• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount the spare

Where should the Spare be mounted?

• On the Roof

Votes: 162 35.9%
  • On the back

Votes: 218 48.3%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 71 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
dellstopjeep said:
hey okie, do u have a write-up on how to make that?

want to do that now that my roof is mangled from the rollover. cant put the spare on top anymore
Really don't have any write-up for the carrier, but I'll try.

It's just 1.5" round tubing and I did all the cuts and tube placement by eye (no measurements). It has two mounting points, one front, one rear. On each side is a leg with a square "foot" to provide lateral stability. The wheel mount is just flat stock with a nub sticking out for placement in a wheel stud hole. There is a nut welded to the flat piece with a hole drilled through the center to prevent bottoming of the hold down.

The hold down is another piece of flat with a length of all-thread through the center. There is one washer per side of the flat welded to the all-thread, which allows it to spin freely.

For the handle, I used a 2" threaded hex shaped spacer with a notch cut in the end which now had my 4-way lug wrench welded to it and the other end is screwed onto the all-thread and welded securely.

is.php

is.php

Okay, I voted 'other'. My suggestion is for a hood mount, Land-Rover style.

The main reason for this is that it shouldn't alter the centre of gravity substantially. The spare is moved inside of the wheelbase but kept below the roofline (unlike a roof mount), and doesn't create further overhang or unsprung mass outside the axles like with a bumper mount.

The cons: the stock hood may not be capable of carrying the weight without additional reinforcement; it'd be something of a visual obstruction; could potentially be dangerous in a head-on collision. If you've got hood vents, this may not be doable at all do to them weakening the hood's integrity, and there may also be longevity issues with the tire's rubber after prolonged exposure to heat escaping from them.

Jes said:
I just lay mine in the back. I use where the rear seat belts mounted as anchors for a ratchett strap...
picture.JPG

...I do carry tire plugs and an onboard air source as well. I did this because I used to have it on the back and got tired of dragging it on everything. Also, the stress from the weight and leverage started several cracks in the unibody around the hatch and where the rear bumper mounts.

Jes
That's a beautiful cage you got there.

Mount it in the back via a spare tire carrier. :peace:

casm said:
Okay, I voted 'other'. My suggestion is for a hood mount, Land-Rover style.

The main reason for this is that it shouldn't alter the centre of gravity substantially. The spare is moved inside of the wheelbase but kept below the roofline (unlike a roof mount), and doesn't create further overhang or unsprung mass outside the axles like with a bumper mount.

The cons: the stock hood may not be capable of carrying the weight without additional reinforcement; it'd be something of a visual obstruction; could potentially be dangerous in a head-on collision. If you've got hood vents, this may not be doable at all do to them weakening the hood's integrity, and there may also be longevity issues with the tire's rubber after prolonged exposure to heat escaping from them.
This has got to be the stuuupidest idea I've ever heard. Did you actually try this before you posted it? You used a doughnut spare didn't you? :rolleyes:

is.php

Okie Terry said:
Did you actually try this before you posted it?

Of course not. I was able to get someone else to do the gruntwork and take the photo proving it was blocking the view :D

Seriously, though... I did say it was going to be a visual obstruction. It's not like it's a big surprise or anything to find this out.

Here's another one to consider.

I bought a YJ/TJ rear seat and plan on replacing my rear seat with the narrower Wrangler seat. You could mount the seat off to the passenger side which would possibly leave enough space on the drivers side to accomodate the spare. I'm not replacing my rear seat for this reason(I'm leaving my spare on the hood ;) ), but it may be worth considering.

I run 33x9.50s and mount the spare in the original place. You remove the carpet, dimple (with a BIG hamber) the left inner finder (just enough to allow the tire to fit with the hatch closed), bolt a 1x1 tubing (I used alumium) about 8" long to the original angle bracket (drilling the appropriate holes) and slip the original hold down bolt through the 1x1 at the hole at the correct hieght. PS- my XJ is a 91 wuth a RE 4 1/2" lift.
Yes the tire rubs the dimple on big time articulation but has never been a problem.

It's a shame that the designer of this product didn't put a hinge and lock on this so that all you had to do was fold it down when you wanted to open the rear hatch rather than "man-handling" the entire mount, tire, & wheel off and then back on every time you wanted to get into the rear. Makes the hatch pretty useless for wives and smaller build folks!!
:doh:

mrknocke said:
If you have a hitch, you could use the hitch mounted tire carrier from Quadratec. It's cheaper than an entirely new rear bumper with a tire carrier on it, and can be taken off whenever you want.

can we stop now?

I'm currently facing the same delima. I have a '89 XJ with 31's. I carry a full-sized spare in the back (inside, laying down). It takes up a lot of room, but fits with the rear seat still functional. I want more room as well...and have been waffling between a roof carrier and a rear bumper location. I too like to be able to see to back up, and therefore favor the roof location...except for the high center of gravity that results (why the roof carrier is often called the "roll-over spare"). In the end I'll probably opt for the roof carrier and just drive carefully where off-camber situations are concerned. Besides, my "right-seat alarm...aka wife...usually won't let me get too carried away with the angles anyway!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back