• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was your biggest mod mistake

GSequoia said:
No, he's gonna widen the 30 and use 44 outers...

Right Opie?

Nope, im going to make a custom full floating Ford 9 with a Chrisman differential, and 14 bolt outers. Run 40 spline shafts in a True Hi 9 (hogged for Chrisman gears) and run 40 spline drive flanges...

of course this will be 5 on 4.5 with the D35 drums I have layin in the side yard.

RisingSun said:
What is this the IDIOT line?!? ......................................................................... well let me get in line! I got the bright idea of having a friend build me a reverse cowl to draw the heat from under the hood. Cut a rectangular hole right in the middle of the hood with a plasma cutter from underneath, and have molten metal chunks in my windshield and tears up my windshield wipers when it rains! (Luckily I live in sunny warm So. Cal) Wait I'm not finished after he soberred up realized a reverse cowl won't work to well, I now have a rivetted floor vent over the hole (I know its ghetto, but it looks a lot better then some stupid hole!!)

Funny thing is my engine runs about 5* cooler with the ventilation!! Hey at least it works!

Scott Suyeto

that was the funniest shit i read in a while. thanks for the laughs. :D

addction said:
No, read again, I'm installing a 60 ditching the 44. The 44 was a waste of time & money.
You read agiain. I was talking about opie.

...using blocks in the rear, and thinking I was a bamf going up a trail with huge rocks. I was doin' fine til ehm...a rock smashed my left block into a few pieces resulting in the other block to flop out and being stuck on a trail with a 3" gap between my axle and the leaf...

After today, It's gotta be the Rusty's steering system. JUNK!!!! Allways loosens up and today I bent it somehow. It's unbelieveable that I'm getting these kind of results with the amount of money that thing cost me.

Hmmm....
Instead of bedlinering the interior, I used cheap roofing tar.
Luckily, it got demolished a short time after, solving that problem.
Next time, I'll be sure to use high dollar roofing tar instead. ;)

It was glossy at first. Then dirt and dust stuck to it. Then shoeprints. And it never really dried so it was getting on everything. Having it get demolished was bittersweet. So, who's next.

And how do I delete posts?

i made my tow brackets out of 3/16. they didnt reinforce the unibody all that well.

Spray painting my jeep instead of doing it the right way. The finished look was nothing how I wanted it to look like, and it's chipping in spots, despite my best efforts to prevent that.

some say anything Quadratec, but i have had a good experience with the wheels i ordered. 36 bucks each wasnt too bad for soft 8's

Mine was starting on a FJ40 on a Friday night with a friend to "just fix rust". Add beer and my wife came to the barn in the morning and said "what happened?" My reply was "I accidentally disassembled it". Well 2 1/2 years later it was done. Poorly I might add. I can't say all the mistakes I made but:

9" rear
Short rear drive shaft
Spring over
Retained Birfields
manual steering 36" bias ply swampers

etc.

Matt

Back