• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What exactly does this do?

Lou said:
I adjust my assmouth daily.

Are you saying you don't appreciate my insightful commentary, or did you just mis-type azimuth?

fire325 said:
Learn somethin' new everyday. I have adjusted mine 2 different ways. 1) by opening the throttle cable all the way, and let go. 2) by using the gas pedal to the floor. I get a different setting with both methods. #1 method, it shifts harder. #2 method, it shifts softer. Which method is the best?

Oh, and thanks for letting me know the real truth to that. I appreciate it :wave:

sjx40250 said:
Out of curiosity, is the TCU the same for both 90 and 91? Could you add the comfort switch to new vehicles?

Why? dont mess with a good thing. the diference would be marginal at best! I have it on my 87 and have been driving it the power mode since day 1 and I now have 325k on it. I dont have the switch on my 94' and cant tell any difference between the 2 as far as shifting.

Well, there are at least two reasons.

1. My wife really has a hot foot and I have noticed a difference in MPG between the two positions on my 90. If I let her drive my 92, I would like to set her back. Although she may be set back by my semi-auto mod.
2. I have a spare TCU out of an 89 and I would like to know if they are the same and can be swapped as a spare. Not that there is a history of TCU's going bad.

I found this post many pages ago and was hoping to revive it because I'm still not sure which is the best way to use this accessory. Should I be using Comfort or Power? I have an 89 XJ that I use to surf fish the shores of Long Island.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Last edited:
jbt114 said:
I found this post many pages ago and was hoping to revive it because I'm still not sure which is the best way to use this accessory. Should I be using Comfort or Power? I have an 89 XJ that I use to surf fish the shores of Long Island.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Beats the hell out of me how it would be in sand, the only time I use the power version (have an 89 as well) is going up steeper canyon roads, kicks in like an overdrive, which matches what the guys were saying about shift points.

jbt114 said:

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Two options here.

1. Set it to Power and leave it. The factory did this when they removed it. Evidently they believe that setting to be good for everything.

2. Spend some time testing each switch position in the sand and find out for sure.

I would probably go with one and act like I was doing two so I got more time in the sand.

Sarge

Towheelie said:
I was told it also keeps the auto tranny from shifing into overdrive (?) Never really checked to see if it does or not.

Well that's not true. Use power. I got better milage in power, when I used to use the TCU. Comfort just shifts too low.

Back