• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Wonderlust. lol Mostly at slow speeds it drifts back and forth almost like a bad TRE and she will not return to center (might have solved that with the LCA's and setting the castor). I have done the ZJ swap and new drag link, new unitbearings and braced the frame for the steering box via my 7/16" bumper brackets and steel spacer on the inside. I adjusted the steering box and checked the steering shaft u-joints for play as well. I rotated the tires too just for kicks. I have checked the BJ for play but I am not seeing anything there so honestly that is just a guess as there is not much else it could be.

This has been a slow process as funds are low. I've been just replacing things as I can. I will admit I was kind of saving the BJ's because I'd like to get rid of my LP D30 and put a HP in.

Yup, it was a tad off but I got it to about 6* this am. Also, checked my toe and it was toed out about 3/16". :scared: Adjusted that as well, now it feels so much better. It's kind of hard to tell for sure since the roads are snow packed and it's a whopping 0* but it self centers better now as well.

So today I get the joy of taking out my speakers and my storage rack that sits on top of them to see how my three tool boxes will fit inside. :looney:

Caster makes all the difference in on road driving.

My 2000 XJ (lifted 1.5-2 inches w/ 29 inch tires) goes out of caster/toe all the time. Even with just city driving (I sware you need a 4x4 just to navigate the Denver potholes).
Anyone know why my XJ goes out of caster/toe/alignment all the time?
Or is this an XJ thing?
I would rather spend my money on other things (like beer and gas... and beer) than alignments (and driveway alignments don't always fix the issue either).
Seems I need an alignment every 6 months (usually in the spring [before camping season] then in the fall [after camping 4wheeling season]).

Parts wear and become loose, the roads eat tires and cause stress to said parts, the roads suck...the list goes on and on. I typically get an alignment once a year and then pull some measurements right after so I can maintain it throughout the other months. Having said that my wife's Exploder has not had one for 14 years and the tires wear just about perfect.

Sisters aforementioned new jeep. Will get Budget boost rims and 245 duratracs. Possibly run moabs if I find a deal on a set. Although a grey wheel would look great I think.
image_zps89fad010.jpg

Last edited:
You obviously missed the sarcasm of my post, I would never advocate Chromo tubing on anything outside of a full fledged comp buggy.

And for your information the curb weight of a 4wd XJ is anywhere between 3,057-3,386lbs depending on options. The curb weight of a TJ is 3,082-3,832lbs depending on options. There is nothing lighter about the TJ, in fact fully loaded vs fully loaded and the TJ is almost 500lbs heavier. That full frame and thick tub make for a lot of weight, hence why so many vehicles are unibody.

Yeah right over my head you would think I would catch sarcasm since I use it daily . I guess a TJ is not much lighter in stock form , But since most of the XJ and TJ weights I've seen for built rigs are under 5k and my XJ weighs in at 5600lbs without even sporting a winch I figure if it don't fold under my XJ it will not under most other jeeps .

Your start price of 700 is waaaaaay different from my start price on a factory offered wheel with some rock rash. Ya they are a limited color, but that color ain't gold plating my man. So I don't think we would meet an agreement.

no no no, That is my dads starting price.

I want them gone for space and so I have some money to put towards an access port for the sti!

Decided to go a different route with my build. Picked up an 8.8 this weekend at the local pick and pull. Couldn't resist the 25% off deal. Gonna run it and the 30 for now and save my tons for another project.

Back