave me good access to nice wheeling spots. Broken arrow in sedona:

23511_1323023268893_1030170256_3080.jpg

Last edited:
It's looking awesome dude! I think you could sell these as replacements for the stock stuff. I like the idea of small round turn signals in the corners below the headlights.

hell yes! figure out how to copy these in fiberglass and I'll buy one quicker than a NewYork minute! I've already got the led turn signals and some round headlights sitting around...

Psh... turn signals are for pus**es
Just go oldschool and stick your arm out the window:D

little bit of work today. More sanding and shaping, followed by a couple coats of resin. I really need to water proof it good. Coming together though.

06172010092.jpg

06172010091.jpg

It's a lot easier to see the shape of things now that it's shiny. Another coat or two should be build up enough for me to lightly sand out the brush marks and whatnot. After that i have to rebuild the mounts. all but one of them were ripped off...not surprising seeing as how the header panel was an inch away from being in 2 pieces when i bought it. :laugh2:

Got all the resin sanded down today. thought i'd throw a coat of primer on it just to see where i stand. found out that the slots needed to be rounded a bit more so a bit of sandpaper glued to a bottle fixed that up. Things left to do:

- work on the scallops a little bit. Even them up.
- sand
- reinforce the back
- make sure it's waterproof
- sand
- figure out a cool "jeep" logo (already have an idea)
- sand
- fix the mounting bolts
- prime
- wait until i can paint the jeep and then chuck it on

06202010094.jpg

well, I broke out the spot putty and 220 grit today so i must be getting close:

06212010099.jpg

06212010100.jpg

Sanded all that down and then applied another coat of primer. Theres still a few little spots that need filled but overall the outside is pretty much done.

06212010101.jpg

I'm surprised how even the scallops came out. Can't really see them with the flat primer, but i'm glad i went with it. adds a little more interest at the bottom:

06212010103.jpg

I dig it.

Last edited:
Back