• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

I agree that there are better tools for every job, but to say a 1/2 ton is dangerous is stretching it a bit in my opinion.

I know a thing or two about towing, I have been a truck driver for the past 12 years, hauling cars for the first 5 of that. I can certainly agree that in your part of the country with the mountains puts you in an area that a 'real' truck would be that much more considered the better way to tow, especially if you have an engine brake.

I'm not disagreeing that a 3/4 or one ton is a better way, just saying that if you set up your 1/2 properly you can tow safely.

picture.php

Last edited:
It is still not the same as a 'real' truck and never will be. Trailer brakes are only part of it. The truck still needs to be able to control the load. A WD hitch does help but at the end of the day is not the same.

On another note, using a 'real' truck is better for the driver as well. There is less stress on the driver and doesn't wear the driver out as much when using the right tool for the right job. I know many who make the '1/2 ton claim' that they are good but after a 8 hour drive they are all beat to hell where those of us who tow with 'real' trucks are ready to wheel all night.

My friend Matty use to claim up and down his 1/2 ton was perfect and powerful and would almost defend it to the death. Now he owns a late model 1 ton and apologizes profusely about how wrong he was defending the 1/2 tons. Running the Sierras here in Calornia not only would wear out his 1/2 ton, he too was worn out from driving it.

To me, towing a full body loaded vehicle on the road requires the proper tools. Towing with a 1/2 ton is like using a vice grip when you should be using a flare nut wrench.....just not good.
Towed my MJ to WinterFest and back with a 3/4 ton van last year. Would do it again, mostly because I got the last van free, ran it for that trip, and ended up selling it at only a $100 loss after the transmission blew up some important parts...

It may have been a 3/4 ton suspension but it sure wasn't much more than a 1/2 ton drivetrain, if that. 318 + 46re = :puke:

It was HURTING going through Pennsylvania. I will say the larger brakes, heavier suspension, and longer wheelbase helped immensely with towing.

I use vise grips on flare fittings all the time, mostly because they are somewhere between triangular and ovoid from 20 years of salt belt rust :gee:

umeby6es.jpg

I don't have a picture with the XJ but he is one from yesterday when I was helping my boss clean up his yard.
07 Dodge. Was a 5.9 Cummins truck, that blew up so I put in a 6.7.

I tow a 4,000 pound Jeep on a 2,000 pound trailer a half dozen time a year.

My wife daily drives my tow rig.

A half ton truck that doesn't go clickety-clack is the perfect tow rig.

i had a 2500hd gas and i hated towing with it felt safe but i got horible gas milage and it was god slow up hills, up in the sierras its all uphill,
have an 07 f250 diesel now and its amazing, also what somone else said, your alot less stressed when your towing is easy, iv towed my ski boat 15 hours and forgot it was behind me and got 16 mpg towing
IMG_8023_zps3123f327.jpg

or towing my 9000lb boat
a739aff7.jpg

Cute little ram appears to be struggling lol...

Struggling my a##. That 5.7 HEMI do 80. Surprised me how easily it pulled the hills on I-65 between Columbia and Nashville.

i hope that is not how it was strapped in when you towed it home......

Still need to repair and reinstall the front tow points. Think about setting in up to flat tow it, and start carrying a couple of spare throttle positions sensors.

Struggling my a##. That 5.7 HEMI do 80. Surprised me how easily it pulled the hills on I-65 between Columbia and Nashville.

Still need to repair and reinstall the front tow points. Think about setting in up to flat tow it, and start carrying a couple of spare throttle positions sensors.

Talking suspension...motors don't make the tow rig, suspension and brakes do.

I had a 03 chevy 2500hd crew cab. But it had the 6.0 gas, towed fine on the freeway but uphills it was sad, got passed by all the diesels... So i bought one, never going back,

Back