• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was your biggest mod mistake

still a newb, when I traded my 96 cherokee, and the fact that I traded it with a RE 4.5lift, and I only got $1500 for it. should have kept it for that, but I traded it for my 96GMC pickup (tow rig),

goodburbon said:
A lot of headache......

I forgot about blowing the fire on my new windshield when I cut the hood vent holes too. Yet another one this thread could have saved me.
damnit brandon even you should have known better

GSequoia said:
I sure hope nobody makes short AAL's anymore.
Rubicon Express does. They're more of a 'rear flex elimination kit' than a suspension lift. That's definitely up there on my list of regrets.

Another regret is buying my Jeep in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I love my XJ, but in hindsight I would have been much better off had I saved some more money and bought a nicer Jeep, instead of one that needed a new clutch, exhaust, et cetera.

But I think the biggest mistake has been paying people to do work on my Jeep that I could have done myself.

to do the vents on my hood, we used a grinder and we pulled he hood off he Jeep first...just kinda made sense to have it an easily accessible location instead of having to climb on stuff to reach it... :D

But I'll add trusting Rocky Road Outfitters claim that their new BPEs are "universal". They're supposed to fit XJs and YJs, and I think even TJs, but they definitely do not fit XJs...Had XJJohnnie running to the store to get a $15 shock just so we could use the bar pin in it after me, him and Karstic cut the original bar pin out of my shock since we were eliminating them and they couldn't sell me something that wouldn't work...right? That was after me and XJMatt had to wrestle with my leafs for 6hrs to install the RRO shackles. Sure, the shackels are beefy, and look like they'll outlast my Jeep, but the fit was a bit rough...

BlackSport96 said:
That was after me and XJMatt had to wrestle with my leafs for 6hrs to install the RRO shackles. Sure, the shackels are beefy, and look like they'll outlast my Jeep, but the fit was a bit rough...
pretty sure the id on mine was a bit small, that and one of the bolt holes wasnt even close to big enough

anything rustys offroad except for his diff skid... my trac bar :puke: my lift :puke: and his service/shipping :puke:

I got a 3" lift with 3" coils and 3.5" leafs ended up being barely 3 in the front and 4 in the back...stupid rake

ordered a set of lcas got one havent gottin my other one and looks like im SOL

my jks discos were just jamned in a box

and did I mention his tracbar sucks?:smsoap::smsoap:

We couldn't even re-drill the holes or modify the BPEs enough to make them fit.

Oh, and another one....
Attaching the lightbar to the stock roof rack bar with the clamps they use to hold canopy's to truck beds, and then having it come off the bar and slide to the back of the roof, doing 50 KMH while a guy on a streetbike behind nearly shit his pants when he saw it sliding on the roof, luckily the second rack bar kept it from completely falling.
The lightbar now sits in the garage...:D

I've got his tow hooks and yeah they bent, but I think any set of tow hooks mounted to a bracket instead of something solid like, a frame, would...I had good experiences with his customer service. Except that I had to call them and ask where the hooks were. Got brackets but no hooks. However after my phone call, I had hooks at my doorstep within 3 days.

Ramsey said:
damnit brandon even you should have known better

I was using a grinder and it was just a few sparks, didn't hurt when they hit me so I didn't figure on them melting into the windshield. Must be laminated with something on the OUTSIDE too!

rustys track bar.

coustmer service sucks. IMO rusty sucks.

not going big enough the first time..(started out at only 3")

ordering from quadratec. (good service, WAYYY over priced, $800 for a skyjacker lift......me sad)

buying stuff just to buy it. wait till you know what you REALLY want. go on a few wheelin' trips and see what other ppl have and if u like it or not. and dont buy from rustys.

o and getting a 2001 instid of something '99 and down ..... (stupid LP D30, hasnt failed me yet just would have been nice to get a little stronger axle from the factory. atleast i got the 29sp 8.28)

AALs and not going 5.5 to start with.

I was saved from most other things I would have regretted by finding NAXJA while researching whether or not to buy an XJ.

The AAL was an unfortunate result of my cheapness overcoming common sense!

trimmin fenders in preperation of running 33's on 4.5" lift, then decidin to go back to 2"BB and 30's

Not getting 2 sets of rear TJ flares.
When I first put on the front ones I didn't mind the look to bad, but the longer they're on there the more I don't like them..

Back