• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Re: What was done to YOUR rig today MECHANICALY????

I installed the 784 injectors that I bought awhile back yesterday, also got some gas from the fuel rail to spill on my face... fun.

yesterday--- i changed the belt. it had 2 cheap advance auto parts belts on previously and both squeeked so i went with a gates from oreillys and so far so good!!

i popped the hood and then decided I really don't want to deal with it. I've got to figure out why all of my electrical gets weak every time the AC compressor kicks on. It's like the entire truck goes through a brown out for a split second. Even the radio shuts off for a second. GRRR....

Last edited:

I put my new spicer hubs on and changed the front diff fluid.

The Jeep didn't like the 20 degree weather this morning, and the remote starter is being a wuss. Kept stalling out coming to a stop sign, even stalled during a turn and didn't want to restart. Held up traffic, that was embarassing. And now my rear defrosters aren't working. Grr. Going to have to figure that out now.

Anyone ever use HEET?

Cold is messing with the Jeep, or so I thought. Now its getting hard to start and rough idle at the stoplights. Bought a fuel filter, will install it when the sun is out and I can feel my fingers. Also working on getting some 703's to swap in. Why replace when you can upgrade, lol

-Eric

Yes, heet works great..... Stabil also works well, I use it in all my engines

Rumor has it that it has gotten cold in these here parts lately!

Changed the plugs, rotor, cap and air filter in my 87. Found a funky electrical connection on one injector, this week, took it for a test drive today. One interesting note, it was driven the last 18 months or so with two different single platinum tip brands of spark plugs. 2 were Autolite and 4 were Bosch. The Bosch still looked brand new-clean, the Autolites had some carbon fouling, front two cylinders. The Cap and rotor were on their last legs, wires were still good, not very old yet. Idle has dropped from 750 to 550 for as yet unknown reasons.

89 is acting like it is ready for another Dex III transfusion, and the leak must have stopped, as it is still too full (hot) since I last brought the level back up, 2500 miles or so ago. Reverse still does not like the cold weather. It got a new tire last week and replaced the fuel pressure regulator about week ago which solved some rough idle problems...it was leaking fuel into the vacuum line!

I replaced the fuel filter, seems to have helped out some. Got a set of 703s on their way, should be here sometime mid next week. Really looking forward to that swap. Still need to install that steering dampner I got from Swamprat.

-Eric

Well I finally did something to them.....

On my 89 Rig I did the oil change, it has only been 8,000 miles since the last one..oops and I also put in the new front drive shaft finally. And noticed in the little time I have driven it with no front DS the vent hose off the front diff was hitting the pinion yoke and put a hole in the hose. Oh well its just a rubber hose, nothing special, and will get it from the parts store tomorrow.

On my 89 DD I also did an oil change. The oil pressure would go down(to like 10psi) when i was accelerating but back up when at idle. Well I guess it didn't like the fact that I hadn't changed the oil in that for about 10,000 miles.. bigger oops..lol All works great now.

Oh and just renewed my membership......lol

So I've got an issue with my 231 trying to go 4wd randomly on the street. According to the responses on my oem chapter thread, it's a broken lock ring on the main shaft. Does anyone know if it's the same lock ring for normal and sye applications? Furthermore, anybody know where to get them?

So I've got an issue with my 231 trying to go 4wd randomly on the street. According to the responses on my oem chapter thread, it's a broken lock ring on the main shaft. Does anyone know if it's the same lock ring for normal and sye applications? Furthermore, anybody know where to get them?

Rebuild kit?

Well I thought about that but I don't think it needs a rebuild and it would suck to spend that much money for a few $1 lock rings.

Did you call austin drivetrain to see if they had the part? (I think they are still called that...)

You also need to post a pic of my wifes new jeep :D

True, but a rebuild would never hurt. (then again, I've never priced a rebuild kit)

Well, I found out today that a "small parts kit" is all the things that are no longer included in the rebuild kits now anyway.....one of those things being the lock ring. Around $28 shipped to my house.

Scooter, you got married? How will I post a pic of her jeep? I has a confused.

Did the 703 injector swap today. Took all of 10 minutes to do and so far it seems to have cured the stutter under load and smoothed out the idle a bit. About to go drive it around and see how it does. Hopefully between this and the cowl snorkle I got planned will help the mpg's a little.

-Eric

That's the last rebuild I'm giving you. You stay in 2wd you sunofabitch.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324775398.875957.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324775431.197184.jpg

Built a new rig from the ground up. started with the tub, installed the dash, windshield and front clip. Now I've got the battery charging and it's ready for tomorrow morning!

Back