• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which headlights?

Another thumbs up vote for the AutoPal e-codes http://stores.ebay.com/Autopal-Lights. About $50 on ebay for two housings with bulbs. I also installed relays which brightened things up and run Napa house brand 80/100 H4 bulbs which were $12 each. With the sharp cutoff and them aimed a tad low, I never get flashed with the low beams. High beams really light up the night which I really need to deer and moose country.

I didn't catch the reference to RHD, but if you're in a locale where you drive on the left I suggest emailing the AutoPal guy to see what he has.

You get what you pay for a lot of the time with HID's. First off, that's a kit.. there-fore it's illegal.

Secondly .. quotes from Daniel Stern:

"So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb. STOP! Put away that credit card."

"An HID kit consists of HID ballasts and bulbs for "retrofitting" into a halogen headlamp. Often, these products are advertised using the name of a reputable lighting company ("Real Philips kit! Real Osram kit! Real Hella kit!") to try to give the potential buyer the illusion of legitimacy. Fact: While some of the components in these kits are sometimes manufactured by the companies mentioned, the components aren't being put to their designed or intended use. Reputable companies like Philips, Osram, Hella, etc. never endorse this kind of "retrofit" usage of their products."

"A relatively new gimmick is HID arc capsules set in an electromagnetic base so that they shift up and down or back and forth. These are being marketed as "dual beam" kits that claim to address the loss of high beam with fixed-base "retrofits" in place of dual-filament halogen bulbs like 9004, 9007, H4, and H13. A cheaper variant of this is one that uses a fixed HID bulb with a halogen bulb strapped or glued to the side of it...yikes! What you wind up with is two poorly-formed beams, at best. The reason the original equipment market has not adopted the movable-capsule designs they've been playing with since the mid 1990s is because it is impossible to control the arc position accurately so it winds up in the same position each and every time."

Thanks GhostDakota

No problem.. I'm a big lighting enthusiast (on a bunch of those forums) and I don't want people buying crap. You won't be happy with it and if you cause a wreck by blinding an oncoming driver, that'd suck. It's just another reason for an officer to write you a ticket. Most lifted XJ's have enough of those reasons already lol.

I ran the Fat Boys 'til I decided to go with the Osram Hyper White H4's. They are a couple hundred lumens brighter than the Fat Boys. The Osram's are $20/bulb. One of mine recently failed, so I have to have it replaced under warranty. Currently I am running one Fat Boy and one Hyper White and you can see a difference. Any of those bulbs should fit, my Hella E-code housings have the glare shield on them as well. PIAA is a great company, but there stuff is a little overpriced IMO.

Have you upgraded your wiring harness? I'd highly recommend that, even with factory bulbs. It's a night and day difference.

No have not upgraded wiring yet, I forget where to get that. Checked out the Osrams, which one did you get 70/65w or 85/80w?

Is that brush guard pink or do I need to adjust my monitor?

The headlights I took out say H4 on the back...

WTF do you need headlights for with a XJ that color, that sob outta light up the nite all by itself....

Hella E codes for decent price or go whole hog and get a set of CIBIE's...

97XJ Jeeper said:
No have not upgraded wiring yet, I forget where to get that. Checked out the Osrams, which one did you get 70/65w or 85/80w?

I purchased my wiring harness, bulbs, and E-code housings all through Susquehanna Motorsports at: http://www.rallylights.com

I went with the 85/80 watts for the most lumens, but again, don't run those unless you upgrade your wiring :) Factory is roughly 16 or 18 gauge, the upgraded harness they make for you is 12!

X2 on the wiring harness upgrade, although I think you'll fry the headlight switch before the wiring. The stock wiring is barely adequate for stock wattage and putting in higher wattage you'll see more voltage drop through the stock wiring. The stock wiring and bulbs on my MJ was dropping almost 1-volt which translates to about 15% power loss. Just upgrading with a set of relays was a big improvment.

Hammered said:
Arent these the "Disco Balls"... I was actually looking at getting a set of these as well.
:party:
call what you want, they are better than stock

ratman572 said:
I had some of those prism "disco-ball" housings on my chev, -they were terrible. I'm running the Hella H-4 housings on my XJ and really like the way the light is reflected. They are kind of between a spot and a flood, -just right. While the Hella housings aren't cheap, they are in my opinion one of the best investments I made.

As far as H-4 bulbs are concerned, -strictly preference. I've used the 1st gen silverstars, and they were ok. But I had an old set of PIIA extreme whites from years gone by, -and they are the ones I'm using in the XJ right now. I don't plan on ever forking out the big bucks for the PIIA bulbs ever again, -so when they burn out, -I'm trying something else.

X2 for Hella H-4

GhostDakota said:
No problem.. I'm a big lighting enthusiast (on a bunch of those forums) and I don't want people buying crap. You won't be happy with it and if you cause a wreck by blinding an oncoming driver, that'd suck. It's just another reason for an officer to write you a ticket. Most lifted XJ's have enough of those reasons already lol.

i disagree totally, with quality housings those "cheap" hids work great their brighter than almost anything ive seen and aimed properly they wont blind others but you do need a quality housing i have e-codes with a sharp defined cutoff and they draw less current than stock bulbs so no wireing upgrade is needed that being said i know pa is a tough state to get away with any mods to lighting but i doubt if iowa is the same i know florida isnt jus my 2c

kennzz05 said:
i disagree totally, with quality housings those "cheap" hids work great their brighter than almost anything ive seen and aimed properly they wont blind others but you do need a quality housing i have e-codes with a sharp defined cutoff and they draw less current than stock bulbs so no wireing upgrade is needed that being said i know pa is a tough state to get away with any mods to lighting but i doubt if iowa is the same i know florida isnt jus my 2c
I see one coma, and no periods in that.

:farmer:
Begster said:
I see one coma, and no periods in that.

andyourpointis?????? if i wanted punctuation assitance id have joined NAPPPA North American Perfectly Puncuated People Assn.:read: :rattle:

Last edited:
Back