• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What exactly does this do?

not sure but i think it changes your shift point at WOT
and mabye your fuel consumption

mines always on
POWER

Always wondered this also. Mine seemed to shift better when on comfort before I got a new tranny.

-Dillon

dont use comfort at all!!! i had an '87 (rip) and whenever i put it on comfort mode, gas mileage dropped like 4 mpg due to slippage i imagine. but yeah, confirm the guys, it changes shift points.

All it does is change the shift point in RPM. It has nothing to do with slippage. The idea is that it would improve MPG and give you more power when towing or climbing steep hills. They quite offering the switch in 91.

You can do the same thing manually by adjusting your transmission detent cable. Cable may be called something else, i've always heard it called "Detent Cable".

That was finally done away with in 92 when they went to Power permanently. Prior to that, the switch changed the shift points as stated earlier.

fire325 said:
You can do the same thing manually by adjusting your transmission detent cable. Cable may be called something else, i've always heard it called "Detent Cable".
wrong. very different.

the TV cable which runs to the throttle body controls the hydraulics inside the tranny directly. the power/comfort switch only affects the electronics in the TCM. leave your TV cable adjusted properly.

Learn somethin' new everyday. I have adjusted mine 2 different ways. 1) by opening the throttle cable all the way, and let go. 2) by using the gas pedal to the floor. I get a different setting with both methods. #1 method, it shifts harder. #2 method, it shifts softer. Which method is the best?

Oh, and thanks for letting me know the real truth to that. I appreciate it :wave:

It's in the Owner's manual:

Automatic Transmission Mode Selection Switch
Automatic Transmission mode selection allows you to select different transmission shift characteristics to suit your driving style and road conditions. The switch has two positions"

Power: In this mode the transmission will be more responsive. It will upshift at higher speeds under hard acceleration and downshift more quickly. Use this mode when towing a trailer to prolong engine life. An amber indicator light on the switch will glow in this position.

Comfort: This mode is for normal driving. The transmission will upshift att lower speeds for more economical operation.

:lecture: How bout dem apples?

53guy said:
dont use comfort at all!!! i had an '87 (rip) and whenever i put it on comfort mode, gas mileage dropped like 4 mpg due to slippage i imagine. but yeah, confirm the guys, it changes shift points.

and freewithfire says...... The transmission will upshift att lower speeds for more economical operation.

i really except for really muddy/snow situations(blowing doughnuts at school) ... what will get me better mpg?????ill test it too

Back