• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats wrong with my front axle? (Picture included)

My axle shaft itself is sitting just above center of my axle tube, I presume its a bent C but it drives normal so ill worry about mine if it ever gets worse

So many vehicles I see come in with that retainer and cotter pin missing. Its like some mechanics just dont think its important or forget all together. With or without it I always use loctite.

They were on there, its the only reason it didn't come off further. However, when torqued properly, that thing does not sit tight up against the nut due to the location of the hole where the cotter pin goes through.

Not to be a debbie downer but all hub units Ive changed had a washer under the nut. This kept the nut engaged with the sheet metal retainer. Had a buddy go through 3 hub units not realizing the previous owner had lost the washer when he replaced the unit before selling to my buddy. Everything was torqued properly but the nut was bottomed out before applying the proper preload on the unit bearing.

Not to be a debbie downer but all hub units Ive changed had a washer under the nut. This kept the nut engaged with the sheet metal retainer. Had a buddy go through 3 hub units not realizing the previous owner had lost the washer when he replaced the unit before selling to my buddy. Everything was torqued properly but the nut was bottomed out before applying the proper preload on the unit bearing.

This,
...in addition to what the post above yours says regarding the use of a spring washer, locking tab and a split pin on the top of the nut. The use of all pieces are important to applying proper torque to the bearings and maintaining it through out the life of the unit bearings or until someone loosens it.

My solution: big hammer until its straight....
in actuality, i would first go check the tubes with a straight edge

Back