• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB Grand Cherokee Seats

spazzyfry123

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some nice leather Grand Cherokee seats to swap into my '00 XJ. Power and heated are a definite plus. Black is the preferred color. I'm located about 45 minutes north of Atlanta and local is the best!

Thanks,
-Tyler

WJ seats .. wayyyyy better! Junk Yard!

WJ>ZJ? In comfort? Ease of installation? I found a local set on craigslist that are exactly what I want and are out of a ZJ; I'm just waiting on a response.

I just installed a set of 2003 WJ Limited Laredo seats into my 96 XJ. Holy Crap. They are SO nice. The stock XJ seat rails/bases do bolt to the WJ seat, but you lose the power options (unless you had the option on your xj). I did a little fabrication work and ended up using the WJ brackets so I wouldnt lose the power options. I have forward, backward, up and down, power lumbar, and heat in both seats. The heat function is not able to be used without a WHOLE lot of red tape and hoops though, so I dont have it hooked up now. The seats are killer though.

I would love to retain the power/heat options if at all possible. Do you have any leads on what needs to be done to do so?

I was looking around on some other websites, along with here, that were saying that all XJs 99+ (can't remember the exact year, just knew that mine was in it), used the same harness, just items were left "unplugged" at the piggy back as necessary. How true it is, I have no idea as I haven't actually looked. But I know that I have read the same basic idea multiple times in various areas. Sooooo... What about the Limited XJs with power seats from the factory? Are those plugs in there waiting for the correct harness to be plugged into? They all said it was under the passenger seat/side.

If you dont have power seats now the brackets arent the same so you wont have the motor to run the seats back and forth. Now you could go to a junkyard and get some xj brackets with power and get your wj seats you want but grab the wire harness. When I tore the interior out of my jeep (which has nothing power) There are plugs were you can plug power seat wire harness into.

i went looking for zj swap and found a how to:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/grand-cherokee-front-rear-seat-swap-95-xjs-69296/
im still looking for a how to for wj seats..

found this on cherokee forum:'84-'94 XJ's: Your seat mounts are different from those of '95+ XJ's. They are closer together, and they bolt into the body differently. This makes it impossible to do a simple seat track swap for a set of '95+ XJ, any ZJ, and/or any WJ seats to fit. However, with some small modification, you can make it work.
1. Get the floor mounts and hardware from a '95+ XJ.
2. Find your desired seats. Manual seats are much easier because you don't have to run wiring for the power, plus it's one less thing to go wrong.
3. You'll need to pull your current seats out, including the floor mounts.
4. Put in the new seats, fully assembled.
5. Mark where the bolt holes are at for the floor mounts and pull the seats back out.
6. Drill holes for the new mounts to match up to so they can be bolted to your XJ.
7. Put your new seats back in and bolt them in with thread lock.

'95-'01 XJ's: Very simple swap
1. Find your desired seats from either a '95+ XJ, any ZJ, or any WJ.
2. Pull out the seats by simply unbolting the floor mounts.
3. Swap your current floor mounts and track rails with those on the new seats.
4. Put the new seats in and bolt them in. Congratulations, you now have a much comfier XJ!

Last edited:
IMHO, ZJ seats are way more comfortable than WJ seats...and this is coming from a guy with both a WJ and ZJ in his garage as DDs.

I just installed a set of 2003 WJ Limited Laredo seats into my 96 XJ. Holy Crap. They are SO nice. The stock XJ seat rails/bases do bolt to the WJ seat, but you lose the power options (unless you had the option on your xj). I did a little fabrication work and ended up using the WJ brackets so I wouldnt lose the power options. I have forward, backward, up and down, power lumbar, and heat in both seats. The heat function is not able to be used without a WHOLE lot of red tape and hoops though, so I dont have it hooked up now. The seats are killer though.

Sounds like what I did with my JY seats. Scored a sweet set of leather seats out of a 90 XJ for $70. Cut the bottom of my factory brackets off and welded them to the bottom of the 90's seats. Hit them with a bit of black spray paint to make it look nice and bolted it right in. Love having squishy leather seats in the Jeep :)

Maybe some day i'll get around to running power to them...

Back