• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Seems like my oil leaks got worse

Or my new garage floor is sealed

Fighting the wheel bearings on the second side of this pos. Previous owner didn't believe in maintenance...

20161001_120625_zpsd1smtvbf.jpg

20161001_133657_zpsek5xhpgx.jpg

That tie rod looks sketchy

That is some weird looking stuff.

I just scored a nice inventory of new Renix parts off Ebay today for $7-$8 a part, TPS sensors, IAC valves and MAP sensors :)

There are more those came from!!!! But they may not last.

Is that some kind of seriously modified power steering there where the stabilizer shock use to go????? It has a power steering hose on a hydraulic ram where the shock usually goes???

Is that some kind of seriously modified power steering there where the stabilizer shock use to go????? It has a power steering hose on a hydraulic ram where the shock usually goes???

Yeah it's a home grown full hydraulic steering set up on a jeep I picked up. So far everything is pretty sketchy on this thing. As pointed out, the tie rod is made out of like 7 pieces...

Yeah it's a home grown full hydraulic steering set up on a jeep I picked up. So far everything is pretty sketchy on this thing. As pointed out, the tie rod is made out of like 7 pieces...

Reminds me of Forklift hydraulics.

Yeah I agree with it sketchy.

I fought with the sound deadner trying to get it out and made a huge mess. Plan is to bed line interior so it has to go, just not sure how. Threw some new floor mats on top of it for now, also stitched on a steering wheel cover.

Shoulder is getting close enough to working to start addressing some other issues now. Did drive it today for two hours straight, loads of it stop and go without a hitch so I am pleased as a peach. Oil pressure is up now too after the last oil change, previous change had a bit of seafoam in it i think that caused the low normal readings. Now she is close to 20psi at warm idle, if the gauge is right.

been using mine as a runabout around town to try and smooth out any other issues that pop up before i haul it out to hidden falls and wheel the piss out of it.

so far so good!

Ordered the truss for the front of mine

TNT for my rubi 44

Finally dropped the gas tank (that was real pain too, had to hand hack saw the straps off) on the 87 White 4x4.

Found used, good straps and bolts, anti-rollover-vent valves, and a good working Renix fuel level sensor-steel tube-flange-wire assy (No pump) and ordered a new tank from Spectrum on Amazon delivered for about $75 (Tin/lead coated outside), and ordered the 2 fill hoses, ordering the inline fuel filter today. I already have 3 brand new Bosch Renix fuel pumps I got on a close out sale a while back from rock auto :)

The remains in this tank is all black and gooey inside, what ever it is in that tank it dissolves/melts rubber (the gas/fuel hoses did not dissolve as far as I can tell). The inside rubber parts on the rubber vent grommets and the fuel pump rubber parts looked like melted asphalt, or liquid electrical tape in a bottle.

Either the PO got some really bad gas, or added way too much acetone (used in fingernail polish remover to dissolve paint), or some POS person dumped something in the tank fill line when it was parked at my shop outdoors, something like brake fluid, or paint stripper...:shiver:

I will now need to watch the injectors closely and the fuel lines and QC seals in the early days of running it again.

Hacked the front fender up today an got rid of those ugly holes, a little primer and some rustoleum till we get some other bodywork squared away and monsta line it. Gonna be ugly a while at this rate

Front truss is on its way

Finally got my son's 96 Ford Taurus all fixed, passed a 1 hour test drive last week and passed the emissions inspection today. No check engine light. My son is moving to China shortly for a year to teach English and finish learning Chinese fluently (his second major was Chinese) and take a break from College before tackling a master's degree. So he will not need the car, and I already have spare jeeps and vehicles with my Daughter in Detorit now, so I don't need it either.

I may have to get my Masters before he becomes officially smarter then me LOL. Can't have that, LMAO.

Any way I have the Ford up for sale now on Craigs list if you all know anyone that is interested in a running, stickered, working 96 Ford that is mild on gas and still actually running (LOL, I hear that FORD=Found On the Road Dead). I have about $1400 in new parts invested in it the last 12 months while I worked on it as round to it project. This one has the all cast iron Vulcan 3.0 engine in it, that will blow the doors off anything I ever use to own, or own. 196,000 miles.

We are asking $1600 for it. I have the manuals, including the Transmission manual on it too and about $200 in spare parts.

Began the MMO GM TSB fix for massive oil consumption (presumably stuck piston rings) using MMO in what to me is a novel approach to cleaning and freeing up stuck piston rings and stopping rapid oil consumption on a 2001 Saturn. It is using about a quart of 20-W50 oil every 300 miles recently, but has no other issues.

You pull the spark plugs, and add about a Tbsp of MMO to the top of the piston through the spark plug hole, then let it sit for 24 hours ( I am going to do it twice, 2 days) and then with paper towels over the spark plug holes (Plugs still removed) you crank the engine. That throws out any MMO still on top of the top of the piston onto the paper towels. Then reinstall the spark plugs and run the engine.

GM claims in a TSB that this fixes stuck ring compression ring, high oil consumption issues with Saturn engines.

If this helps at all, I plan to do this to my 87 Wagoneer, XJ, and I also plan to pull the valve cover and do it to the top of the hydraulic lifters and see if that gets rid of the last of the lifter tick noise.

I may try it before I replace the head...and worn rockers, pivots and rods to decide if I need to replace the lifters when I swap heads.

Back