• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where did my last post go!! LOCK REPLACEMENT QUESTIONS

locks are nothing pull the door panels swap it out. ing maybe harder, sure someone will chime in on that

We need your year to be able to tell you how hard the ignition cylinder is. If it's GM it's pretty simple, you have to remove the steering wheel, lockplate, and turn signal switch and that's it. Later on I think it only got easier though, in the 97+ years anyway. I think in those you're able to just go through the side of the column.

buzxj said:
Sorry forgot that part, 90 xj, 99xj, 97 zj

SORRY BUT you still never told us witch one your working on?

silent bob... all of them, you should know, you responded to my 1st post that was mysteriously deleted after my response to your post. So to verify, all my car keys were stolen from my house and I need to replace locks and ignition cylinders on a 90 xj, 99 xj, 97 zj, and an 02 toyota highlander.

yes I went back and looked at o/p but like I said door lock are a breeze, but ing cyl, can be a pain in the a$$ depending on what year and make, I had to do chrys. 300 the other day, took bout an hour

97 XJ, the doors are easy, be carefull not to force or break the plastic rod clips. Below the ign cylinder facing the floor is a small tab, inset the key, press the tab, and turn the key. At some point the tab will push up and the ign cylinder can be pulled out using the key. The tail gate lock is held in by a U shaped clip. It may be easiest to get the complete tailgate handle assembly and just swap that over instead.

If the 90 is the GM style steering column search the GM forums for info.

I have a complete set of locks and keys for sale, PM me for details.

Last edited:
The door locks are extremely easy on the '99. You need to remove the door panel and vapor barrier to access the cylinder. After that, unclip the linkage, and remove the spring clip that holds the cylinder in place.

1609769269_522b3cf240_o.jpg

For the rear hatch, you'll need to remove the interior panel to get access to the lock. It's straight forward as well...

Back