• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Rolled around in the dirt and put on a new spindle and wheel hub. Need 8 lug adapters to dump the iroks and put on my krawlers

20161014_165322_zpsd1zirisf.jpg

20161014_190544_zpsxdonpdby.jpg

Ah, that rings a bell now. My cousin did that to one of his Miatas. It helped, but he still sold it a couple weeks later.

I cranked it over today, and added more MMO to soak the piston rings a second night.

All the parts arrived for the 87 gas tank assy replacement. New tank, new Bosch pump, used good straps, J hooks/nuts, wiring-flange level sensor assy (looks new, but is used), new hoses and used but good vent valves/grommets. Just need some clamps, and local vent hose from the Zone, pre-assemble the pump / assy and install in the tank, then mount the tank

Wondering if the internal vent valve seals are any good? Not sure how to test them???

My 85 diesel died Friday :( :tears: while charging the battery, Hood needs sanding (rusting), priming and painting.

Gas tank (Diesel) sounds empty :eek:(good news if true), but level sensor says just over 1/2 full.

Cut the old truss off the rubi 44

4500BD74-E8E7-4260-B286-388C1A0E580E_zpsi147tbqo.jpg

Mine popped the motor yesterday. Was on bw8 doing 70 driving to my friends shop for a bbq. Was running fine, good oil pressure, coolant temp right at 200. Motor made a puff sound then no power and a knocking sound. Sigh.

Limped it off the freeway and it died as soon as I got to the surface streets. Pushed it into a parking lot and called my wife to bring the tahoe to flat tow it home.

So damn frustrated!

Replaced the pads and rotors on on all 4 corners of mine. No more rattling noises and noisy braking!

Mine popped the motor yesterday. Was on bw8 doing 70 driving to my friends shop for a bbq. Was running fine, good oil pressure, coolant temp right at 200. Motor made a puff sound then no power and a knocking sound. Sigh.

Limped it off the freeway and it died as soon as I got to the surface streets. Pushed it into a parking lot and called my wife to bring the tahoe to flat tow it home.

So damn frustrated!

Be sure to pull the drive shaft before towing it!! IIRC there is no safe way to tow a 4x4 on either axle with out dropping the drive shaft!!!

So damn frustrated!

Depending on what the knock sound is, it could just be the MAP sensor vacuum line blew out / off of the throttle body or.....But the poof knock sounds like a bad sign. I have had mine back fire and puke and die when the vac line to the MAP blew off the Throttle body. Sounded real pad.....

Good luck.

Replaced the pads and rotors on on all 4 corners of mine. No more rattling noises and noisy braking!

Reminds me I need to order new backing plates and shoes for the 8.8, plus an e brake cable kit. P.O. removed all the e brake hardware for some reason.

I may yank it back out and cut off the huge truss, do the caliper flip and redo the brake lines while I'm at it

Depending on what the knock sound is, it could just be the MAP sensor vacuum line blew out / off of the throttle body or.....But the poof knock sounds like a bad sign. I have had mine back fire and puke and die when the vac line to the MAP blew off the Throttle body. Sounded real pad.....

Good luck.
We flat towed it so I just put it in neutral.

I'll check the map hose. If thats the culprit I'd be super happy but I doubt it based on the no coolant in the system and it hasn't been leaking. It sprayed out maybe a half gallon when I popped the cap and took about 2.5 gal to fill back up.

We flat towed it so I just put it in neutral.

I'll check the map hose. If thats the culprit I'd be super happy but I doubt it based on the no coolant in the system and it hasn't been leaking. It sprayed out maybe a half gallon when I popped the cap and took about 2.5 gal to fill back up.

That could be good news on the coolant then. It could have been pinging-knock from getting too hot if it was the radiator or a bad hose coolant leak, and not a head gasket coolant leak. I have had 4.0's do that and survive with no problems. Still driving one as a DD 8 years later. Plastic tank on the side blew. Just replaced the radiator with a 3 row all metal all brass Rad. So it may not be the MAP sensor....Vac hose.

I had to move a dead 87 4x4, 3 months ago and they told me that even in 2wd, you should NOT risk towing it with out removing the drive shaft to the axle that is on the ground still. Something about the Transfer case and guts of the transmission that is still connected in neutral.

That could be good news on the coolant then. It could have been pinging-knock from getting too hot if it was the radiator or a bad hose coolant leak, and not a head gasket coolant leak. I have had 4.0's do that and survive with no problems. Still driving one as a DD 8 years later. Plastic tank on the side blew. Just replaced the radiator with a 3 row all metal all brass Rad. So it may not be the MAP sensor....Vac hose.

I had to move a dead 87 4x4, 3 months ago and they told me that even in 2wd, you should NOT risk towing it with out removing the drive shaft to the axle that is on the ground still. Something about the Transfer case and guts of the transmission that is still connected in neutral.
yea you are correct when towing on a 2wheel dolly. that is the safest way, however if you have the trans in neutral and the tcase in neutral both axles can/will spin independently of each other. the only reason you would want to pull the driveshaft is so that miles dont clock up on the odometer. it in neutral is perfectly safe. wreckers pull RWD vehicles by the front wheels all the time by just putting the trans in neutral.

however i was just flattowing with a strap on the tahoe running to the d rings on my front bumper. all 4 wheels on the ground and i was in the jeep steering/braking.

i checked the map sensor and it all looks fine under the hood. i started it and drove it up into the driveway from teh street. took about 1/4 throttle to keep it running and over half throttle to get it up the driveway. the blowing sound was still there and it smelled like a ton of unburnt fuel but the knocking sound was not present. hoping its just the head gasket.

Ecomike we flat tow Jeeps a lot. Just both Tranny and Transfer case in Neutral. That's a pretty cool advantage Jeeps have ;)

Interesting.

Thanks, but a few of the old timers on the OEM tech forum said it could be rough on or even possibly damage the transfer case, even with just one end on the ground, even when both are in neutral. They made it sound like it was a real good idea to pull the drive shaft to any end that stays on the ground, or both for a flat tow. No one in that post said it was OK :( for the transfer case on a 4WD.

I had asked them because I had to tow the white 4x4 about 12 weeks ago from my shop to my house, and ended up renting a full uhaul trailer just to play it safe (cost about $100). It was a real pita getting it on the trailer with no working fuel pump and no wench to say the least.

The 2WDs in Neutral, AW4s seem to be OK with rear tires on the ground being towed based on my daughters 89 that was dragged off by idiots from a parking lot....8 years ago. But they busted the transmission linkage getting it into neutral. AHs!!!

Interesting.

Thanks, but a few of the old timers on the OEM tech forum said it could be rough on or even possibly damage the transfer case, even with just one end on the ground, even when both are in neutral. They made it sound like it was a real good idea to pull the drive shaft to any end that stays on the ground, or both for a flat tow. No one in that post said it was OK :( for the transfer case on a 4WD.

I had asked them because I had to tow the white 4x4 about 12 weeks ago from my shop to my house, and ended up renting a full uhaul trailer just to play it safe (cost about $100). It was a real pita getting it on the trailer with no working fuel pump and no wench to say the least.

The 2WDs in Neutral, AW4s seem to be OK with rear tires on the ground being towed based on my daughters 89 that was dragged off by idiots from a parking lot....8 years ago. But they busted the transmission linkage getting it into neutral. AHs!!!

I doubt there is any inherent issue towing in neutral. The issue arises when the jeep hits a bump and bounces the shifter out of neutral at 70mph.

the safest way is definitely removing the driveshaft.

but ive towed a bunch of stuff over the years in various configs and tcase and trans in neutral have always been fine.

It has arrived

Back