• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What made you buy/build an XJ?

i was out in iraq and my old man called me and told me that he was getting rid of old blue (my 88) and asked if i wanted her. well this was like a month into 7 out in the sand box, i was bored and was making butt loads money.

i started researching the history, the pro the cons anything and everything about the XJ. big dreams of a 4 in lift and 33s yadda yadda

i come home and to get the little blue jeep that could (and does) and my dad had it painted, hand polished the rims, the interior was all clean, i was blown away. there was no way i could abuse this beautiful jeep.

she came home with me and after about 2 months the itch came back. this is where i found my 99 and it had been lifted and geared and was pretty much ready to roll.
in went a locker in the front because i wanted to go farther. then new rubber, cromos in the nose and then the full width came.......................it goes on and on......

my XJ love all comes from a little blue jeep my dad gave me.

Dude, that story rocked. :clap:

I bought a red '91 2DR Sport from the PX when I was stationed in Germany and drove it all over Europe. It had only 2WD but even then it was very capable in all conditions. I sold it when I got back to the 'States (I live in Miami and it didn't have AC), but never stopped thinking of how much I loved that Jeep.

A year ago I was driving in rain near Atlanta when my Saturn VUE hydroplaned and spun into the rail. Totaled. I did a lot of searching and put the insurance check toward my '99. It had only 72000 miles on it. That owner had already installed a 3.5" lift and SYE, so there was very little to do to have a whole lot of fun.

This XJ is loaded with almost every available factory option (except ABS) and runs like a champ. I will never willingly sell this vehicle.

Dude, that story rocked. :clap:

thanks man.

Old Blue had been my dads for like 10 yrs. we towed it behind our RV all over the country. he got it used from some kid who beat on it.

203k miles and she is still pickin em up and puttin em down

i started with a lifted z71 when i was 16 and knew where all the mud holes and cotton fields were and loved hitting them up. went through lots of cv axles and tie rod ends. so decided i wanted a solid axle jeep. and that lasted not long so here i am 17 looking for a jeep

so i still had my truck but found my uncle had an 87 xj that had been sitting for 10 years and did run. so i bought it up for next to nothing and towed it to my house.
put a new fuel pump in and battery and changed the fluids. put some Q buckshots on it and hacked the fenders up for its maiden voyage to woolys.

IMG_1859.jpg

then came the mods to this
IMG_0046.jpg

then the great fire
oldjeepburning.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

sold those wheels and tires and lift to fund this jeep.
DSC01456-1.jpg

and today ended up as this.
DSCF1437.jpg

DSCF1435.jpg

i sold the truck and bought another stock xj to drive everyday turned into a jeep on 32s

so all in all i chose the xj cause there millions of them out there. there easy to work on. and there are TONS of aftermarket parts for them... i will always own an xj. no matter what.

The first jeep I was ever exposed to was a '72 commando (bull nose). My dad had it for about 3 months and never touched it then sold it.

When Iw as a junior in high school I came across a CJ-3B. Put some money down on it and began to actually work on it...guy sold it from under me...thankfully I got my deposit back.

After my 1st year of college I went to wrk full time and quit school. (big mistake) And sold my then DD honda accord as I lived close enough to ride my bike to work.

After 6 mos or so of doing that my sister's boyfriend's dad was selling an '85 XJ. 4 bngr with a 1bbl carb, 2wd. It had been sumerged in a lake and after that suffered multiple small electrical fires. I don't know why but I had to have it. So I forked over WAY too much for it and began working (learning how) on it. I drove it for nearly 2 years as a DD. I couldn't drive it more than 10 miles or so or it would overheat. It had no heat or AC and every time i pushed the clutch I'd lose my gauges and at night the headlights would also go out.
Then I bought a new dakota in '98. Parked the XJ where it sat for another 2 years and finally after deciding I wasn't going to mess with it I sold it...all the while cranking it up once a week to move it around.

In 2000 I got into a brand new '99 (leftover) sport 4 dr, 2wd 4.0L 5 speed. LOVED it. Put a 4' lift and 31's on it and wheeled the wee out of it even with only 2wd. Took it on a trip to St Louis and had massive DW problems all the way there...which is where I put the 31's on it and thanks to Swamp's 4x4 in St Louis the taught me what a front end alignment was ( I was REAL green to working on my own stuff still). Kept it for another couple year and brought a TJ home for a friend and to have an actual 4x4.

Got rid of the '99 and then when my first son was born in '02 sold the TJ and bought a '98. In the end it had 3" of lift, 32's blah blah. Nice clean rig. Sold it for WAY too little and was jeepless for a while.

Ended up getting a $300 MJ and built it up. Leaf spring front SOA rear. HP-44/9" with detroits and 35X15 TSL's. Took it to my first ever CRAWL in July 2005. Traded it away at the CRAWL due to I knew when I got home my wife was leaving and she did. SO I took the 4 runner I got in trade and sold it to buy another XJ. THis time a '98.

Right after that I met my future wife (currently now).

THis one got built right (IMO). D-44's front and rear, 4.88's, full spools, 5" lift and 33's. Did GREAT at the crawl in 2006. Drove it another year (after rolling at the crawl) and traded it for a 4 wheeler as the wife didn't like this XJ for some reason...to this day I still don't know why.

In the mean time we had 2 more 2wd XJ's. a '98 4.0L 5spd and a '99 2wd 4 bngr 5 spd...to this day I KICK myself for not keeping the '99 4 bngr and doing a 4wd conversion.

Then I came into another MJ. 1991 4.0L auto 4x4. Real pretty clean truck...had under 100K miles and this was in 2007. In a real STOOPID move I traded that and a project YJ (with an AMC 360 and waggy D-44's front/rear and 35's) for another TJ...whic turned into a GIANT albatross around my neck.

In a span of 2 months I had to replace EVERY gasket ont he motor, the clutch, master and slave cyls, had a front pinion I could move 1/4" side to side and a rear ring gear with 4 teeth broken off. needless to say I HATED IT. BUT built it up decent anyway. It already had a 4" lift and 33's so I put a D-44 in the rear with 4.88's and a spool and a HP-30 up front wiht 4.88's and a lockright. Nice clean little rig once I got done with it. But as I said ALBATROSS...it just didn't sit right.

So I came across a '78 CJ-5 bone stock and almost 100% original with 78K miles. I asked the guy if he would trade for my TJ and he said sure. So I DD the 5 for about 4 months. After replacing the tranny in it (it blew a $4 synchro spring) I figured well...I'm driving a 32 year old jeep as a DD without a backup. So thie wife and I talked about getting another DD backup vehicle but I did not want to spend a grand or more to buy one and have to put another grand into it.

My friend calls me up and says "My daughter's friend has an XJ for sale cheap". So we went to take a look. 1990 XJ 4x4 2 dr auto. It had horrible springs under it (over bumps the stock 225's rubbed) and it leaked fluids from nearly every place it could...but it ran. THe kid said "The junkyard offered me $150 for it" so I said SOLD! and drove it home.

I named it Ebeneezer (Scrooge) since it had to be a REAL cheap project. It ws surpisingly clean inside and out. The clear coat is peeling all over BUT there is virtually no rust anywhere (I just yesterday found a small bad spot in the pass side rear hatch area).

I have well under $2K in the whole rig which INCLUDES: actual price of rig, tag and registration, 30X9.50s and wheels (tires AND wheels were FREEBIES), 4.10 D-30 front (LP but should be just fine), 4.10 8.25 29 spl rear, 2.5" +- of lift and then replacing all the gaskets etc except for the head gasket, all the freeze plugs (motor had to come out), new injectors, water pump, new radiator, belt etc.
It seems every time I get ridof an XJ...I say..."I don't really want another"...then I end up with one anyway so this one's staying. My 8 YO son has already asked how much it will cost him to buy it from me when he is 16. I said...probably $150. But when you are done with it I'm getting it back!!

So I have my CJ-5, my 1990 CHEAP XJ, and then the same friend who turned me onto this XJ bought another MJ and wanted to flip it. So I made an offer and he accepted. So now I also have a 1988 MJ SWB 4 bngr 5 spd 2wd. I plan to lift it, buiild some nice axles for it and put it on 35's and it will be a trail rig (and capable of DD duy if need be). All total I've had 7 XJ's, 3 MJ's, 2 TJ's, a YJ, a J-10, a CJ-6, and a CJ-5. (this includes what I currently have). I would still like to add to my collection (keeping what I have now and keeping this list of wants as well) a CJ-6, a J-10/20, a full size cherokee, an FC (150 or 170), a willys wagon, and a CJ-10 diesel tug.

Now that I have rambled on enough here they are: (I have no good pics of the MJ yet but it's still all stock and not on the road at all).

The '78 CJ-5. 304, 3 spd soon to have a moser 1 piece rear axle set in the AMC20. And my 1967 M-416. I think I may paint the other 2 jeeps to match these. That way I don't have to get an M-416 for each jeep...not that that is a bad thing though. LOL
dsci0095g.jpg

I had to show this picture. I told my boys if they don't behave this is where they will live. LOL
dsci0067a.jpg

Last edited:
My answer is simple....it was the first Jeep I have owned. Before I bought the Jeep I didn't even change my own oil....now I can just about tear the whole thing apart and put it back together. As for building it: they are fairly easy to work on and fix and upgrade and there is a ton of aftermarket support and I needed a hobby to keep me out of trouble.

Bought the jeep and was a 4x4 i decided since i used to own a 99 s10 that was dropped extremely low that I'd go the opposite direction. Little did I know the addiction that was to follow, now I'm building a cheromanche and I'm stuck on whether I should lower it to give it tight suspension and good street handling or lift it and make it a pavement crawler.

ooohh oooh my turn?
I got a XJ in NC.. lifted it 7" on 33s uncut fenders. lost my job and they repo'd it. Some kid bought it and sank in mud then tore the axle out trying to recover it.
I met my wife in that jeep when we were dating.. She always wanted me to get an other one. One day i was at Travis's shop in Mineral Springs GA (YellowXJ) he had a 91 xj with some bald 32s on it.. i offered him $1200 and i got it. 2 weeks later i got laid off..
l kept it and it kept my mind off of the unemployment i was in .. fixed it on a budget. wheeled it on a budget and could never get rid of it cause it was so fun to drive.
I joined NAXJA, moved to TN, Wheeled with Doug and ever since.. i wheel it almost more then the rubicon.
I love the long wheel base and ability to sleep in the back on camping trips.

Right now Avons on 35s waiting for her new legs!

I don't get over here often, but I still have XJs/MJs kicking around my place.

I started driving in '79 and have always owned a 4x4. There were a couple of years in HS and while in the service that I didn't, but for the most part over the last 25 or so years I've had at least one 4x4 in my stable. Usually more than one.
I wheeled ScoutIIs and CJs for many years...even had a '74 Bronco in there. As well as Toyota, Nissan, Chevy and Ford p-u trucks. Work trucks get wheeled too!
Then in '88 I had a back seat ride in a stock '87 XJ in Ouray, CO. I was so very impressed with the little Cherokee I knew I would end up with one.
My wife and I were married in '92 and the first thing I did was talk her into buying an XJ for her to drive. Then we moved to TX.
We attended the Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree in Texas and I fell in love with an XJ called 'Red Eagle'. It was one of the best looking rigs I had ever seen. Lifted..but not too much...big tires, but not too big...lockers of course and it would go about anywhere. The owner was one of our trail leaders for the day. And the first XJ I had ever seen lead trails anywhere I'd been.
I was so impressed that I started to upgrade my wife's DD, the '93 sport we bought new.

I was working for Just Jeeps in Austin at the time and the wife was in grad school at UT.
The Jeep club we were members of had the unique opportunity to work with Jeep Jamboree folks to help build and organize the YO Ranch JJ. I ran every trail out there in the stock XJ on 30x9.50 m/t tires and no lift. It had some difficulties, but nothing to keep it form making any of the trails. I scratched it and dinged the lower quarters...spun lots of tire. But, even the reps from Chryco thought it was just short of amazing that little Jeep would do what it did. The next year I had the mods done to our sport and we lead trails at the YO JJ. Mark Smith went for a ride around the ranch with me!
I installed a Rancho 3" kit and some 31" BFG m/ts and started to hit a few trails. Went a few places set up like that and wanted more from the little Jeep. So a call went out to Mepco for a Lock Right. Tomken skids, factory tire carrier and brush guard w/tow hook brackets, rock sliders...
We hit other places in TX, NM, OK, and AR.

Here she is pulling a CJ which is hooked to a stuck YJ. Nueces River Uvalde, TX:
nueces94.jpg

When we moved back east my wife wanted a new Jeep so we traded our sport in on a '95 ZJ. I was back to wheeling my Scrambler and needed a DD for NH winters. So I bought a '95 2dr sport for commuting on snow covered roads. Needed a truck and sold the XJ to buy a p-u. The wife bought a new '97 TJ and hated the ride. She promptly bought another XJ a '98 sport. In 2003 I bought another XJ a '98 and went to URE in '04 for a naxja run. Only one I ever made it to. Had to sell that XJ to pay my taxes in '05. Sucks being self employed sometimes.

I think they are about the best first car for a teenager. Solid, safe, dependable and easy/cheap to maintain.
For me, now, they're too small. I have 2 kids and there's zero room behind the drivers seat. I've been driving 'Burbs, Wags and crew cab trucks since I sold the white XJ in '05.
This was a badass little Jeep. 3" w/31 PC m/t. Hooked to the boat and headed home from FL. Summer of '04:
Floridavacation828-83004044.jpg

The XJ I have now (my brother's '93) is donating it's life to resurrect my '74 Cherokee.
iansxj.jpg

In trade he gets the MJ. We talked about fr/rr Wagoneer axles, swapping the 4cyl for a 6..maybe bowtie 4.3...maybe not.

Back