• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has the highest Miles on an OEM 4.0L...no head/cylinder work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
88 limited 130k RIP (Layed it on its side, sold engine still running in its new home)
88 laredo 225K RIP (floor rotted away; baked engine cracked block between cyls 5 and 6 still ran though)
94 sport 236k runs like a scalded dog
90 limited 161k (just broken in)

A friend of ours has a 90 that is being driven daily with 340K+ and climbing.

91 HO never gone through original everything. replaced factory water pump at 250 and factory alternator at 220

currently is closer to 270 than 260 runs great but could use a starter (oh and only power brakes/steering) will be stroked at the end of the summer

My 89 XJ Laredo 250,000+ miles had no engine problems except a radiator and overheating episode at about 155,000.

My 99 Classic went 100,000+ with no problems before trading it.

My 00 Sport has 145,000 miles with nothing done to the engine other than oil changes, serpentine, etc. Someday, I plan on replacing the spark plugs. But it runs great and knocks down 19-20 mpg with brisk driving, so I don't want to mess it up.

'87 MJ with 215,000 miles (replaced headgasket due to leak. Didn't machine it)

'93 XJ with 250,000 miles and runs fine. Does have piston slap when cold tho.

Not 4.0L, but it's bigger brother 4.6L mexican engine had 320,000 before the oil pressure sender blew off. Still ran but had BAAAD compression. (tore it down for a stroker buildup)

00xjsebb said:
My 89 XJ Laredo 250,000+ miles had no engine problems except a radiator and overheating episode at about 155,000.

My 99 Classic went 100,000+ with no problems before trading it.

My 00 Sport has 145,000 miles with nothing done to the engine other than oil changes, serpentine, etc. Someday, I plan on replacing the spark plugs. But it runs great and knocks down 19-20 mpg with brisk driving, so I don't want to mess it up.

my 95 xj was getting about 15mpg. I changed the plugs and pcv valves and air filter and it went up to 18mpg. Then I changed plug wires and its up to 23mpg. I suggest you do what you think is right.

12GaugeXJ said:
Man, can that picture get any bigger?:confused1

Nice looking rig BTW.

lol, sorry bout that, but if you saw it ib person it isn't so nice looking, i got rearended and the left side of my body got pushed forward about and inch or so, so next week hopefully it will be getting pulled, and me and my father will be fixing the rest of the body, but it wasn't bad for a frist car that was free and in decent shape for how old it is, and it will be good to learn on and no one in my town has one like it but anyway back to the milage

1996 4dr Sport 130412 6" lift, 34's, D30, 8.25 w/lockrite, 3.55 gears, home fabbed bumpers and rock rails, snorkel, D44 waiting to be installed, etc...AC is dead, of course:explosion
1999 4dr Sport 85775 Stock. D30/8.25, 3.55 gears, runs like a champ, haven't had any problems. Other than the AC crapping out.:explosion

Neither one of these have had any major engine work done. The 96 had the entire exhaust system replaced, and I still have a trouble code issue (purge solenoid, sound familiar?). Other than that, both run and idle well, no leaks or noises. Neither one of them are really broken in yet though...:repair:

just thought i'd share a story from today that relates to this...

i got emissions taken today and this lady walked up and wrote down the vin and then looked inside the jeep. "how many miles are on this, 29,000?" she then began to write 29,000 down. I kinda laughed and said "No, actually that would be 292,000 miles" She quickly looked up with a priceless baffled look on her face. It looked like she couldn't figure out what to say. finally she was like "WOW. That's...........................................really respectable." I just started laughing.

Oh yeah, and with 292,000 mi., i passed emissions with flying colors:party:

241098 on my 88... I treated it to a waterpump, hoses, open radiator conversion, balancer & idler pulleys, injectors, FP regulator, new exhaust, and alternator within the past 20k.

I’m way behind with a ’91, 175k. I’ve replaced the balancer, idler, 3 water pumps, power steering hp hose, clutch, 2 ac-comp’s and swapped in a two-row rad. I did tune-ups and replaced rubber parts as needed. That is all.
tipshades.gif

My 95 has 230,000 on it now and still does what I need it to do. Just changed the original alternater last weekend. I have been running 33X12.5's for the last 2 years so I don't know what the real milage actually is. Only thing that goes out is the clutch and the passenger side motor mount breaks the bolts off once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back