• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Overland Diesel makes the adapters and mounts for it to bolt up to the factory T90 bell housing and clutch. I’ve also got a guy adapting me a T98 (4 speed with granny 1st) to bolt up to the T90 bell housing and clutch (it was a rare factory option for the F134 powered CJ’s). I’ll be keeping the Dana 18 t-case and adding a Warn OD unit to the back of it.

I also found an offset rear Waggy D44 and should have found a matching Waggy front D44 too. Those are 58” WMS (the same width as the tub) so a fair bit wider than the stock 51” wide axles.

While I respect the build I just find this to be the kind of nostalgic Jeep build an old fart would be undertaking not a young buck ... ;-)

Just did 4K mi trip.
Did front brakes, rotated tires.
Going to replace exhaust clamps with stainless clamps before they start rotting the pipes.
Thinking about doing some tow hooks up front for winter. Wish they made D-ring conversions still.
Hopefully I can get some time to get out and about soon.

Like the old lady asking "where's the beef"... here is some beef .

4340 1-5/8 non neck down Yukon 14 bolt shafts ...these are noticeably heavier duty in every way over stock these are pretty cheap only about $ 200 a shaft the stockers are still in great shape and will be spares .
IMG_20181102_28912.jpg

Outer rear heavy duty frame plate all 3 sides the inside is plates on the floor as well... stitch welded and plug welded . still need to fish plate each jointed section
IMG_20181102_8568.jpg
Rear view of mega truss ...I lost the Claytons truss in the v notch , so pardon the everything but the kitchen sink style beef up .
IMG_20181102_11529.jpg
Inner side rail plating 1/4 inch cut for perimeter stitch welds and no shortage of plug welds.
IMG_20181102_36461.jpg

IMG_20181102_25504.jpg

Need to retube upper arms and drive shaft since I had the devil win the 120 wheelbase debate while cutting the new lowers thus why so much blue slip shaft spline showing on the drive shaft... I can't wait to take it back to cleavland rock.

Last edited:
I can’t tell if you’re having to ‘kitchen sink’ it because it’s so damn heavy. Or it’s so damn heavy because you ‘kitchen sink’d It. Feel like if you cut some of the weight instead, you wouldn’t need all that.

I can’t tell if you’re having to ‘kitchen sink’ it because it’s so damn heavy. Or it’s so damn heavy because you ‘kitchen sink’d It. Feel like if you cut some of the weight instead, you wouldn’t need all that.

Meh it weighs about 5600lb trail ready that's pretty much in line with the average xj at this build level . I'd rather a few extra pounds than be sorry ... an extra 100-200lbs of steel vs twisted frame , spun housings , and lost link mounts. Lightweight, built well , and full body don't go together on an xj with 1tons and 42s .

Sure it does if it’s well thought out and not hacked as you went.

Not very many well thought out full body XJ builds on here or pirate based on that then ... had I gutted it and used mostly tube it would weigh less . What you suggest is an xj that is mostly tube not a well thought out full body XJ. When I first got this xj it had no frame rail beef added , no cage , axles with no trusses, rear leafs which weigh less than links and a link bridge... At that point it was like Mike's last XJ a set of half built axles under a basically stock very lacking unibody that if you flexed it up the hatch would not open or close due to misalignment . I can open and close my hatch even upside down .

That’s about 1300# heavier than my full body was on tons and 40’s loaded for Moab.

There's a lot missing between my XJ and the chili pepper ... had you built the axles with some full trusses, added a full cage , subframed it for your links , linked the rear , plated most of all 3 sides of the unibody rails , got rid of the stock coil buckets and springs added coilover towers and bracing you would be in the 5,000 lb club . My xj is built basically like all the other full body XJ builds and weighs about the same ...lol... aside from a few extra pounds per foot here and there with thicker choices in frame plate it has nothing that should make it unbelievably heavy over the rest .

A stock XJ weighs 3500 lbs empty some simple math of adding all the usual stuff from axles to cages says a completely built XJ that still has all of it's unibody is going to be 5k lb Jeep .

Geared and locked, aftermarket mounts, hydro is a half built axle?
What’s need to truss an axle 3.5” .6 wall tubes? It didn’t get jumped. Lol.
My Jeep was plated front to back 3/16. Not sure where you get it was a slinky that twisted up. I could open and close doors and hatch whenever. Lol.
I’m not hating on your rig. I’m saying you weigh a ton and if you had t of gone as heavy in some spots you wouldn’t need to be as heavy in others and may have saved yourself a ton of weight overall, which would be less wear and require less heavy duty parts elsewhere.

The Chineseium is strong with this one!

20181021_205503.jpg

The Chineseium is strong with this one!

20181021_205503.jpg

I see a hobofreight n fool winch , but can't make out what's going on around it with the springs and plastic looking stuff . I need to pick up a cheap winch for my trailer and one for my Dodge the trailer may be a hobo 12000 I think a cheap smitty or one of warns cheap winches for the truck either way the one for the dodge needs to be at least a 15 k so it will be 30k with a block since dodge + loaded jeep trailer weigh almost 18,000 .

I see a hobofreight n fool winch , but can't make out what's going on around it with the springs and plastic looking stuff . I need to pick up a cheap winch for my trailer and one for my Dodge the trailer may be a hobo 12000 I think a cheap smitty or one of warns cheap winches for the truck either way the one for the dodge needs to be at least a 15 k so it will be 30k with a block since dodge + loaded jeep trailer weigh almost 18,000 .
A web search indicates the Smittybuilt is another product made of Chineseium. If I had the money to buy a truck like yours, I'd put a Warn product on it.

Looks like one of those flip up plateholders?
No, it is a "Cable tensioner to prevent cable tangling."

I have since relocated the license plate. There are a few other things to do before it can be put into service.

A web search indicates the Smittybuilt is another product made of Chineseium. If I had the money to buy a truck like yours, I'd put a Warn product on it.

I thought smitty built was a decent winch ? ... not exactly a warn , but not complete trash .

Back