• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Fixed the rust on two of my jeeps Wednesday. Loctite rust neutralizer-primer. Awesome stuff. Charged a dead battery (left the key in one over night) and got it running again.

Front driveshaft is out getting shortened
Alignment #2 this weeekend
New switch panel arrives tomorrow so I can get the compressor going for the lockers

I think next weekend may be a shakedown run

Front driveshaft is out getting shortened
Alignment #2 this weeekend
New switch panel arrives tomorrow so I can get the compressor going for the lockers

I think next weekend may be a shakedown run
sounds like a lot progress. curious, why shorten front DS?

sounds like a lot progress. curious, why shorten front DS?

Longer pinion on the D44 ;)

Stock shaft wouldn't fit even fully compressed.

Last pic of it

exBnYpc.jpg

It went to a family friend so I'm sure I'll get to see it and drive it again.

No more death wobble!!!

Gave my 87 Wagoneer a severe test drive on the freeway, across big pot holes in 35 mph wind gusts, and she drove great:party:

No more death wobble. Got her up to 65 (Too much traffic to go higher), ran about 6-7 miles, so I feel safe now on long cross town drives with my girl :)

what did you do to get rid of the DW?

First problem was I tried to reuse what turned out to be a bent internally cast aluminum wheel/tire assy. 1/4 " wobble side to side at the rim edge showed up on a spin balance. It was damaged on the 89 when it got totaled/rear ended and rolled on the freeway in Nov :bawl:.

But before I discovered it, we replaced the tie rods ends, drag link, track bar, steering stabilizer (Which had been removed when the bushings fell out and I found it rattling around weeks earlier)...steering parts (Pitman arm and Ball joints were still OK), and one bad lower control arm was changed.

Then we botched the toe in adjustment bad and the DW was horrendous at even at 5 mph, LOL (not just at 48 mph). She was jumping and hoping all over the place at 5 mph. We had seriously botched the tow in, somehow we had it a 3"s of tow in. :eyes:

Figured out the botched measurement on tow in and fixed it, now at 1/8" and the tire balance test showed the bent rim. Fixed both (replaced the rim), and that pretty much fixed it up to 35-40 mph (did not test any higher speeds yet, at that time).

But I was supper picky at that point and replaced the bad front shocks that made her ride a lot better on bumpy roads. One shock had real serious issues.
Adjusted the tire pressure down a little and she steers herself now, hands free on a straight road at 60 mph :)

The original 48 mph DW was no doubt mostly caused by the bent tire rim, with some help from a bad bushing on the lower control arm and not having a steering stabilizer on her anymore!!!

The other parts were ready to go, time to replace them, but I doubt they were the cause of the DW. A 1/4 bent rim at 45 mph is not good!!!! The crazy thing was the tire was OK, it is on the jeep still, but the rim looked perfect, unscathed by the accident, no contact marks, so I have no idea how it got bent with out any signs of an impact on the rim???? Only way we detected it was bent was using a slow spin on a tire balancer.

During the servicing, the wild bucking horse ride at 5 mph, was the 3" toe-in fork up, LOL, on top of the bent tire rim.

So if I ever want to build a rodeo ride bucking jeep for rodeo fans, :laugh: I now know how to it, LMAO. It was literally hoping up and down and side to side, nearly loosing road contact at just 5 mph to compensate for the sever toe in.

nice man! I just recently got rid of my DW that i've had for like 3 years. Took the old ZJ draglink/tie rod system and replaced with another one. It still had a little wobble in it, so I went and got it aligned at a shop, and that fixed it for good.

It's weird driving it now and expecting it to start to wobble and it doesnt lol

Instelled my new driveshaft, got the arb compressor mounted and the wiring done

Attempted to swap my rear bumpstops...broke 3/4 bolts. Time to buy taps.

Next weekend I'm cutting off the rear truss and installing the parking brakes, flipping the calipers, etc.

Then probably an sye

Finished replacing the fuel lines on my diesel. Biodiesel blends ate up the old OEM rubber lines, turned them to mush. Got it primed and running again.

My 87 Wagoneer DD gave me a scare today. First the noisy engine lifter went silent (good), the brake noise went silent (good), then the CTS gauge suddenly read 255 F steady (WTF?) instead of the usual 80 F (has not worked right for years, I just add 100 F the dash reading LOL). And then my electric windows failed (Now WTF?). When I got home I put the shifter in Park, and suddenly my CTS gauge read normal at 80 F again and the electric windows worked again, LMAO. tried to get the problem to recure, but no joy. No doubt the window and CTS gauge will fail again with the window down in the pouring rain next time.

Only in a jeep!!!!

Last edited:
Looks good

Those are the Highbeam Off-road lights. They're alot better than stock, I like them, but not as much as Trucklights that I have in my dd and had in the Comanche. I need to get some night time shots...

Cut the truss off the 8.8

Installed new parking brakes

Tomorrow I re install the rear axle and shackle relocators

Focused my attention back on the rear this weekend. Pulled the axle out, cut off the truss, did a caliper flip, installed parking brakes and a wizard flip kit. Then setup new brake lines and installed hd off road shackle relocators.

Sye showed up yesterday

I think this weekend I can get everything done, then order a new shaft

Back