• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will it pull my XJ?

JuicyJuice4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally saved up enough money to buy a new truck after paying for school this year. I'm looking at a couple of Fords. The three I'm thinking about getting are...
1. 99 F-150
4x4
5.4l
105,000 miles
tow package
2. 05 F-150 STX
5.4l
2wd
72,000 miles
3. 05 F-150 Flareside STX
5.4l
2wd
89,000 miles

Just trying to see which would pull the Jeep the best and still provide me good gas mileage when I commute to school. Thanks everyone!

#2.

2wd get better mileage, and flaresides cut bed space. Or get an F-250 and call it a day, little but worse mileage, it will tow better.

don't buy a 5.4 the motor is a dog and doing spark plugs is a bitch, they like to seize and brake in half in the head, or they just come flying out as your driving.

ef0beb88-6584-102e-bd38-bd6eed5b00efr.jpg

don't buy a 5.4 the motor is a dog and doing spark plugs is a bitch, they like to seize and brake in half in the head, or they just come flying out as your driving.

^^^ This. The 5.4l sucks. Its under powered for a truck and those are very accurate spark plugs pictured from a 5.4. I'd take a chevy 6.2l diesel over the 5.4l ford and the 6.2l is a pile of dung. Save up and get an F250 with the 7.3l or a Dodge 3500 with a cummins.

5.4 = :puke:

dont know what these guys are talking about i have no trouble pulling my xj on my 18' deck over with a weeks worth of camping gear at 70 mph yes it might not be as much hp as a hemi but the tq curve is sweet. as far as the plugs go once you change out the originals its no big deal.

BTW anyime you want to run the 1/4 mile in your 6.2 gm crap diesel let me know

Last edited:

Those plugs are fords response to the older style that would blow out. The only time the older style blow out was when whey are replaced and not tightened properly.
Buy with that said, the 5.4 is still a dog compared with other vehicles out there, but it will get the job done. It may not be the fastest with a trailer behind it, but if the only thing you tow is your jeep a few times a year, it will be fine.

A few things to look at before you buy one-
check the exhaust manifold studs, they are known for breaking, and they almost always need to be drilled out. its not a cheap repair.
check for oil leaks around the head gasket. not that common, but I have seen a few, usually a sign of overheating on the 5.4

Cummins powered ______ . 'nuff said.

get what you can afford.
I get so tired of everyone saying you need a diesel to pull a jeep anywere you go.
Get a low mileage half ton. the fuel mileage the other 27 days a month you arent pulling are pretty nice.
Right now diesel is almost $1 more a gal than gas were I live.

and for the record I have a fairly modded diesel pickup

I have been giving the new ford v6 eco-boost f150 some serious thought for my next DD/jeep hauler, and keep my 3/4ton for "heavy" hauling only

Last edited:
get what you can afford.
I have been giving the new ford v6 eco-boost f150 some serious thought for my next DD/jeep hauler, and keep my 3/4ton for "heavy" hauling only

I know that V6's have come a long way, heck, some in sports car trim would give V8 cars of the mid 70's - mid 90's a solid whomping but do you really think that in a truch application it would be a good hauler?

I realize that fuel expenses are becoming such a headache but, there is really no substitution for the grunt of a diesel when pulling big loads. For me it'd have to be a try it first and see if it works. Like maybe try to rent one of those Fords first and see how it does.

Well I ended up getting a Toyota Tacoma instead. Better bang for my buck and being a commuting college student, it seemed like the better thing. Talked the guy down to $9400 from $17k so I think I did alright. And apparently I can still tow my Jeep with it, just not as easily, but I'll be the judge of that haha

A guy in the Jeep club towed his YJ on a trailer a few hundred miles with no problems behind a 4.0 Taco.

The 5.4 is the worst part of the ford truck. The truck itself isn't going to have the complete lack of quality that you'd get with a dodge and it has a solid axle (3/4 and 1 ton trucks) unlike the Chevys.

I've towed a bit with the 5.4. Oddly enough, it seems to like to have coil die while towing. Even with 4.10s, any time there is a hill I have to downshift before too long or it'll just stop pulling. They like to rev and I've never had a problem with it pulling a hill at 4000RPM. When towing with a 5.4 - you have to make good use of the redline ;)

Honestly, for towing, I'd rather have an underpowered engine in a solid truck with a heavy duty suspension, brakes, etc. Pulling the trailer fast and taking off from stoplights is only part of it; you also need to stop it and control it.

Sweet! I'm thinking with my chopped XJ, the 4.0 should be able to handle it. I saw a guy towing a 1 ton full bodied Cherokee with another 4.0 Cherokee so I'm hopeful! And luckily the Tacoma came with trailer brake adapters, class 4 hitch, and heavier springs. Thinking about getting air bags to help a little bit. Gotta wait for more money though!

I know that V6's have come a long way, heck, some in sports car trim would give V8 cars of the mid 70's - mid 90's a solid whomping but do you really think that in a truch application it would be a good hauler?

I realize that fuel expenses are becoming such a headache but, there is really no substitution for the grunt of a diesel when pulling big loads. For me it'd have to be a try it first and see if it works. Like maybe try to rent one of those Fords first and see how it does.
From everything I have seen, I wouldn't rule out the ecoboost for light towing, but I would rather wait untill they put the direct injection in the 6.2 or the 5.0.

I notice nobody has uttered the "C" word here. But I just would remark that my old ****rolet 3/4 ton with the 350 V8 would pull a Jeep on a dolly without breaking a sweat. It was easy to forget there was anything there at all.

Another vote for no 5.4L. 100K = coil packs and plugs. They also tend to have the cam phasers go out and you loose power. If you hear a truck your looking at ticking, just walk away. Youre looking at about $1500-2000 to have a shop change them out. Lots of good info over at http://www.f150forum.com . After going threw all this with my friends 04 f150 with 115k on it, I will not be buying a 5.4L any time soon.

Back