• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why does everyone recommend RE???

Basic instructions for all lift kits:

1. Remove cap
2. Place bottle to lips
3. Tilt bottle up and swallow.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 untill instillation of lift becomes clear.
5. Install lift.

I haven't installed a lift on my rig yet, but I have helped out on a couple of installs with some of the local guys. I have learned a huge amount each time I helped some one. I still can't believe that people are actually willing to give me beer and pizza so they can teach me how to work on my Jeep. :) I learn something new every time I turn a wrench on my rig. I just learned how to do brakes a week ago. I didn't have a clue, so I called a friend of mine and he came over and showed me what to do. Don't be affraid to ask for help. It may take a little longer, but learning to do things right the first time will always pay off.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Neil said:
Basic instructions for all lift kits:

1. Remove cap
2. Place bottle to lips
3. Tilt bottle up and swallow.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 untill instillation of lift becomes clear.
5. Install lift.

Is that like lather, rinse, repeat? BTW what's the RE part # for the beer?

:)

budha808 said:
Maybe some of you have missed the point, I figured out which way the shackles go in and how the heim joint parts fit together...BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO FIGURE THAT STUFF OUT!!! ...

If you don't like figuring things out, you better take that stuff off and go back to stock.

Welcome to the world of modifying your vehicle. You'll find that you have to figure a lot of things out from now on... :sunshine:

Karlm said:
Don't be affraid to ask for help. It may take a little longer, but learning to do things right the first time will always pay off.
I think when you ask for help, you learn better, and you get it done a lot faster. If I was trying to put mine together without a group that had done it before, my truck would probably still be up on jacks!

you're modifying tha suspension, which wil drastically affect the way your jeep handles, raise the center of gravity, etc. if yu don't know what you're doing, then you shouldn't even try. ask for help on install or take it to a qualified shop.

Last edited:
at least you got the right instructions they sent my instructions for a cj or something so i had to just figure it out

it doesnt look like much sympathy in this crowd.. i agree that explicit instructions for anything are the best but as was pointed out, it is a kit that involves modifying several major components in the suspension and drivetrain so it IS safe for RE to assume a certain level of knowledge and ability.... IMHO no Jeep owner should be without a FSM and the evil chiltons and haynes books as well.... the FSM is better than what RE could print for you anyways... and they do have tech support on the phone for those questions about things like shackles... trial and error is where its at... enjoy your new lift and we'll see you on the trails!!!

mike

The instructions have been a problem for RE, and they are at least aware of it. I was there in August and talked to the owner about it; and he said they were working on it. I've noticed they added online instructions at the www.rubiconusa.com website within the last month as well. Unlike other companies I have dealt with, RE seems very receptive to ideas and input from their customers. If you had problems with their instructions, detail the steps taken and what the issues were and send them a letter.

I agree with everyone here. The kits ARE expensive and should come with complete and detailed instructions. Thats pretty simple. It's kinda like how software companies shouldn't release software before it ready...

I also think that if you are tackling something like this without atleast a little help, even the best instructions may not be enough.

Okie Terry said:
If the point is to complain about RE and not ask for advice, then next time try the Non Tech-Off Topic forum to vent.
I believe this is the 'Modified Tech Discussion' forum not the 'Modified Tech Advice' forum. There are alot of posts here that are not advice, if this thread is not to your liking go to the next one

budha808 said:
I believe this is the 'Modified Tech Discussion' forum not the 'Modified Tech Advice' forum. There are alot of posts here that are not advice, if this thread is not to your liking go to the next one
Modified TECH discussion. Technically, you're not discussing the Tech aspect of the instuctions, only your dissatisfaction with the lack of paperwork they sent you. My original post woulda been different if you had asked for any technical help.

Anyway since I'm not actually discussing tech issues I think I will move on, oh mighty Budha.

budha808 said:

Really, this thread belongs in Non-tech.

You're bitching about a vendor.

That's not tech.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Really, this thread belongs in Non-tech.

You're bitching about a vendor.

That's not tech.

CRASH

Sooooo threads like 'what is a real xj' is a tech question?

How 'bout 'check out my pics of xxxxx' or 'send me pics of xxxx'

How 'bout replying to a good tech questions with a sarcasic remark and a beer reference, do those comments belong in non-tech?

RE NOT sending out good instructions is a techinal issue since nearly everyone on this forum recommends RE. I have seen far more off topic issues talked about without being flamed. Get a grip guys, RE not having good instructions is a tech issue and a big one. People reading this forum should know this before they chose to go with a vender, if someone else had mentioned this before I would have gone with a different lift and we wouldn't be talking about it now.

BTW Terry, the Sooners? Try rooting for a PAC Ten school next time that way you can have athlentics and education

Budha,

Sometimes the floodgates to "you've posted to the wrong forum" open, sometimes they do not. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason.

If you still have concerns regarding the installation, I would say postem'. As for the forum applicability comments....shrugem' off.

Some(most) of these guys(and gals) have been wrenching for a long time. There is a different perspective -- alot of this stuff is second nature to them. No need for instructions.

Before I bought my lift, I reviewed ALOT of lift installation write-ups. Despite that, and being mechanically-inclined, I chose not to do it myself. As I discovered, even the knowledgeble people sometimes encountered difficulties.

People reading this forum should know this before they chose to go with a vender, if someone else had mentioned this before I would have gone with a different lift and we wouldn't be talking about it now.

Are you telling me you would choose a brand of suspension based on the instructions that come with it?

Edit: Do you feel like you got a good lift at a fair price? Is it working as advertised? Does the product meet your expectations?

After you run this lift for about 2 weeks, you'll forget about the crappy instructions, you'll be very happy with their product, and you'll feel kindy dorky for making an issue out of the lack of good literature.

CRASH

Last edited:
CRASH said:
Are you telling me you would choose a brand of suspension based on the instructions that come with it?

Edit: Do you feel like you got a good lift at a fair price? Is it working as advertised? Does the product meet your expectations?

After you run this lift for about 2 weeks, you'll forget about the crappy instructions, you'll be very happy with their product, and you'll feel kindy dorky for making an issue out of the lack of good literature.

CRASH
It was certainly one of the factors considering I have never lifted an XJ (although I have done other lifts before) and since I was doing this over New Years weekend with all my 'help' out of town and I was doing this solo.

I didn't have a hard time figuring it out but the point is I shouldn't have to, if I had known how bad the instructions were I would have either waited and done this lift when I had some help, chosen to go with another lift or waited until RE got there head out of there &*$ and got some real instructions.

I understand how silly this might sound to someone who has done 12 XJ lifts but understand where I am coming from, I am very mechanical have built hot rods and 4x4s; engine, transmissions, lifts you name it. I wanted this lift to be a nice little weekend project taking about 8hrs (which is what this instructions say) instead because of these crappy instructions and alot of factory loctite it took about 25 hrs and was not fun.

budha808 said:
BTW Terry, the Sooners? Try rooting for a PAC Ten school next time that way you can have athlentics and education

I think you mean athletics...maybe you should have tried a PAC 10 school! :laugh3: Sorry had to say it :)

Anywho. With all this experience you have it should have been pretty easy. I had never lifted anything, did my research, KNEW RE's instructions sucked so I found a ton of other people's write-ups and installed my kit, mostly alone, with a little help from my wife and other people that had also never lifted anything. I had a few hang-ups that delayed me, but nothing these boards and JU didn't help me solve. I tell you what did piss me off about the RE kit is the that some of the parts were poorly manufactured like the new brake line thing had to be drilled out and the springpack retainer bolt was to big to fit in the spring perch. Not too big a deal though.

Back