• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has been to the Baja 1000?

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
Friends and I are planning a trip to see/ chase the Baja 1000 this year. I’m looking for any tips/ info from anyone who has experience.

Were just now starting to talk about it but what we got so far…

It will be at least 4 people in 2 Toyota 4 runners,
My friend speaks Spanish fluently!
My friend and the others live in California, so my plan is to fly into LA Nov 17 and then we will drive to Ensenada that day and stay at a hotel for the first night then tent camp the rest I guess… Race is Nov 18- 21.

So who has gone on this adventure?

Did the hurricane leave any sand?

mac 'windy' gyvr

It was a hurricane as big as the entire Baja peninsula tho...

mac 'biggest ever! Per the media! gyvr

I raced Baja500 back in 1971 on a motorcycle (open class), Malcom Smith won that year. I got a DNF due to a busted frame. Things have probably changed a bit since then. :gee:

Well we made it back and it was a pretty successful trip.

Got into LA Wednesday night stayed at my buddies house, Thursday Morning we got everything loaded up and ready to go, we finally got on our way about noon.
Modified sticker for other guys 4 runner….

I have only crossed the border from Detroit into Canada and you get supper harassed, I was pretty surprised you don’t even stop going into Mexico and we had no questions on the way back into the US.

The drive in was pretty scenic down the coast…

So we made it in and headed to Ensenada, we reserved an AirBnb and it was pretty nice setup for the 3 of us for only 100 a night. They even had a glass of wine for us…lol

After we dropped off our stuff we jumped in a cab and headed down to the party at the start/ finish line.
Made it…

So we drank some beers, ate some food, and then walked back to our place… probably the sketchiest decision…but no issues…

So Friday we made it down back to the start line around 8Am and walked around, the bikes left at 6AM and the rest didn’t leave till 11AM.

And finally the race started! People there are crazy, running back and forth across the street as trophy trucks are hauling down the street. There were “loose” barricades and no enforcement to stay behind them!

We packed up and headed out. We stopped at the first road crossing to drink a beer and catch some cars racing through traffic.

It was getting late so we headed out to try and find a camping spot along the cost. We pretty much winged it and followed the map until it looked like the race course was closest to the coast and turned off the main road. We may have driven through some peoples back yards but it worked out!

Cars blasting down the coast line and the ocean on the other!

We found a "safe" spot and set up camp... unfortunately we had no firewood so it was a little chilly sleeping.

Didnt see anymore cars after 1AM.

So our plan was to cross the peninsula a little North of where we camped. We were told there was a dirt road that would take us across, after driving down a private drive and talking to a goat farmer who had no idea what we were talking about we decided to ask the Military guys at a checkpoint we crossed... turns out the crossing was at the checkpoint... but we found it, took us a good 2 + hours along a twisty dirt road to cross, but it was pretty cool.

So we made it across and headed back North to another road crossing to drink another beer. Note, were at like hour 28 for the trucks and 33 hours for the bikes and these guys are still going with another 150 miles or so.

After that we packed up and headed back to Ensenada got some food an and went to sleep, then headed back to LA Sunday.
And here's some other random pictures from the trip!

A single order of "one" bucket of beer!

Need some pills!

Get your last minute goodies at the border!

It was a pretty good trip for little to no planning and our first time. We plan to do it again next year!

hey, that's mel! new project JK should be out soon... I love seeing his rig.
and the Campbell's won their class. which is sweet for an ultra 4.

next up is KOH, get Luis' head out of his ass, lets make a plan, and lets order tickets. im not trying to pay $253254 for a flight to LA. lol.

Back