• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you do for a living

Depending on your ability to endure the military, I'd say stay in, get your 20, retire, and THEN go for another retirement in a chosen career. I'm in Dept of the Army (civilian) Law Enforcement, and yer only looking at 27k a year, doing that. At least you're looking ahead NOW, instead of 'oh crap, what'll I do now.'
By all means, get as much education as you can, while you can.

I second the advice to get as much documented education completed while in the service.

Prospective employers look for completed degrees. An AA or AS degree is better than "six units shy of a BS degree." Employers want to read you can achieve a goal (finish a job beyond that required of the employer).

Instructor and training skills are sought after by employers. Entering the civilian world after Service places you a few years older than the normal entry hire, so you need to show experience dealing with the young-un's (and nothing is better than certification and documented experience as an instructor).

Add every Certification to the resume that you can possibly achieve while in the Service. The qualification may not apply to the job market, but it shows the prospective employer continuing education motivation (it shows you are not lazy, and only along for the ride).

Some of the best new hires I have been involved with were 20+ year Retirees out of the technical side of USAF, Navy, and USMC (and the Logistics side of Army). Technical backgrounds immediately fit into a project completion discipline that applies to Construction and Engineering (both office and field tasks). The logistical organization skills easily transitioned to computer aided Project Management and Supervision. The ability to understand the importance and priority of completing the documentation on contract work places these employees years ahead of most new hires, and results in quick advancement, if you can get along in a less disciplined team environment (because you will be dealing with people who who have not yet learned to not take everything that happens at work personal).

Thank's for the Service, I have two cousins currently in Iraq and a nephew training at Great Lakes. Every working member of the team keeps them alive and well.

Happy Trails!

Did 13 yrs Marines. Worked on RF4B camera systems and F18 Comnav. Got caught in the Clinton era RIF (downsizing). Went to work for McD (as QA on a R&D project which went live) which then changed to Boeing which then downsized me. Working as a sewer and drain tech and making more money now anyway.

Sarge

Back