• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

You kids these days and wanting clean vehicles to work. You should see all the built up sludge and grime underneath. :D

Yesterday I created a pile of parts in preparation for installing a cage this coming weekend.
bl8nSsg.jpg

And today I said goodbye to these
eVj4mVM.jpg

While in yesterday's t-storm I stilted the rear at ride height and proceeded to prep and then start cutting holes for my rear struts ... I may redo the rear fuel cell cabinet as well currently it's his 3/4 16 gauge tube with aluminum plate as panels , but I think cutting it out will make it easier to work in the bay and I'll just make the new tube part of the tank frame cover ...I hate cutting out inner fender crap is a bitch to reach and prep.

That is some killer work there Dutch! Gonna be nice when it's done.

IMG_20180828_35828.jpg
New lower joints with 3/4 thru bolts for piece of mind
IMG_20180829_41960.jpg
Cut a hole in zee frame to mock up the rear strut to see what hits and what fits using a junked artec tower I had sitting. After cutting the frame and tacking in a temporary axle mount and tower everything fit easy so cut out the other side mirroring the driver side. When the two new towers arrive they will be ready to weld right in .
IMG_20180829_559.jpg

The towers as they will basically sit in the cargo bay . The square tube is getting cut out it is the frame for my fuel tank cover plates I will run some 1-3/4 tube at the top of the tower and down to the floor pan and through the hatch into rear bumper and a spreader between both towers and use that new tube work to hang new cover for the tank .

Last tube is in, tomorrow I can spend my day off painting. Should have it back on the Jeep and start figuring out where to trim my fenders, headliner, and carpet on Saturday.
wBH0eBL.jpg

OsjhISq.jpg

Since this is prefab cage I assume the butt spliced sections of tube in the halo are that way from the designer of the cage ...But why ?

Yes, the ones in the halo are from them. It was to make it smaller for shipping purposes.

The ones in 3 of the 4 diagonal bars are because I suck.

This guy followed me home today, just another piece of the puzzle coming together for my build plans on the CJ5

pW9i1WH.jpg

aR2Fp68.jpg

oeOKyrQ.jpg

wnKVd7R.jpg

Well now... What's that out of? That'll make a sweet little Jeep to get around in. I recently picked up a 12v Cummins engine. Needs rebuilt but not gonna pass up a free complete p pumped Cummins. Now I gotta find something to put it in.

Its out of a Carrier Reefer unit, they're also used in Bobcats and stuff. We have an IDI one in our bobcat at work. Guys are getting pretty decent power out of them with turbos. About 75-90 at the wheel and over 250 ft/lbs of torque.

Back