• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel spacers vs. black steelie's?

I have left it in 4wd but it seems like it puts alot of stress on the gears spiders what have you considering there is still some play.I know its not as much strees as I put on it wheeling but why add more. I don't have air tools so that is out for me. I'm just saying with the play you get from leaving it in 4wd, I like not worrying about it. Without the cap loosen the hub nutwithout taking the wheel off loosen the lugs put it up in the air and all is good no stress on anything. But i guess its just me

krelja said:
I have left it in 4wd but it seems like it puts alot of stress on the gears spiders what have you considering there is still some play.I know its not as much strees as I put on it wheeling but why add more. I don't have air tools so that is out for me. I'm just saying with the play you get from leaving it in 4wd, I like not worrying about it. Without the cap loosen the hub nutwithout taking the wheel off loosen the lugs put it up in the air and all is good no stress on anything. But i guess its just me

breaker bar between wheel studs would do you right too. I did my u-joints with both wheels in the air in 2wd, and don't remember having any problems. I just have never heard of keepin the wheel on, I guess it is like loostening the lugnuts before jacking the vehicle up.

dlarrivee said:
I drew a little picture to try to explain my theory...

The first axle has no spacer, and a stock backspacing rim.
The second axle has a spacer and a stock backspacing rim.
The thrid axle has no spacer, and a rim with less backspacing than stock.
The backspacing of the axle with the spacer, and the last axle, equate to the same result.

(Red is center-line on all rims, and green line is mounting suface on last rim)
spacerdebatets2.gif

The reason I believe the axle with the spacer is harder on the bearing is because, if you look closely you can see the distance between the mounting surface of the rim and the axle flange. I believe having this distance puts more strain on the bearing because it's creating leverage on it.

If you look at the axle that has less backspacing, you'll notice that the mounting surface on the rim mates up the axle flange just like a stock rim would.

Since the mounting surace is right up against the flange, this means that the center-section of the rim is also there to support the weight of the rim and tire. Whereas with a spacer, the center-section of the rim is pushed out and all the load is placed on the small aluminum/alloy spacer.

I've tried to highlight here what I'm trying to explain, I'm not sure if you'll know what I mean.
spacerdebate2rv3.gif

And if you still don't believe me...
spacerdebate3ea2.gif

Have a look at where the orange line hits the axle shaft and where the wheel bearing would be... The stock rim, and rim with different backspacing both hit the same spot, but the spacer hits below that spot. You're telling me that's the same thing?

SPOBI........your theory is wrong. BS is BS. Spacers are illegal in most states and should be outlawed........billet wheel adapters are not and are perfectly safe, if not installed by an idiot.
Nice drawings though.

Last edited:
XJEEPER said:
SPOBI........your theory is wrong. BS is BS. Spacers are illegal in most states and should be outlawed........billet wheel adapters are not and are perfectly safe, if not installed by an idiot.
Nice drawings though.
dear Lord, this just keeps trucking on!hastahastahastahastahasta

dlarrivee said:
I drew a little picture to try to explain my theory..

I was thinking the same thing, kind of.

Yes, less backspacing puts more stress on the wheel bearing than stock wheels.

But spacing stock wheels puts more stress on the wheel bearing than a rim with less backspacing.

That's what was in my mind.

XJEEPER said:
Nice drawings though.
Bs is bs spacers are just as bad as billet wheel adapters. Well not quite as bad but physics voodoo or whaterver the more breaks in a mounting sequence the weaker the point of load. More boliting equals more weak spots. Wheel adapters are illegal in tch in scca around here. there is probably somthing to that. As for weight beteen factory wheels and steelies, do not forget to add the weight of the adapter! I think the turbines look different, just a little too general lee for me, but that is me

Spacers do not exert any more load on a bearing than a wheel with a higher offset. It is exactly the same concept. Think about it. Your knuckle ends where it ends. Whether you use spacers, or less backspacing, your extending the load on your hubs...

Ten spokes are awesome!!! Anyone have pics of them painted or powdercoated?

I went from black steelies (which everyone and their brother has) with a 4" BS to stock XJ turbine wheels + a 1.5" spacer (= 3.75" BS) because my high steer setup rubbed the tire.

Going through this right now with my TREs and long arms. I have used spacers in the past before and I did not notice and premature wear on unit bearings either. As long as they are torqued down well with loctite and locknuts there will be no problem with loosening either.

NCCherokee...I get your point but its never too late to reply to posts in my opinion. The info is still relavant and helps to add to the depth of knowledge someone may come across in the futrue when searching. Just my .02

I'm just busting balls, but to be fair no relevant info was added with that post. The entire thread consisted of people making the argument that spacers and backspaced wheels equally contributed to additional loads on the bearings.

ah, I see. Didnt read the entire post. Guess I would have probably got that if I had then .lol

Going through this right now with my TREs and long arms. I have used spacers in the past before and I did not notice and premature wear on unit bearings either. As long as they are torqued down well with loctite and locknuts there will be no problem with loosening either.

NCCherokee...I get your point but its never too late to reply to posts in my opinion. The info is still relavant and helps to add to the depth of knowledge someone may come across in the futrue when searching. Just my .02

I clicked on this post to comment, and saw that I had already been there done that. I sold that Jeep a couple years ago, but had zero problems with the spacers and would run them again.

Back