• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: NP242 Front DS

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone got one laying around for a reasonable price? Took my DS to a shop to have a new u-joint put in and he called me back saying something was messed up that would require something to be re-welded. My phone was breaking up so I couldn't hear exactly, and I don't have a chance to go get it back until Tuesday, so I will know more about what the deal is and if the shop is just trying to get out of it then. But until then, I figured I'd prepare for worst-case and start parts-hunting, which is needing a new front DS. Vehicle is an 89 Limited Auto with the NP242. Thanks.

Unless the pin is broken in the Ball socket for the cardian, then it just needs a rebuild kit. Any stock, 4x4 XJ front drive shaft will work. If need be, I have a few.. I could also instruct you on how to replace the ball and cup yourself.

I use all spicer parts when I rebuild mine.

Dave
480-600-9174

Got the shaft back yesterday, and the centering bearing or something is definitely busted. Something in the middle. The shop guy also said its been cut apart and rewelded before, and the weights on I t aren't factory. So just getting a new driveshaft looks to be my cheapest bet. So if you've got one, let me know and I will see what I can do.

I have 1 but the problem is that the yoke on the 242 from a 97+ is a different size then the older style. I'm not sure if I can put the later model ball socket into the older style cardian.

If I have time tomorrow I'll do some research. or if you do the research and get me a part number i can make it happen..

Dave
480-600-9174

I could take a driveshaft with me up north. I could meet him in payson on thursday night or sometime monday on my way back down. I will be heading to forest lakes.

Unfortunately I'm over in Williams, west of Flagstaff, so Payson is a decent way out of the way. Also, depending on the time, I need to be up at 5am Friday morning for work. And I don't get paid until Friday morning. Ugh, the joys of life lol. I do very much appreciate it, Tuffnuttz, perhaps if you head up next week I can see if I can get down that direction and meet up.

That's much closer to me! It would have to be later in the evening though, I won't get off work until around 7pm and take me about 45 minutes to get to Munds Park.

I will be on Schnebly Hill Road. 1 Mile South of Munds Park. If there is a way to get the shaft to me in Anthem, I can carry up with me too. Leaving Friday night after the high school football game. It would be best to pick it up on Saturday.

If the helps at all just let me know

Dave 480-206-3028. (Text or call)

Like I said before, I wouldn't be able to get down that way until after 8pm. So if that's ok, I can make the trip down there and grab it. What were you looking to get for it, Tuffnuttz?

Well my phone kicked the bucket today so I just had to shell out $250 for a new one, so since this isn't a pressing issue, Tuffnuttz, if you're cool with it, I will get back to you in a week or two. I need to recoup finances and sleep this weekend. I do appreciate it, I will be in touch. Thanks.

Cool. I was out of town for the weekend and couldn't get a hold of the person heaqded that way. But I will be up there over the weekend of the 14th, around and south of Munds park area.

Is anyone planning on making a trip up this direction sometime in the next week or two?

Bump, anyone? Really want to get this all squared away before the weather starts to turn crappy (got a strange feeling about this winter being a big one for us up here).

Bump. Anything?

OK thanks. I just want to make sure the 99 will fit my 89, someone said they were different?

I have found that the Yoke's are a different size on some np231's and Np242's. Best to take measurements ahead of time.

What measurements do I need to take?

Back