• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why all the Rusty's hate?

not many have said the rusty's trac bar sucks it is the tre it comes with if you dont wanna spend huge $$$ just upgrade to this i had this on my old xj after i went through 3 tre's and after sold it to a friend and its still going fine (on original bushing with 4+ years and lots of hardcore wheeling)

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...ar/rustys-track-bar-hd-frame-mount-xj-zj.html

RC-TB150-UV_2.jpg

not many have said the rusty's trac bar sucks it is the tre it comes with if you dont wanna spend huge $$$ just upgrade to this i had this on my old xj after i went through 3 tre's and after sold it to a friend and its still going fine (on original bushing with 4+ years and lots of hardcore wheeling)

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...ar/rustys-track-bar-hd-frame-mount-xj-zj.html

RC-TB150-UV_2.jpg

Now that sounds like a plan, will I need a new alignment if I switch out the TRE and mounting bracket with this? I plan to get aligned this week but maybe should wait?

I still find it hard to believe that this is just going to break with my 3" lift and on road driving... Thanks to all for the advice.

For what it's worth i don't like the TRE style track bar. One off road adventure can kill it. And then you get mysterious clunks and pops. Even stock height. You might consider selling the NEW rustys track bar and get a nice one.

Rusty's just seems to have quality issues as a whole. I installed one of their longarm kits on an LJ, the first issue was that the front links were far too short and the front axle sat nearly 3" too far rearward with the joints threaded almost all the way out. Their solution was to send new joints with longer threaded shanks. :laugh2: It didn't matter that I wasn't real comfortable running 5" of threads showing, as the whole lift only stayed on the Jeep for less than 100 miles before the rear shocks pulled off the bushings 4 times, then the final straw was when one of the cartridge joints blew the adjuster nut out and fell apart when the customer was playing on our rock pile.

One off road adventure can kill it. And then you get mysterious clunks and pops. Even stock height.

Maybe this is my disconnect, I dont go off road, nor do I have the desire to. My XJ is 100% meant to be an on road DD so I can keep my Camaro parked during the winter and used sparingly during the summer. I think most of you are off road and this is why you need heavy duty parts.

Does knowing that I am only driving on road to and from work everyday change anyones opinion of that track bar for my application?

I have both, the wife drives her on dirt roads and what not, mine is for beating up. I installed a double on hers just for the comfort of knowing she wouldn't have a problem with the TRE on her old RC track bar.

Rusty's is crap, springs are ok but everything else is sketch. They didn't even try to make their metal fender flares look good, Rusty is a douche, shipping is absurd....among other things.

Does knowing that I am only driving on road to and from work everyday change anyones opinion of that track bar for my application?

If you're just driving to work and back, you don't need any of that stuff on your list. Keep it stock.

If you're just driving to work and back, you don't need any of that stuff on your list. Keep it stock.

Whatever was on it was worn out and rusted and the drivers side sat lower than passengers side, I looked for the mildest lift kit I could find with all suspension parts figuring I would swap everything out and be good for years to come...

Maybe this is my disconnect, I dont go off road, nor do I have the desire to. My XJ is 100% meant to be an on road DD so I can keep my Camaro parked during the winter and used sparingly during the summer. I think most of you are off road and this is why you need heavy duty parts.

No.

You're looking for the answer you want to hear, not the one you're getting from the crowd.

You've made up your mind so run it.

No.

You're looking for the answer you want to hear, not the one you're getting from the crowd.

You've made up your mind so run it.

Not true, I plan on either ordering the HD conversion kit from Rusty's or possibly a different one entirely but not before I understand the what and why. I just like to understand what is going on and why beyond the standard "rusty's is junk" answer that everyone seems to want to give...seems to me that a lot of folks just repeat that line and if you are going to say that its fine but I just would like a more in depth answer I guess....

Forgetting the track bar why does everyone say the Rusty's bushings are junk? Does that mean the OEM are junk also or just that both are not ideal for off roading? I have these parts on my jeep now and just want to know how to care for and maintain, "rusty's sux dude" does me no good....my daily driver likely requires different maintenance and care than your off road rigs, I am just trying to learn all I can.

Last edited:
Perhaps the "Rusty's sucks" answer is because so many of us have witnessed the various product failures on the trail and have grown tired of reciting in detail, the multiple reasons to not purchase inferior quality components, when asked.

Nearly 20 yrs of modified XJ ownership teaches one to run/fab properly engineered, quality components, so you can spend more time wheeling and less time broken down and/or recovering someone elses broken up rig, because they didn't take the advice of those who have been there and done that.

Some learn by example......others are the example.

There's a lot of junk bushings out there today. I have heard of problems with Crown or Dorman can't remember if it was one or both. I just bought bushings at NAPA and they were junk, broke on install. Clevite is the "gold standard" for bushings. MOOG or O'Reilly's Master Pro still seem to be Clevite. Very few people replace bushings with dealer bushings, but the factory ones tended to last a long time.

As far as the track bar, it was the first suspension component to go on my 01 XJ. In the time that the rest of the factory suspension lasted I went through two track bars. No heavy wheeling was involved. Just some fire roads once and a while. In my opinion, for better longevity use a more stout track bar. If you follow forums for other vehicles that use track bars they are one of the weaker components so a beefier design helps.

Again I dont offroad, sorry I am clearly on the wrong forum, didnt mean to waste anyones time.

You're on the right forum, there is even a section for strictly on road xj's. your problem is you're not listening, single shear can and will rock the bolt and wallow out the hole on the frame side causing more issues, a double shear stops that.

There seems to be a lot of lacking answers here.

Rusty's sells stuff advertised at one thickness, but if you cut it up, its something else. I've seen a lot of .250" and .188" tube items from rusty's be .090 and .120 when they broke.

Rusty's does poor quality welding with minimal penetration. I have *personally* seen 4 rusty's trackbars now come apart.. sometimes at the upper bung, sometimes the lower bushing.

Rusty's is known to ship with grade 5 hardware where grade 8 hardware should be required. Just being cheap.

Rusty's has a long history of shipping incomplete kits, when you call to straiten it out, rusty himself will come on the phone and belittle you, and tell you how you are wrong.

Rusty's has many times taken a phone order for X dollars with Y shipping. When the charge hits your card, shipping was Y+50%. "the nature of an estimate" they will tell you. I can tell you it doesnt cost $80 to ship a pair of coils USPS.

In general, Rusty's Offroad sells inexpensive yet still overpriced parts of very poor quality that will wear out quickly or break entirely. In our chapter, I can name two people who have had rigs totaled by Rusty's trackbars failing on the highway while fairlyl new. In both occasions Rusty's said it was "clearly an installation problem".

If you want to buy and use Rusty's go ahead and do it. From your first post here, its clear that you have already been warned of poor quality parts. I wish you the best, but please don't come wheel with us. I don't want Rusty's headache to be my headache yet one more time.

Ok I get the idea, can we possibly pull this out of the gutter and give me some helpful info?

1. Is this what I want to get to replace the track bar - http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IR-STBCK ??
1a. Should I wait on getting it aligned until I have the new track bar?

2. For the upper and lower control arm bushings (Rusty's) is there anything I should do to try and prevent issues? Is there a grease I should spread or spray on to keep them in as good a shape as possible?

3. Is there anything I can or should do to maintain the front and rear springs / leafs (Rusty's)?

4. I also replaced the rear shackles with - JKS OGS651 Rear Shackle Kit for Jeep XJ/MJ, anything I need to be on the lookout for with these?

Back