• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the best Track Bar for a 6"-7" lifted XJ?

Four2score

NAXJA Forum User
Mine is straight right now and is forcing my Jeep left every time I hit a bump or dip. Is there a superior panhard bar that will make a lifted Cherokee drive smoothly or allow the suspension to move in a more up and down fashion instead of a rolling motion?

I've looked at Rough Country, RE, JKS, and Kevins Off Road but am curious if I need to spend the money on the KOH or if a Rough Country or alike will get the job done just fine?

What are your thoughts & experiences?

I would go with something of good quality. I would say KOR or ironman4x4fab

Is your current trackbar on the stock mount or is it already a drop-mount setup? A drop mount obviously helps with the angle and bumpsteer.

If you're already running a drop-mount and still aten't happy with the bumpsteer you might start looking at OTK steering with a raised axle-side mount.

I just ordered an ironman4x4fab heavyduty trackbar which drops the mount 1". Ironman customer service is great. You're welcome to come over and check out the craftsmanship on it once it comes in and decide if you think it's worth the coin.

Also, RC was out of stock on their tracbar last I checked ( a few days ago ).

The symptom you described is bumpsteer. It will happen no matter what shape the track bar is. The fix is to make the angle of the track bar match the angle of the drag link.

Goob, yours is not as high as mine so I'm not sure the comparison in ride would be fair. When I drove your truck a couple months ago it rode awesome with whatever was on there at the time. I think saw I the RC on feebay but want nothing to do with it if it doesn't help my problem. Did you lift yours more?

I do have a drop down bracket and the track bar itself is made really nice with a Johnny joint on one end, poly on the other, and cro-mo tubing but I think I've got some angle issues going on. The johnnyjoint is adjustable so do you think I could possibly just buy a bent trackbar somewhere and put my JJ on it?

Oddly enough I was actually looking at the Teraflex OTK kit but was not looking forward to the $650 outlay. LOL! I'm sure the IM is every bit as good of quality as the KOH. I can get either at $300 so it basically boils down to which is best. But I'd like to use parts I already have if possible.

Or...... check out my pics & see if you see something else going on???
(It drives horrible though....) Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I have no sway bar. Big difference??? Look at my diff, no SB mounts! That’s why I want yours, well, that and the truss…. ;)

DSC02742.jpg

man that is rough looking but you can fix it

the track bar axle side mount needs to be relocated... it is way too low

I have used the JKS track bar mounts that welds on and it works well... I think you can still keep a strait track bar with that set up but you might need to shorten it some/ adjust... anyhow this will bring the panhard bar/ track bar almost parallel with draglink by using the JKS or similar product

also you might want to look into a steering like ballistics that uses heims... your tre at the pitman arm i bet is shot with that much angle and stress on it... you have enough lift that the stock set up is struggling with the angles... JCR also makes a decent OTK kit but you have to ream the knuckles... I like heims because you drill strait for desired bolt and heims are cheaper to replace than 1 ton tre's and last a good while... i did the WJ knuckle swap with 7 inches lift, heims and 1.25 x 1/4 wall DOM steering on my xj and it could DD no problem... did not even need steering stabilizer though i did have hydro assist eventually...

oh and swaybars help some for side to side stability but if you are having bumpsteer, DW or rough steering problems you need to fix the situation at hand... do not worry about swaybars until you get the trackbar and steering issue fixed... terafelex makes some bolt on relocation sway bar mounts as well as JKS

how are your ball joints?

if you are handy with metal you can even make the parts below

check out these links

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...0_925&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=FABParts

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...0_915&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=FABParts

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...s&Product_Code=RC-RAM999&Category_Code=BP-B_S

if he pulls the drop bracket, that bar will hit the oem bracket, and probably be too long

i say you go OTK 1-ton steering + OTK trackbar. via jcr, jks, and a custom bar.

On the BDS long arm kits, the track bar diff end goes to the stock steering stab mount which would be about perfect in this case. That and the track bar frame bracket would fix it for the most part. I've done a number of these kits and they do drive well, with little to no bumpsteer.

Hmmm... That might just work.

My first thought is what do I do with the steering stabilizer? Just ditch it?

And second, I'm thinking that the track bar may be a little long, but only way to tell is to turn it all the way in & move it and to if it works.

Back