• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has Bushwackers and 15x10 rims?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I have 35" BFG MT and 15x10 in rims, so my tires stick out nice and far. I like the wider stance, but when it comes to salted roads in the winter or any wet roads in general, the side body panels and doors get caked with all the crap from the road. Needless to say, my stock flares don't do anything as far as body protection from the elements and pretty soon my XJ is going to turn into a rust heep.

Safety inspections are also coming up and I might not pass because so little of my tire is covered by the flare. My question is... how well do the Bushwackers cover that wheel/tire combo? I read all the forums about the pros/cons of the bushwackers and don't want to turn it into a debate on whether or not they are good, but as far as aftermarket flares go, they seem like they are the best option for better tire coverage. The TJ flares don't seem any wider than a stock XJ flare, so that would be pointless for my situation, and the Rusty's flares don't really seem any wider either.

So back to my question... do they mostly cover the tire or is there a better option out there?

they will definately do the trick. the cut out flares cover 5" from the body.

I have bushwackers with 15x10 rims and 35's. I love the look, and they really help to keep the crap off the side of the jeep. That is one of the main reasons i bought them. The tires barely stick out past the flare.

361849067_l.jpg

I had a set on my 87 wagoneer and they worked well for tire coverage and clearance issues. The only problem I really had with them is that they don't fair very well with trees or rocks. The material they are made of does not give very much.

I definately think BW look better than no fenders at all. I trimmed but I couldn't stand all the road crap covering my windshield and spraying into my side windows so i got BW - problem solved, and like i said i think they look way better than just cut sheet metal.

Glad you all decided to comment on the BW's, lol. I was getting worried myself, because I have those DC-1's in the garage waiting to get mounted on 33 x 12.50's, those wheels are 10". I already purchased the BW's and started stripping the OEM flares off tonight, so tomorrow the trimming begins. Will they cover those wheels and tires if the BS is 3.65. Hope so, peace out everybody

Subscribed. If I ever decided to upgrade my fender flares, I'd definitely go with BW. And as my 99 XJ is red, I'd want red ones painted to match ;)

Of course, that's assuming BW makes them for the 97+ XJs, as when I've looked before, I've not found any.

Arrgh. I Can't believe I'm contributing to another BW thread.

They only make BW flares for 84-96 cherokees, since the bumper ends and mouldings on the 97+ models need to be removed or modified to make them work.

The tires there are 31x12.5's and I'm running ~4" of lift.

Here's more of a side view, but with 31x10.5's on 15x8's
Fourwheelin038.jpg

FWIW, I've since sold those flares. I wish I never got them to begin with.

Oh, and I have to add-- 91XJ make sure you put some taller bump stops on your jeep with those wider wheels. They'll stick out too far to stuff into the wheelwell and will destroy your BW flares if you don't.

TRSCobra said:
Arrgh. I Can't believe I'm contributing to another BW thread.

They only make BW flares for 84-96 cherokees, since the bumper ends and mouldings on the 97+ models need to be removed or modified to make them work.

The tires there are 31x12.5's and I'm running ~4" of lift.

Here's more of a side view, but with 31x10.5's on 15x8's
Fourwheelin038.jpg

FWIW, I've since sold those flares. I wish I never got them to begin with.

you said you got rid of the bw's? do you have pics of it now?

IMGP1218.jpg

I'm thinking about remounting a set of cut stock flares to clean it up a bit, but the damage is done from the BW trimming.

BW's and offset/wide wheels are NOT the way to go if you plan on wheeling your jeep. I'm so disgusted with mine that I'd scrap it and start over if it weren't so reliable.

Last edited:
I put my bushwackers on when driving on the street, but take them off for the trails. They don't open up the fenders as much as it looks, they limit my uptravel by a good 2 inches in the front when they are on. My tires stick out so far that I have to run them on the steet, otherwise I would have never gotten them. I definately do not recommend them, unless you have no other choice. They do not flex, they crack when impacted, so don't expect them to take any abuse. They are good for the street, that is about the only nice thing I have to say about them.

Bushwacker carnage, when the flare was ripped off it tried to take the fender with it:
102_1722.jpg

This is why I have to run them on the street, my tires stick out just a little:
jeepaxle001.jpg

that's one good lookin rig.

Back